www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 19-04-21, 09:25   #7651
killchan
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
In my opinion, you guys are overstimating the effect of story in TR games. Because in TR franchise story was never that important.(Newest TR games had forgettable stories and yet all of them were hugely successful while AOD with a great story wasn't successful)
Connecting dots is really not your thing.
Old 19-04-21, 10:42   #7652
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:

In my opinion, you guys are overstimating the effect of story in TR games. Because in TR franchise story was never that important.(Newest TR games had forgettable stories and yet all of them were hugely successful while AOD with a great story wasn't successful)
A rather large amount of people actually think Reboot Lara is 100 good and a direct upgrade from the "sex doll" classic Lara.
Old 19-04-21, 21:04   #7653
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Connecting dots is really not your thing.
Actually, I am pretty good at that.

Core Design could have spent less time and budget on story and the complicated lore of AOD(Which majority of it didn't even appear in the game) and instead spent that on fixing the game itself.

Also, writing good stories would require making the gameplay in the service of story while good games always make the story in service of gameplay.(Doom and Duke Nukem games have a pretty dumb stories about a Gary Stu whom goes and kills every demon,Alien and they don't need a better story than that.)

If majority of gamers really cared about story in gaming then Grim Fandango would have become the most successful game of all time.

Writing a good story for TR is a waste of resources. They should just make the story more "fun".

Edit: Let's get real. Lara is a Mary Sue and developers should just embrace that instead of wasting their time trying to write a good story for her.

Last edited by dg1995; 19-04-21 at 21:08.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 22:30   #7654
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Writing a good story for TR is a waste of resources. They should just make the story more "fun".
For me, having a good story is what makes it “fun.”
Old 19-04-21, 23:41   #7655
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Just learned about this. He was working at Crystal Dynamics on Avengers, I believe.

I had hoped that having worked as a co-writer and director on Lost Legacy, that he would have some input into the next stage of TR, but he's already back at ND. So, that's a big no.

I don't know if him leaving means anything in terms of the Avengers moving forward. I have no feel for whether he was integral to that or not.
Old 20-04-21, 00:03   #7656
lance6439
Legend

Of course he left CD after The Avengers BOMBED like the flop is was destined to be. Great to see him back on the WINNING team!

Old 20-04-21, 00:39   #7657
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Having a AAA action adventure like TR with a soulless story doesn't do them any good. TR can have a story that is riveting if it wanted to. They just need a better writing direction and instead entice us with a Lara who's fun and engaging but still has her emotional flaws. I cannot believe we spent years of her origin story, learning more about her parents the entire time.
Old 20-04-21, 02:27   #7658
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

They really just need to master suspense and action plot points that flow naturally. I would like dense x-file vibes in terms of the investigation of supernatural element and also tone. The story should center around the supernatural. There's enough material in the cannon to dig something up and mix it with something new. Just look at popular media. That's what the reboot did. You could do Lost, Scream, True Detective. They just have to figure out which storytelling format fits Tomb Raider the best specifically for the unified timeline. I think they should do 90's batman and stop ****ing around. but that's just me.
Old 20-04-21, 06:12   #7659
biscuits
Professor

He was jumping ship probably to get the game off his resume.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 06:58   #7660
killchan
Archaeologist

AHHHH, Feels so good to be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Well first of all you're ignoring all the extra steps between "game bombs" and "pack it up boy, you're out".

Second, the first to go are usually those who make the decisions.
Many of those below them get the "thank you and goodbye " card regardless of how the game performs.

And again, if you fail at selling an Avengers game (or making people stick to it for long enough to make 'em spend more time and money on it), that comes with consequences for the company from multiple fronts: investors are sad and they bail, Disney is sad and goes somewhere else for their next projects... so in all of this, if it's true that games don't become games by themselves but there's people behind those desks, you, the boss, can't possibly go to your bosses and say "Oh no no no, It's allright, we don't need to change anything".

EDIT btw if you take a look at this twitter bio

https://twitter.com/ShaunEscayg

Quote:
Creative Director/ Writer
@Naughty_Dog, Ikarus #IKARUS2021• Marvel’s Avengers- Kamala Khan Single Player Campaign • Uncharted- the lost legacy • Noka • Fish
That's very specific... but also a bit confusing.
Does that mean he only worked on the Kamala part of the campaign...?

Last edited by killchan; 20-04-21 at 07:15.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote