Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 11-04-21, 21:48   #71
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Since in 1997 there were only 4:3 monitors, the developers did not implement an adaptation formula for different aspect ratios in the game code, so we have a stretched picture on widescreen, but this was not intended.
Not quite. When you play the vanilla version in windowed mode, you can chose between 4:3, 16:9 or a dynamic aspect ratio. Though unfortunately everything wider than 4:3 cuts off the top and bottom of the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
There is also PS1 8:5 aspect ratio that is cropped even more, like if we get PC picture and zoom it in a little bit. This effect is known as PSX FOV (field of view). It is common for playstation games to have such FOV because player is far from TV comparing to PC player who near to monitor.
AFAIK a lot of console games also haver a lower FOV so that the console has to draw less of the scene to get a better performance.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 08:24   #72
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Not quite. When you play the vanilla version in windowed mode, you can chose between 4:3, 16:9 or a dynamic aspect ratio. Though unfortunately everything wider than 4:3 cuts off the top and bottom of the image.
I never understood why Tomb Raider 2 had native 16:9 support in windowed mode, but not in full screen mode… and why this wasn’t supported in Tomb Raider 4 and why Tomb Raider 3 had no windowed mode at all.

Although like in Chronicles (I think), it just cuts off the top and bottom so 4:3 is better anyway.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 10:50   #73
Arsunt

Quote:
Stretching and cutting are most easy ways to maintain different aspect ratios. But the most right way is extending left and right. Also PSX FOV provides the similar look as 16:9 cutted such way.
Quote:
AFAIK a lot of console games also haver a lower FOV so that the console has to draw less of the scene to get a better performance.
This is not main reason. It won't give you a noticeable performance improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
I never understood why Tomb Raider 2 had native 16:9 support in windowed mode, but not in full screen mode… and why this wasn’t supported in Tomb Raider 4 and why Tomb Raider 3 had no windowed mode at all.
They just had no time to make it right. Also since almost every monitor was 4:3 this was not a priority task.

Last edited by Arsunt; 12-04-21 at 12:59.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 22:14   #74
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
If you happen to notice that FMV playback does not work, or you would like an upgrade, try the following, as you can use custom FMV's with Arsunt's patch.
I know this may be slightly off topic, but I just followed this links advice and downloaded LeonDeka's remastered fmvs to my TR2 fmv folder. However, when I launch the game the fmvs seem to play somewhat faster than normal. They play fine and at the normal pace when I simply click on the files from the folder, it is only when I launch the game and watch them in-game that they play too fast. How can I fix this?

(Btw I am using TR2Main and loving these new features like the waving inventory background! Thank you for all your hard work Arsunt and making something so beautiful for us all!)
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 02:49   #75
SOLA

I just finished TR2 using TR2Main and it was a fantastic experience. It felt like exactly what I'd want if the PlayStation Store would let me buy TR2.

About to play Golden Mask using TR2Main. If I try to run t2gold.exe it asks for a nonexistent CD, so I looked at Arsunt's instructions again:

Quote:
To launch setup dialog run tomb2.exe with -setup option. You may want to create a shortcut for that.
To launch The Golden Mask run tomb2.exe with -gold option. You may want to create a shortcut for that.
Can anyone help me here? How do I "run" an .exe with "-gold" enabled? I know how to open the PC terminal if that's what it's asking for. Am I supposed to write a command line to access this game or am I missing something obvious? (Which is very likely.)

Last edited by SOLA; 15-04-21 at 05:02. Reason: Clarity about platform
SOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 03:54   #76
Kirishima

Easiest way would be to create a shortcut for tomb2 and attach -gold to the end of the "target" section in the shortcut's properties which would be the same as running "Tomb2.exe -gold" in commandline... at least that's what I would do in windows. I'm not sure how that would work in Mac, though...
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 05:01   #77
SOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
I'm not sure how that would work in Mac, though...
I am playing on a PC, but it's new and I don't know how to use it! I'm normally a Mac user.

Your advice worked! I added -gold to the target section in the shortcut properties. That's all it took! Thanks!

Last edited by SOLA; 15-04-21 at 05:11.
SOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 14:25   #78
Sweet

Hello Everyone,

after 15 Years of doing nothing with TRLE, i have the Idea to Create a TR2 Level...i use TR2 Main and all works fine,,,but now i have problems
Everytime when i try to save my own level the Game freezes.
I get no Error Messages in TE.
When i try another level it works, what can i do?
Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 15:49   #79
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
Hello Everyone,

after 15 Years of doing nothing with TRLE, i have the Idea to Create a TR2 Level...i use TR2 Main and all works fine,,,but now i have problems
Everytime when i try to save my own level the Game freezes.
I get no Error Messages in TE.
When i try another level it works, what can i do?
What freezes? The game when you try to save the progress? Or Tomb Editor when you try to save the level?
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 16:21   #80
Sweet

Hello Arsunt,

the Game freeze when i try to save...in Tomb Editor is all fine.
i can choose the saveslot in Game but hit enter an when the game try to get back from menu...it freeze.
I have reducet the limits of textinfos... maybe im to stupid
Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote