www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-11-22, 20:54   #31
.snake.
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey van oort View Post
Yeah. Taking distance from the past is precisely what Lara Croft does. Didn't want to sit next to Natla, preserving what she knows.
Jeffrey you’re insane.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-22, 20:58   #32
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
So, Crystal is Lara in disguise !!! Mind blown !
It is not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Jeffrey you’re insane.
If I am, it isn't my fault.
Old 17-11-22, 21:37   #33
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I’m talking about CD. Doesn’t matter who they are under and when. There’s been years of demand. I hate to even say that word because it has entitlement implications. But it’s beyond evident and apparent that there HAS been large demand. And it’s not even something that should be begged for. The TR franchise is one that should have been ahead of most company’s doing remasters (or remakes) - we got smaller niche games getting remastered and remakes where there wasn’t a slither of demand. Aren’t any employers seeing the demand, are they not having passing conversations to others and the lunch table like “actually Beth I keep seeing this influx of classic TR surge about online” - is word not getting around the company? Is it not a big talk? Or is there more concern at group meetings about how many explorers will be accompanying Lara on her next journey?
CD had, and have their hands so full that they didn't even have enough resources for the third mainline survivor TR game, let alone prioritizing remasters over it
Old 17-11-22, 21:54   #34
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
CD had, and have their hands so full that they didn't even have enough resources for the third mainline survivor TR game, let alone prioritizing remasters over it
Maybe that's what Neha meant when she said that ports and remasters aren't a simple thing to do.

Given they are with Embracer now, they have a lot more resources so perhaps they are looking to outsource remasters or ports.
Old 17-11-22, 22:00   #35
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
They don't actually have to do the remasters themselves though and now they're part of embracer I'm pretty sure part of any negotiations currently being underway may be: 'Do we want to do this? If we don't, who does? Who can?'

I randomly stumbled on this video as part of my recommendations, the efforts of fans, who do things in small unpaid teams, really highlights what could be done on a professional level (and also kinda highlights how poor it is that more hasn't happened yet, but I'm not going into that).

This is so impressive, it reminds me of the recent Sonic remasters that were done for the 30th Anni.

Old 18-11-22, 01:18   #36
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

The outlines are cool.
Old 18-11-22, 08:26   #37
dg1995
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
They don't actually have to do the remasters themselves though and now they're part of embracer I'm pretty sure part of any negotiations currently being underway may be: 'Do we want to do this? If we don't, who does? Who can?'

I randomly stumbled on this video as part of my recommendations, the efforts of fans, who do things in small unpaid teams, really highlights what could be done on a professional level (and also kinda highlights how poor it is that more hasn't happened yet, but I'm not going into that).

This is so impressive, it reminds me of the recent Sonic remasters that were done for the 30th Anni.

But still no modernized controls and no lock-on feature. Without these 2 features, it's not worth to remaster the old TR games imo.

Yeah, in RE 1 remake, non tank controls isn't good. But old TRs have fully rendered environments and a camera that is behind the character. So, analog based movements can make those games much better.

EA remastered Command and Conquer 1 and for that they fully modernized the UI.(Since in original CnC 1 you had to build the units one by one instead of making the game to build 10 units for you)

Also, removing fog adds an issue. It allows you to see the enemy AIs that are in idle mode before getting activated.(Since in old TRs the fog allowed the developers to "hide" them from the players until the ai begin attacking the players.)
So, I think they should also change the AI in some places to fix this issue.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-22, 11:31   #38
Valentino
Archaeologist

Quote:
Nah nah nah, if you’re talking about Avengers then that was done and dusted 2.5 years ago. Ignore the DLC. They’ve been on the TR **** since the start of 2021 or even before that. They’ve had time to be talking about the demand
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-22, 12:01   #39
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Nah nah nah, if you’re talking about Avengers then that was done and dusted 2.5 years ago. Ignore the DLC. They’ve been on the TR **** since the start of 2021 or even before that. They’ve had time to be talking about the demand
So, after the Avengers main release, CD has been busy with:

- 2020 -> Deal with covid, remote work issues, and a couple of their main devs being affected by California's fires
- Keeping Avengers running
- Helping with Project Dark
- Transitioning, and training their teams for multiple months into learning UE5
- Developing TR12, from the ground up on the new engine

Sooo....

Last edited by Vaskito; 18-11-22 at 12:03.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-22, 13:27   #40
AshesBorn
Professor

I'd be fine with getting LAU on the Switch.

As for the Classics, I'd like to see more effort put into those than just porting them over with slightly updated graphics/sound. Something closer to how NieR: Replicant ver.1.22474487139... (2021) handled it, where it was a mix between a remaster and a remake. I think AOD would probably benefit from that treatment the most. Otherwise, without significant upgrades, I don't really see the point, personally. The classic games are great, and I love them dearly, but they're extremely dated at this point. Even the inclusion of Turbo Mode would be greatly appreciated, so that I don't feel like I'm moving through molasses.

Quote:
...really lets us push storytelling to new levels.
What an odd sentiment. There are pixel games with extremely compelling narratives, so talented writers don't need all the bells and whistles to competently tell a story. I was just thinking a couple of days ago how technology and hardware keep evolving, yet now it mostly seems to mean higher polygon counts and shinier particle effects. Focus on using those resources and computing power to make more involved gameplay. That should be the most exciting thing about your game.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 18-11-22 at 15:30.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote