Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 13-07-18, 13:51   #12821
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
She solves many puzzles in the new film :

Karakuri (she know naturally how to solve it)
The entrance to her father lab (she read and see the picture and make the connexion)
The Door Puzzle (with the cryptex she have unlocked on the boat)
The Color Puzzle (with the association of several informations)
The mystery of Himiko (it's a puzzle) she understand the legend
Using a trap as a defense system is also a puzzle.

Understanding the mystery behind the myth,believe to the unbelievable and discovering that's what it is to Becoming a Tomb Raider in my eyes. The new film stay true to this.
I know you hate this film being even remotely criticized but...

The puzzle she does on the boat and the door are the exact same puzzle. The door is just the same thing, large-scale, that's why she has flashbacks of the smaller version (which she solved due to reading her dad's notes).

Also she doesn't even make her own chance for escape, Lu Ren does. Then she stands there like an idiot and has to be told by him to run.

She doesn't even fix her own injuries like in the game. She cries to her Daddy and he fixes it for her.

You're right that she figured out Himiko was diseased but you're wrong about that being a puzzle. Also no she didn't figure out what the traps were for. Her father did. He even says "these traps are to keep people in." Which is why she thinks to use it when the time comes.

This is not me at all finding fault with the performance. Just the writing. But I already know you're going to contradict me with a "Oh I actually love the fact that <insert thing>"

So I'll just leave it at that.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 14:32   #12822
AimlessThunder

I wish that she went to uni like in the draft from the script. I wish they showed her passion for archeology more.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 15:43   #12823
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I agree. I don't like that she does not have supernatural powers, but the twist that she was actually a good ruler that sacrificed herself for the sake of her people and the world, when history painted her as evil and betrayed by her generals, really worked for me.
Same. I liked the new take on Himiko's myth as well.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 20:30   #12824
andre_costa

^I was fine with it, but I felt the movie needed a supernatural approach.
andre_costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 21:28   #12825
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre_costa View Post
^I was fine with it, but I felt the movie needed a supernatural approach.
Which I think we all agree with that.

One way I could see the same twist working, while still making it supernatural, could as if her backstory was something like she teaches her shaman powers to her successor, and seeing the successor greatly misuse their new powers. Himiko decides is able to stop her successor, and to make sure no one is able to know learn them once more, she banishes herself to Yamatai, and curses the island so that everyone who reaches it has no way to leave, and are cursed to protect her tomb after their deaths. When her body is destroyed, the knowledge for her powers is finally lost and the curse is lifted.

With this idea in mind, and considering Richard still had to be in the story, he would be dead and his spirit haunting both Mathias and Lara to not open the tomb.

Possible plot-hole: If destroying her body meant the shaman powers were lost, why wouldn't Himiko do it right from the start?

One possible solution: as Royalty, Himiko could be vain, even if a good ruler, and simply not want her body destroyed. Ghost Richard could tell Lara that, making him fulfil his purpose to stop Trinity and save Lara from the curse. Lara would then blow up the tomb, and probably fight and kill Mathias while the tomb is collapsing.

Not a perfect solution at all, mind you, but it would be more interesting, I think.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 11:22   #12826
Ellioft

So I just have posted a tweet to Roar saying I have the new movie in Bluray and at the end I have write "I can't wait for the sequel "
and he like it . ^^
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 12:00   #12827
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
So I just have posted a tweet to Roar saying I have the new movie in Bluray and at the end I have write "I can't wait for the sequel "
and he like it . ^^
Of course he did.

It was a really nice polite compliment you gave.

Always keep your expectations low. Then you're never disappointed ^.^!
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 12:03   #12828
Rai

^ Cool.

I just went to his page and OMG, I'm so unobservant, I never noticed that Lara's taxi in Hong Kong had "TR" on the number plate. Good catch that person!
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 12:22   #12829
Em20

Quote:
and he like it . ^^
Where did you find it? It comes out Wednesday
Em20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 13:12   #12830
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em20 View Post
Where did you find it? It comes out Wednesday
Preorder it to the french Fnac and I have received my bluray yesterday.

Last edited by Ellioft; 14-07-18 at 13:16.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote