www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 14-12-20, 01:58   #21
SachinCroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum_123 View Post
I remember reading something about the idea of not including Lara's Home in TR4 was for the feeling of isolation? Similar to TR5.

I think the idea was that you're stuck in the Egyptian setting for the whole game, and that trapped feeling would be lost if you could jump in/out of the Manor. Same for TR5 to keep the suspension that Lara had died, rather than skipping to present day in the Manor.
This seems valid reason.
SachinCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-20, 23:33   #22
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I just think another Croft Manor tutorial level was a little redundant by that point. How many times are we going to explore that same manor, with basically the same layout only with minor additions? TR3 already opened it up 95%.

I love Croft Manor levels, don't get me wrong, but we don't need one in every single TR game. Just like we don't need the classic outfit as a canon/default in every single one.

Anyway TR4 is one of the top three best TRs, the other two of the top three being TR2 and TR3, and that's that on that.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 15-12-20 at 23:38.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 01:46   #23
SachinCroft
Hobbyist

Agree!👍
Old 20-12-20, 19:01   #24
macieg
Hobbyist

The Last Revelation is for me the peak classic game. It has the best story, great FMVs and it really pushes the engine to its limits both graphically and in terms of using it for building puzzles, which are actually real this time. It's not just pressing buttons and pulling levers anymore but solving problems basing on the clues we can find around the locations. The hub areas make backtracking more sensible and not really tedious (of course as long there's something new happening in the location we revisit or if we just pass through it in order to reach a newly unlocked area), spice up the puzzles and make them a bit more complex. Some of them look great as well (Coastal Ruins ). There is also plenty of unforgettable moments, like the whole Desert Train level, action-packed Valley of the Kings section and fights with bosses, that actually require Lara to do something more than just shoot.

Even though I don't really have preferences in terms of locations visited by Lara, I always sense something warm whenever I see the sunny Karnak and Alexandria levels. The mysterious feel of The Lost Library and The Citadel, the dreadful atmosphere of ruined Cairo and the eerie feel of Burial Chambers are fuel for my imagination just when I look at them, making playing the levers a whole different experience than most of the Tomb Raider locations.

It's a bit sad that the 4th instalment of the classic Tomb Raider is not as praised as the earlier ones. I read some reviews from magazines published in my country and got the feel that general public was already bored of Lara after receiving more or less the same thing three times already (not counting TR Golds) and disappointed that TR4 was not revolutionary in terms of graphics and gameplay. Yeah, the game is fun and looks okay for me, a hardcore fan. But that's still the old grid system introduced in the first game and it serving it for the fourth time was not enough to compete with other games n the market at that point. Well, that's what you get when you push a game to store every year.

Last edited by macieg; 20-12-20 at 19:15.
macieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-20, 02:40   #25
SachinCroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by macieg View Post

It's a bit sad that the 4th instalment of the classic Tomb Raider is not as praised as the earlier ones. I read some reviews from magazines published in my country and got the feel that general public was already bored of Lara after receiving more or less the same thing three times already (not counting TR Golds) and disappointed that TR4 was not revolutionary in terms of graphics and gameplay. Yeah, the game is fun and looks okay for me, a hardcore fan. But that's still the old grid system introduced in the first game and it serving it for the fourth time was not enough to compete with other games n the market at that point. Well, that's what you get when you push a game to store every year.
Thank you for such a lovely reply
I feel like if publishers were not hungry and there was no TR2 and TR3 and we got last revelation as TR2 in 1999 after TR1(1996) then I think it would have been greatest sequel of a game in video game industry at that time. 😃
Old 24-12-20, 08:46   #26
paulcoz
Hobbyist

I also love The Last Revelation. It's my favourite TR game after the original and the first sequel that doesn't seem like an expansion pack.

TR 2 & 3 are games I have good memories of, but with the exception of a handful of locations I like to visit are never as fun to play as I remember. I still dust off the CDs from time to time.

Last Revelation is confusing and arduous and I like that I can go back to it and not remember everything.

Last edited by paulcoz; 25-12-20 at 07:29.
paulcoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-20, 01:36   #27
SachinCroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcoz View Post
Last Revelation is confusing and arduous and I like that I can go back to it and not remember everything.
Yess! Totally agree with you ��
I like the fact that it's long and take many replays to finally explore and learn whole game.

Last edited by SachinCroft; 26-12-20 at 11:58.
Old 27-12-20, 06:26   #28
SachinCroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
As much l love all the core design TR games, TR3 is always be my favourite game of all time but I have said this many time before that TR4 is a true Tomb Raiding game.

Sadly, never got a proper credit that core design developer's deserved.
Yess Tr4 is the true Tomb Raider game which offers tombs to raid in unlike half of the other game where game doesn't have even tombs and Temple but they are called TR just because they are part of TR series.
Old 01-01-21, 20:35   #29
New Dwight
Inactive

Whatever happened to this project:
http://raidingtheglobe.com/tomb-raid...-revelation-hd
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 22:03   #30
Mordyga
Historian

^
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...69#post8181069