www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 08-01-19, 10:41   #13891
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

If Warner are buying bigger stakes in the rights to the first film I'd say they have plans but in fairness it may just be to put it into their streaming service. It's a shame that Tomb Raider didn't scrape into the 300-350M range because we could have got a sequel. Pacific Rim perhaps didn't even turn as much profit as Tomb Raider but it didn't perform as well domestically were it counts. It's a shame that they had a 90M budget for this film when it probably could have kept it smaller and self contained at 60M with better quality story telling.

I still hope another company will see the potential in the international box office and make a bid for the rights if they go up for sale.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 08-01-19 at 10:47.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 10:50   #13892
FanosCroft
Professor

I dont even get why TR flopped in US, like the movie wasnt that horrid and it looked promising in the first place, americans r weird.
Old 08-01-19, 10:52   #13893
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

In all fairness at the end of the day the film was MGM's most succesful film out of their major box office releases besides A star is born so Lara has atleast made a successful financial year for them.

A Star is Born - 36M budget - 399M B/O
Tomb Raider - 90M budget - 275M B/O
Creed 2 - 50M budget - 152M B/O

Although credit is due to Overboard which was made for 12M and grossed 90M.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 08-01-19 at 10:56.
Old 08-01-19, 10:53   #13894
FanosCroft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
In all fairness at the end of the day the film was MGM's most succesful film out of their major box office releases besides A star is born so Lara has atleast made a successful financial year for them.
Wig
Old 08-01-19, 11:03   #13895
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I still think the best solution is for Tomb Raider to continue via streaming exclusive. The exclusivity is what gets people to tune in and why films like Bird Box and Mowgli have worked so well in that format. There are no major streaming VOD services yet in China so it still means they can do a limited theatre release there and capitalise on that market similar to how Annihilation did for Netflix.

If they can film something around the scale and VFX scope of Solomon Kane for 40 million or Resident Evil for $45M then Tomb Raider should be able to aswell. An adaption of Rise could easily cost less if they shot in Iceland or Canada with focus on practical effect scenes and their major set piece being the bear scene. Make it a more intimate character driven affair between Lara and Ana.

The film will have more female agency with Ana as the villain (cut out Konstantin), Sophia as a supporting female cast member and we can appeal to the Chinese box office with Lu Ren returning in place of Jonah.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 08-01-19 at 11:12.
Old 08-01-19, 11:17   #13896
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I still think the best solution is for Tomb Raider to continue via streaming exclusive. The exclusivity is what gets people to tune in and why films like Bird Box and Mowgli have worked so well in that format. There are no major streaming VOD services yet in China so it still means they can do a limited theatre release there and capitalise on that market similar to how Annihilation did for Netflix.
There is a clear interest in the franchise in the whole international market though, not just in China. Internationally, the movie made more than both AJ ones, even with inflation in mind. Not saying streaming couldn't be good (and Alicia is not above it, two of her next projects are for Netflix), but it seems a bit of a wasted opportunity not to try and bring that money in.

Also, let's not forget that marketing was terrible for this movie, and it was released in a very bad time to succeed (between two very hyped Marvel movies). Maybe at a better date, with better marketing, and american audiences would tune in better (although the movie does seem to follow the usual Domestic/International BO ratio videogame movies seem to follow).

Or maybe be it a stream exclusive just in the US? Like a reverse Annihilation? Could also be a possible strategy, though I don't like it that much...
Old 08-01-19, 12:16   #13897
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Stop with Streaming. I do not want a TR on Netflix. TR deserves a big budget. Once it becomes something of television and never ever will return to the cinema. Stop wanting to devalue the franchise, thanks.

TR would have worked better in summer. August there was no competition and The Meg made a lot of money for that.

The solution for TR is simple:

Forget about doing something dark and complex (The time of batman begins step. Nobody wants to see dark reboots anymore ... Aquaman and Marvel have shown that light, color and fantasy rule). A fun adventure, with many places, mythology and Lara wearing their iconic clothing (people know Lara Croft for her braid and pistols, they do not want another girl with bow).

Put temples, jungles, monsters in the middle of summer and with a funny script and a girl with two pistols and it will be a success. (not worth including the Cradle of Life, that movie was spent all day in cities, the trailer was horrible). I still think that adapting the script of TR1: Atlantida, Natla, tyrannosaurus, temples, would be a success now.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 08-01-19 at 12:19.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 12:26   #13898
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Stop with Streaming. I do not want a TR on Netflix. TR deserves a big budget. Once it becomes something of television and never ever will return to the cinema. Stop wanting to devalue the franchise, thanks.

TR would have worked better in summer. August there was no competition and The Meg made a lot of money for that.

The solution for TR is simple:

Forget about doing something dark and complex (The time of batman begins step. Nobody wants to see dark reboots anymore ... Aquaman and Marvel have shown that light, color and fantasy rule). A fun adventure, with many places, mythology and Lara wearing their iconic clothing (people know Lara Croft for her braid and pistols, they do not want another girl with bow).

Put temples, jungles, monsters in the middle of summer and with a funny script and a girl with two pistols and it will be a success. (not worth including the Cradle of Life, that movie was spent all day in cities, the trailer was horrible). I still think that adapting the script of TR1: Atlantida, Natla, tyrannosaurus, temples, would be a success now.
You know Netflix has literally spent more on some of their films than most blockbusters do and had more success than most cinema releases too so I have to respectfully disagree with your comment on the devaluation of the franchise.

Having a streaming format pick up Tomb Raider is very lucrative as fans we want to see it as a AAA franchise playing in theatres with huge box office profits but from a producers perspective three critically divided films with a subpar domestic box office doesn't look good let's be realistic here.

I get what you're saying and I hope that the international numbers will help them reconsider a sequel but I don't know if that's the realistic option. Tomb Raider is proving to have a more successful and popular longevity on SVOD and ancillary sales domestically.

What Tomb Raider needs to be better isn't its direction or it's effects or it's sets it's the writing which has been a recurring problem with all of the film adaptions thus far and the video game film industry in general. Producers cash into video games because it's easy brand recognition for them and they are favouring popularity over quality which has to go hand in hand.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 08-01-19 at 12:33.
Old 08-01-19, 14:46   #13899
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
I still think that adapting the script of TR1: Atlantida, Natla, tyrannosaurus, temples, would be a success now.
I agree. I'm actually surprised that given how much the games have provided, we haven't seen more supernatural/sci-fi elements. That's the stuff that appeals to most American audiences.
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 15:32   #13900
Portugalraider
Professor

Can I say I'm not that sure if going all T-rex and mutants and more sci-fi elements would really work in the movie's favour? A more light-hearted tone and some supernatural stuff, definitely. But leaning too heavily on "ancient advanced technology" I don't think so...

Mostly because it's not what people expect from the Indiana Jones-style of movies Tomb Raider is part of. It didn't even work for Indiana Jones itself, if we look at Temple of the Crystal Skull.

Personally, I'm more team RotTR as the next adaption. Of course without the Richard element because it was already done, and with a more recognisable, dual pistols wielding Lara, and a lighter tone like the first movie (maybe a bit less dark, since she is no longer an inexperienced girl in a dangerous situation).