www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 18-04-21, 07:08   #1
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Default Working Classic Bio into Unified Timeline: Lara’s Plane Crash with Fiancé

Lara is on the plane. The beginning of the game goes in and out of flashbacks with fades to black. In and out of her lovely plane ride and back to key moments of them meeting. Romance. Intrigue. Lara being put on a horse by her fiancé. Him helping her up. Cut back to them in their plane sharing an intimate verbal exchange. Close ups on the engagement ring. It all goes to **** it crashes.

The whole story with the shaman plays out. Lara says it’s all her fault everyone around her dies. The shaman says some deep ass quote about how self-centered it is to view the whole world as a result of her own impact or something like that. And that’s it, that’s the end of the self-pity we always seem to hear from this girl. This is the beginning of the Lara we know who has closed herself off to other people and is a little more self-reliant and distant.

I think this would be a great start to the unified series because it will bring a little piece of the original bio to the reboot Lara, and we can finally get an answer to Lara’s sexuality (which is powerful and humanizing and important and vital to being fully realized) without having to suffer through a love story throughout the whole game for those who can’t handle it. It has great opportunity for developing Lara’s character and establishing her as an individual with real pain and something to grow from. Roth started her journey, but this is a way more personal loss. This solidifies her life as a Tomb Raider. She almost put that raiding life behind her for a chance at a normal life (I want to see her attempt to sacrifice for this new life and hang up her raiding gear), but this just etches her characterization into stone. She’s a little more hardened from this, but it is very revealing of her vulnerability at the same time. I think it needs to happen to show Lara’s softer side and how that turns her into someone who really understands that all she has is herself and her adventuring.

A widowed Lara is kind of a sexy imagery to me. It’s so personal to her. It’s connected to the classics in a way, even though that’s not really how it appeared in the classic bio, but it was taken that way in the comics (and also from a lot of people who misread the bio), and I think it works really really well. And it just gives Lara true pathos for the first time. Since there’s a chance to remove the whining and take her processing of the situation to a more final epiphany. This would lock in a whole different type of characterization for her. After that, she’s for sure set in her way. (And then she has a trigger which is ****ing great for a future villain like Natla to use on her in a later episode).
First half of the game is making it back to the manor from Himalayas (could be a different location, but Himalayas would be nice as it has history. “This is where my father lost my mother, and now I’m destined to the same fate *cry*”) But it could totally be anywhere harsh where Lara would have to survive and meet a supernatural figure to deliver the message she takes with her for the rest of her life. Lara’s return to her manor is sobering. That’s when her work begins. She’s a shell when she clomps through the door wet from the rain, but without grimace, just gaunt and like she’s been through the ringer. Winston: “Ms. Croft, are you alright?” Lara coldly orders something that signifies her true journey begins.
Make her half process her loss at the mid-point of the game with the shaman, but have her pick up an old mission she had closed the book on when her fiancé proposed, and the conclusion of that tomb raiding story at the end of the game will be the second half of her closure which connects to a lesson from the myth she uncovers (or the murder of a villain who represents something she hates in herself or has been meaning to address related to her strife).

Okay, that’s my idea, I hope you guys are open to it. I would personally love to see another event like the reboot that could have a real impact on building Lara’s character. I think it’s important to see that fragile side of Lara from the reboot on full display, because I want it to die. I want it dragged out into the town square and executed for all to see. And to kick off the unified timeline there needs to be something huge to set the stage. And I think actually giving Lara a love interest would show that CD is willing to GO THERE. Go anywhere with this character, and would show people that anything could happen and broaden the scope of Lara’s life being told without veering too far off from the subject matter we’re used to from the series.

BTW the Lara and Fiance on horse flashbacks lead to Lara really being able to ride a horse in the game. Would be cool and they worked on it already for the canceled game, and vehicles should definitely be on their way back. It's a great opportunity to provide a deep meaning to her "getting back on the horse" in a proverbial and literal sense.

[Edit]: Imagine how haunting it would be to discover down the road that himoko or trinity crashed her plane. But not in a way to make it feel like they were just retconning it into the story. They would have to telegraph it at the initial event. A flash of lightning with a faint eye in the sky that only fan theories and freeze frames would reveal to make it kind of underground knowledge and that much more cryptic.

Last edited by Moon-Safari; 18-04-21 at 07:20.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 10:45   #2
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I don't think unifying will go that far. Lara has a life changing accident at the age of 21 that sets her on her course for a life of adventuring. That's the key thing that happened in her life. I dont think the plane crash needs to appear anymore. Its like how TRA had her hunting for Vilcabamba with Richard but TR1 didn't. Minor details change but the key events remain.
Old 18-04-21, 16:16   #3
Love2Raid
Tomb Raider

The plane crash (in Nepal?) is still in the story but it happened to her mother instead. It would be silly and overly dramatic if the exact same thing happened to Lara as well. She already followed in her father’s footsteps.
Old 18-04-21, 16:18   #4
[Xmas]
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Safari View Post
Okay, that’s my idea, I hope you guys are open to it. I would personally love to see another event like the reboot that could have a real impact on building Lara’s character. I think it’s important to see that fragile side of Lara from the reboot on full display, because I want it to die. I want it dragged out into the town square and executed for all to see. And to kick off the unified timeline there needs to be something huge to set the stage. And I think actually giving Lara a love interest would show that CD is willing to GO THERE. Go anywhere with this character, and would show people that anything could happen and broaden the scope of Lara’s life being told without veering too far off from the subject matter we’re used to from the series.
YAAASSSSS

I hated how she had that really cool bad ass moment in Shadow where she went on a killing spree but then broke down crying into the cheesy Camilla ugly cry. I mean, come on, this was the finale to the trilogy of how she came to be THE Tomb Raider and girl is still having mental breakdowns and crying sessions? No thanks. This whole "omg she's so vulnerable and emotional, she's a real human being" stuff has no place in Tomb Raider anymore, and it's even more ridiculous considering how disconnected the plot is from the mass murder Rambo-esque gameplay.

I am a huge fan of the original plane crash story, and I've always viewed that as the most defining point of her life in the original games, so I think this would be a really cool thing to incorporate into the newly unified universe. They don't have to make it a major part of the game, but flashbacks would suffice, indeed. Also, including the fiancé would help shift the narrative from the sad and depressed daddy's little girl with some serious daddy issues, and finally help Lara make the transition into the mature grown up woman who knows loss and pain, but kicks ass and puts herself in harm's way to feel alive and overcome whatever inner demons she might have.

Love the idea of slickly incorporating the Shaman sub-plot as well. A lot of great ideas in here for sure.
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 16:02   #5
Profc
Archaeologist

I liked your vision for the unification.

But after the Core games, LAU and the reboot, I feel that Lara Croft works better without a fully fledged backstory. My personal favourite TRII, just starts in the middle of the action and it's plot is easier to follow. And my other favourite Lost Artifact has basically no plot, but I still like that game

Last Revelation was the point where the franchise was declining, and all her other adventures in Chronicles felt a bit gimmicky.

On a side note: Lara is usually just investigating an ancient mystery, making her personally connected to the mystery feels redundant. I enjoyed Werner's murder in AOD, but after AOD, they kind of overused this trope. Especially in Legend, where Lara was basically investigating the missing person's case of her mother and Amanda.
Old 19-04-21, 21:39   #6
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
I liked your vision for the unification.

But after the Core games, LAU and the reboot, I feel that Lara Croft works better without a fully fledged backstory. My personal favourite TRII, just starts in the middle of the action and it's plot is easier to follow. And my other favourite Lost Artifact has basically no plot, but I still like that game

Last Revelation was the point where the franchise was declining, and all her other adventures in Chronicles felt a bit gimmicky.

On a side note: Lara is usually just investigating an ancient mystery, making her personally connected to the mystery feels redundant. I enjoyed Werner's murder in AOD, but after AOD, they kind of overused this trope. Especially in Legend, where Lara was basically investigating the missing person's case of her mother and Amanda.
I kind of see your point about the deceased field partner trope. It is way overdone, so that's the biggest hesitation. Maybe sometime down the road they can circle back around to this idea in some form if it fits.
Old 22-04-21, 18:23   #7
Profc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Safari View Post
I kind of see your point about the deceased field partner trope. It is way overdone, so that's the biggest hesitation. Maybe sometime down the road they can circle back around to this idea in some form if it fits.
I actually like your idea for the relationship and such. Some of the fans are way too over protective of Lara. They can introduce the fiance and develop his character in one or two games before killing him off. We never really had a flirty rival archaeologist in the games themselves. Kurtis and Carter don't count :P
Old 22-04-21, 18:55   #8
[Xmas]
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
I actually like your idea for the relationship and such. Some of the fans are way too over protective of Lara. They can introduce the fiance and develop his character in one or two games before killing him off. We never really had a flirty rival archaeologist in the games themselves. Kurtis and Carter don't count :P
As long as Jonah is out of the picture, I'm game
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 19:04   #9
.snake.
Explorer

The fiance never died in the original bio. That's a misnomer due to it happening in the comic books - but in the comics her fiance, mother, and father all die in the Himalayan plane crash.

If you look at Core Design Lara's profile, where her parents are still alive and disown her, it says:

Quote:
Lara's parents though, having sported hopes of her marrying the Earl of Farringdon, were less than convinced about this chosen lifestyle and ceased to associate with their daughter - even terminating her monthly allowance. The Earl is still waiting.

Last edited by .snake.; 22-04-21 at 19:07.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 01:18   #10
Travesty
Hobbyist

I like the idea of unifying but not another plane crash. She already survived one and trekked through a jungle in the last game.

When I think unification I'm thinking of Natla. I know TRA had their cute version of TR1 but Natla has so much more potential. I would love her to be sadistic, and she ends up killing Jonah horrifically. To the point where Lara becomes the cold hearted baddie we love and miss. And maybe she does it when they are just hanging out in their everyday life.

I also think Natla could be more similar to Eckhart from AOD. This could bring up the doppelganger theme and make it a bit more interesting.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote