www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 16-10-19, 14:42   #1
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Default How I would make TR12

Hi,

So, now that we're back to the huge lull of no news, which will likely last for like 2 or 3 years, this is how I'd like the next TR game to be. Keep in mind that this is from a perspective of the survivor era continuing:

So, it was implied that the games after SOTTR might be isolated adventures, instead of having one main plot spawning through multiple games. So, what I'd like for TR4 would be something similar/inspired by TR1/TR3.

I'll use TR1 as example. Imagine the next game being a TR1 reimagining

Since the Scion has three pieces, the game would have three main locations - each location would have a main hub, similar in size to Mission of San Juan (and nothing nearly as big as Paititi).

Each hub would branch out with explorable map around it, and basically the story would be Lara getting clues, and interacting with the environment, and progressing the story with puzzles in the main path, as well as some optional ones, and well balanced combat along the way, until the end portion of that hub, where she gets the piece of the Scion. Obviously, there would be lots of stuff to do and solve before you get the piece. Then, once the first piece is found, Lara travels to the second location, and something similar will happen there. A small hub, with a surrounding explorable area, where you'd get to solve multiple stuff, and progress the story, until you find the next piece. Once the second piece is found, off we go to location 3, and do something similar.

Once all three pieces are found and combined, we then get the "point of no return", in which you can't go back and must progress the final phase of the game, with a couple of more linear levels (let's say 3 or 4), until the final boss confrontation (Natla, in this case).

Since this is within the reboot systems and reimagining, a couple of set pieces, and cinematics around the story would be present. Similar combat with improvements, such as melee combat. Duals should make a return as well. The bow is kept. Let there be freedom to the player to play with the ones they enjoy the most.

Transversal would be similar to the reboot, with some improvements, such as less "magnetization", and maybe multiple ways to reach a place.

Docs should still be present, as I think they are vital to enrich the lore of the game. Maye have less in quantity. Survival Caches should be ditched. Keep the crafting system, as I like to upgrade weapons and gather resources to make stuff. The skill trees should either be ditched, or completely overhauled to something that makes more sense than what it did in SOTTR.

The tone of the games should also be less focused on Lara as a character, since her biggest struggles are mostly dealt with. Have her be less serious, and have a natural evolution that makes sense for the reboot character - that being showing more the side of her that she displays in the comics, where she's more snarky and witty, but isn't a one-liner robot, while still being a caring, respectful, liking character.

I'd like also to have familiar faces coming with her to each location. But they should be around Lara all the time. Maybe in some small portions, where they help her reach something, and that's it.

In combat, I think the reboot has gotten it mostly right in variety, so those type of enemies should come back. Bears, Wolves, Jaguars/Leopards, etc.). Also, I know people are tired of them, but realistically, Trinity should be dealt with that easily. So by this game, Lara should simply know they'd be in some places just to pest her. Trinity as an entity stops being the main focus, and are reduced to those annoying guys. They should be less afraid in supernatural enemies, so they could have a couple of non-humanoid ones. Each main location should have a boss fight before acquiring the piece of the Scion.

Maybe have Kennard as the main "competitor" to Lara, which could lead to some interesting personal confrontations, where it would entice Lara to show her more sarcastic side, and maybe even having him messing with her in some gameplay portions, such as both trying to reach some place/some object, and them trying to cause delays to one another using the environment, for example.

IMO, this game would be a nice Classic/LAU/Reboot hybrid.

What do you guys think? I have given TR1 and Scion reimagining as an example, it could be something more like TR3, or some other artifact/s unrelated to any reimagining.
Old 16-10-19, 14:46   #2
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

No re-imagining of the Classics/LAU please. Continue with Shadow Lara, what’s next for her? An Egyptian adventure like teased in the after-credits cutscene? Make the game light-hearted and the gameplay a mixture of LAU/Reboot. No skill upgrading, she became the Tomb Raider after all.
Old 16-10-19, 14:51   #3
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
No re-imagining of the Classics/LAU please. Continue with Shadow Lara, what’s next for her? An Egyptian adventure like teased in the after-credits cutscene? Make the game light-hearted and the gameplay a mixture of LAU/Reboot. No skill upgrading, she became the Tomb Raider after all.
Shadow Lara would continue. As I've stated at the beginning, this is under the assumption of the Survivor era continuing - this means, the game would be with Shadow Lara, and in this example, with the TR1 story (Scion, Natla, her brothers) reimagined in the reboot - they could make all three siblings bad guys, instead of just Natla, and maybe they were the original founders of Trinity --> Trinity = three = Natla, Qualopec and Tihocan. They've got imprisioned, but their legacy continued on through Trinity and the successors, which as time went by got more powerful. I know I've said above have less focus on Trinity as an entity, but this could actually be a nice plot to me personally

Last edited by Vaskito; 16-10-19 at 14:53.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 14:53   #4
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I think Vaskito was only using TRI as an example, not as a "the next game should be a re-imagine of TRI".

---

Anyways, I'll have a read when I get home. But in the meanwhile I will also leave a link to a thread I once created with a similar goal, although I ended just talking about gameplay and not about story.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 16-10-19 at 14:54.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 14:53   #5
TrustyBow
Professor

Great post!

This is pretty much exactly what I would want. After playing Remedy's Control, I realized that the hub system is really the way to go for an exploration focused TR game. They don't need to get rid of it, they just need to rework it so that by time you're done with the hub, you feel like you've organically explored every area.

Having a hub system but also different locations in the world would be a nice way of bridging the gap between the reboot and Classics/LAU.

Also, the cinematics should be very limited. In your scenario, I think the best case would be to have a cutscene before heading to a new location and after a boss fight, but no more.
Old 16-10-19, 14:57   #6
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Also, the cinematics should be very limited. In your scenario, I think the best case would be to have a cutscene before heading to a new location and after a boss fight, but no more.
Thank you!

As for the portion I've quoted, I want more cinematics than that. I want more, but well balanced. I think the reboot doesn't over do them, so I want something in line with what we've been getting so far in that regard :P
Old 16-10-19, 15:08   #7
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Shadow Lara would continue. As I've stated at the beginning, this is under the assumption of the Survivor era continuing - this means, the game would be with Shadow Lara, and in this example, with the TR1 story (Scion, Natla, her brothers) reimagined in the reboot - they could make all three siblings bad guys, instead of just Natla, and maybe they were the original founders of Trinity --> Trinity = three = Natla, Qualopec and Tihocan. They've got imprisioned, but their legacy continued on through Trinity and the successors, which as time went by got more powerful. I know I've said above have less focus on Trinity as an entity, but this could actually be a nice plot to me personally
To be honest, I'd rather have Natla, Tihocan and Qualopec being the real founders of Trinity than having Trinity defeated off-screen in the most anti-climatic way.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 15:11   #8
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
To be honest, I'd rather have Natla, Tihocan and Qualopec being the real founders of Trinity than having Trinity defeated off-screen in the most anti-climatic way.
Exactly!
Old 16-10-19, 15:37   #9
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

I definitely don't want them to butcher anymore of the classics so it's a no from me to use anything classic related in this reboot universe.

I'm also tired of hubs? Reboots were okay because they were small in size and you didn't spend too much time in them, you always moved on fairly quickly, it kept the variety up. But as the games have gone on they've gotten too big, I'd rather have smaller dense environments that are interesting and filled with fun things to find and puzzles to do, rather than boring filler items.

I agree we should have a less serious Lara, and a less serious tone overall, but I don't mind if the story focus' on Lara, god knows she still needs to be properly fleshed out, I'm just sick of hearing about her dreadful parents, and her dead parents being her only personality trait.

Honestly, the combat is okay for humans, even though it needs something fresh, a rework perhaps? It felt so stale and janky in Shadow, something was off. But the kind of combat reboot has doesn't work for animals, specially the fast ones, we need some sort of re work to the combat to make fighting animals more enjoyable overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
That would've been a really cool twist! Too bad CD aren't clever enough for that.

Last edited by Daft Raider; 16-10-19 at 15:42.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 15:44   #10
Portugalraider
Professor

Well, after reading it, I do enjoy most of you suggestions. Although I prefer to go for interconnected hubs instead of isolated ones, I also think you suggestion can work very well for tomb raider: anything that makes you have to explore the environment to advance the plot, instead of having exploration almost optimal is great IMO.

Although I have to say: let Trinity just die an no return. They had two games to make them an interesting organisation instead of "generic evil organisation number 284" and they wasted both opportunities. Having the Atlantean trio be their leader wouldn't change that. Hopefully it's something the next movie can improve from the games.