www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 21-05-22, 17:01   #1
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Default Crazy prices for games

Out of curiosity what are the most expensive games you've seen on sale either physical games or digital games.

Earlier today I was in CEX to see if there was anything worth buying, while there I saw Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on sale for 110 euro claiming to be asking for a friend I asked was the price accurate or a mistake he said it was accurate and said it was for the collectors edition.

I googled MGS Twin Snakes collectors edition when I got home and found no evidence of there being one.

Collectors editions weren't common back then, limited editions of games didn't become common until sometime during the PS3's lifetime like the Fallout New Vegas limited edition that came with poker chips, playing cards, a comic book a Lucky 38 platinum chip and a making of New Vegas DVD and Fallout 3 which came with a lunchbox.

Collectors editions weren't common until sometime during the lifespan of the PS4.

Many years ago one day in GAME I saw a card game called Eye of Judgement on sale for 110 euro and the most expensive digital game I've seen Assassin's Creed 3 90 euro on PSN which is excessive for a game that comes with no box, disc or manual.

That was years ago I'm not sure how much AAA digital games cost these days I stopped checking years ago.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-22, 19:00   #2
redfox45
Professor

I recently attempted to buy Twin Snakes again and was amazed by how much money it was going for these days. No idea why, it's widely considered to be an embarrasing joke of a remake that almost everyone hated.
I still bought it though ended up getting a decent copy for about £70 but I blame that on the remnants of my old fanboyism.

I was browsing old favorite SNES games on ebay and what they were going for these days with packages that survived in good condition.
One sealed copy of Super Mariokart was being sold for £6000! Another for 18000!!

I mean i'd love to own a copy that I could look after but...yeah maybe if I win the lottery or something

Last edited by redfox45; 21-05-22 at 19:01.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-22, 19:10   #3
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

Stuff has been getting absolutely crazy, a bunch of (3)DS games are absolutely bonkers these days. I absolutely loath that it's become a serious business, all the while Japanese versions often goes for pennies...
Old 21-05-22, 20:07   #4
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I recently attempted to buy Twin Snakes again and was amazed by how much money it was going for these days. No idea why, it's widely considered to be an embarrasing joke of a remake that almost everyone hated.
I still bought it though ended up getting a decent copy for about £70 but I blame that on the remnants of my old fanboyism.

I was browsing old favorite SNES games on ebay and what they were going for these days with packages that survived in good condition.
One sealed copy of Super Mariokart was being sold for £6000! Another for 18000!!

I mean i'd love to own a copy that I could look after but...yeah maybe if I win the lottery or something
I hated Twin Snakes too, stick with the PS1 version it's far superior to the remake.

Twin Snakes was mentioned in a recent issue of Retro Gamer in their top 25 GameCube games feature, Twin Snakes is number 22 on the list.

It said this remake of Metal Gear Solid divides opinion some love the updated graphics and new mechanics and some hate the new audio and flamboyant cutscenes.

What I disliked most about the remake is:
MGS2 controls which ruined the boss fight with Revolver Ocelot which is better in the original, in the remake the MGS2 controls make it easier to shoot him and quickly end the fight, too quickly for my liking
The aftermath of the second fight with Sniper Wolf was nowhere near as emotional as it was in the PS1 version
The unnecessary addition of some of the new cutscenes like Solid Snake backflipping off a missile in mid air was unnecessary and added nothing to the game
Trying to get the keycard to change in the blast furnace or whatever it's called, I waited over 40 minutes for the keycard to change and it didn't, in the PS1 version it took only a few minutes

Twin Snakes is my least favourite remake, my second least favourite remake the RE3MAKE, my third least favourite remake FF7REMAKE.

Kojima alone should have produced and directed the remake not whoever it was that directed the remake had Kojima directed it, it would have been better than it was, Metal Gear Solid is Kojima's alone and no-one else's, only Kojima can make a Metal Gear Solid game the way it's meant to be made.

Look at what happened when Konami made a Metal Gear Solid game without Kojima, the result the worst Metal Gear Solid game ever made.

The RE2MAKE collectors edition was on eBay for excessively high prices like 2000 or more, having just checked a second ago it's on sale for varying low prices like 285 and 300 and 334 dollars, the RE3MAKE collectors edition is going for similar prices from 155, to 285, to 433, to 468 pounds and other varying prices.

I wonder how much someone would pay for the ET games that were buried in New Mexico.
Old 21-05-22, 20:49   #5
rewak
Professor

Kojima did produce Twin Snakes, he oversaw and guided the whole development and he was the one that mandated the redone cutscenes! The developers wanted to do a straight remake of the original cutscenes but Kojima was the one to ask Kitamura to redo them all in the over the top style they now are. For any flaws Twin Snakes has you can't put those on Silicon Knights when Kojima himself had admitted to doing that part of it. You can even see it in the later MGS games where Kojima went hard on action movie style cutscenes.

Anyway by far the most overpriced game I've seen is Rule of Rose. People make out it's this really rare game but it's not, you can easily find copies of it all the time, they're just ridiculously jacked up in price because of the reputation it has. I hope the original developers actually get to remaster it, they've been pretty vocal about trying to. I like collecting games but I have a limit and the current prices or that game are well beyond it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
Stuff has been getting absolutely crazy, a bunch of (3)DS games are absolutely bonkers these days. I absolutely loath that it's become a serious business, all the while Japanese versions often goes for pennies...
And this is why I frequently scope out Japanese auction sites! So many rare games are available for cheap there. I got a signed copy of Resident Evil 6 for about $3 from Japan, I know it's RE6 but still
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-22, 14:14   #6
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
Kojima did produce Twin Snakes, he oversaw and guided the whole development and he was the one that mandated the redone cutscenes! The developers wanted to do a straight remake of the original cutscenes but Kojima was the one to ask Kitamura to redo them all in the over the top style they now are. For any flaws Twin Snakes has you can't put those on Silicon Knights when Kojima himself had admitted to doing that part of it. You can even see it in the later MGS games where Kojima went hard on action movie style cutscenes.

Anyway by far the most overpriced game I've seen is Rule of Rose. People make out it's this really rare game but it's not, you can easily find copies of it all the time, they're just ridiculously jacked up in price because of the reputation it has. I hope the original developers actually get to remaster it, they've been pretty vocal about trying to. I like collecting games but I have a limit and the current prices or that game are well beyond it!

And this is why I frequently scope out Japanese auction sites! So many rare games are available for cheap there. I got a signed copy of Resident Evil 6 for about $3 from Japan, I know it's RE6 but still
I read somewhere a long time ago that the lead developer on Twin Snakes told Kojima that the cutscenes would be done a certain way in Twin Snakes and that as producer he wouldn't have a say in the direction they would take like the unnecessary scene where Solid Snake backflipps off a missile in mid air, I can't remember what website I read it on so can't post a link I tried googling it to find it and came up empty.

Every Metal Gear Solid game after Twin Snakes were directed, produced and designed by Kojima MGS1, MGS3, MGS4 , MGS5 Ground Zeroes and MGS5 Phantom Pain likely because he was limited to being a producer on Twin Snakes where he seemingly had no say about certain aspects of the game.

None of the Metal Gear Solid games after Twin Snakes had unnecessary over the top scenes like the aforementioned backflipping off a missile in mid air, Metal Gear Solid games can be over the top sometimes Kojima obviously thought that backflipping was too over the top and decided against having scenes that were excessively over the top in future Metal Gear Solid games.

Leave backflipping off a missile in mid air to Tom Cruise, just keep it out of Metal Gear Solid.

Twin Snakes may be better graphically but it feels lifeless compared to the PS1 version, the return to Shadow Moses Island in MGS4 is a lot better than how it looked and felt in Twin Snakes.

The only things that were missing from the MGS4 version of Shadow Moses Island, a Genome soldier still looking for that intruder, a visit to the cells where Solid Snake met Meryl, a visit to the torture room, a visit to where Solid Snake fought Revolver Ocelot and a visit to the area where Snake met Meryl in the toilet and had to fight Psycho Mantis.

In the link below titled Metal Gear Solid Vs The Twin Snakes how not to remake a classic are several posts detailing everything that's disliked about the remake
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jac...lassic.470199/
Old 22-05-22, 14:28   #7
rewak
Professor

Kojima approved and guided everything, he explains that pretty plainly in THIS interview. Key quotes being
Quote:
"And as for the Twin Snakes, I'm the producer and supervisor. My own team and the people at Silicon Knights work together daily, and what they come up with is given to me, and I say you should do this and do that."
Also
Quote:
"Mr. Kitamura really respected and honored the original work, so like the helicopter, the chopper flying up, the scene there is pretty loyal to the original scene. But then we said, "This isn't it. If we're going to have Mr. Kitamura do it, we want him to do it his way." So what you're not seeing now, but what you'll see later on in the game is totally different. You'll be shocked."
So there it is, straight from Kojima.
Old 22-05-22, 15:01   #8
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Games are getting expensive and **** but so is everything else xx inflation is a thing
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 19:40   #9
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

I was browsing in CEX a few days ago when I saw the most expensive games I've seen there so far.

Persona 3 PS2 130 euro

A game I've never heard of Gregory Horror Show for PS2 80 euro

God Hand I've heard of it but never played it I think it was on PS2 65 euro

Persona 4 Arena Multimax PS3 80 euro

Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening limited edition 120 euro

Silent Hill 2 80 euro

A most likely completely forgotten about Konami game Shadow of Memories it's the cheapest rare game I've seen in CEX 30 euro
Old 28-06-22, 22:35   #10
rewak
Professor

I own 4 of those, Persona 3 (the FES version though, not the original), Gregory Horror Show, Shadow of Memories, and SH2 (the original 2 disc PS2 release and the directors cut on PS2, Xbox, and PC). Sometimes I wonder if I ever really needed money would I be able to sell any of the games I have for the prices they're listed online