Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 27-02-19, 05:56   #341
CoTeCiO

That's really cool to see implemented on the PC! I really want to see reflective surfaces implemented on the PC, they also exist in TR2, in Great Wall, Bartoli's Hideout and Barkhang Monastery, if I remember correctly. Some spinning wheels and swords from statues has them. I suspect it's exactly the same implementation than in TR1 and I don't know why they weren't implemented on the PC, the more advanced video cards that were around at the time TR2 came out, like the Voodoo2, were capable of applying an environmental map to surfaces. They might had to change the way it worked to using a general environment texture instead of the frame buffer (or whatever they used on the PS for the effect), but it would have still been better than nothing. The same with the colored gun flashes. I don't know how they're implemented in the PS, but they look like alpha mapped textures, which again, were perfectly possible to do with the hardware at the time. I feel Core just ported the game to the PC to work in software mode, added texture filtering and the menu background to the hardware accelerated version and called it a day when they could have done a lot more accurate representation of how the game played on the PS.

Another thing that caught my attention is the weird aspect ratio from the PS version of every TR game, which I believe happens because the games run at a weird resolution internally (368x240 if I'm not wrong) and then gets squashed to 4:3 aspect ratio, I just find it weird, I don't know if they actually intended the games to look squashed or it was an oversight from the developers.
CoTeCiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 14:50   #342
Dustie

^ I always thought that was a way to adjust to TVs at that time, didn't they produce images which were stretched to the sides a bit?

I agree that the PC versions seem like a bit of hand-me-down compared to PS1, my bet is on that they were rushing it.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 15:02   #343
Woops

My bet is Sony paid them to make the console version better.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 16:18   #344
Dustie

Maybe I have asked this before, but would it be possible to reproduce the "halo" around a flare like it is in the PS1 version?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 20:59   #345
NoahCrofRaider

Aw, this is all so exciting!
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 03:00   #346
CoTeCiO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I always thought that was a way to adjust to TVs at that time, didn't they produce images which were stretched to the sides a bit?
I thought of that, but even comparing both versions running on a CRT TV and monitor, Lara looks noticeably thinner in the PS version and I think it was done on purpose because the controller button graphics for the menu in the PS version are elliptical, not circular, but they look circular with the weird aspect ratio. If it was done on purpose, then why not do the same on the PC version? Pretty strange.

I still prefer how the game looks in real 4:3 instead of the PS aspect ratio, though.
CoTeCiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 10:24   #347
Kirishima

The aspect ratio issue was probably just laziness. Play the dos version of Tomb Raider at 320x200 in 4x3 and you get the same look as the ps1 version, where as playing it in its pixel aspect makes the image look more correct.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 02:44   #348
tomblover

Any update on this? Still perched for GM support.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 16:31   #349
Tremolo

Arsunt, could you share a patch to fix the delay issue when entering at the inventory menu? It's a bit annoying to play with that delay. Thank you.
Tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-19, 19:21   #350
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Any update on this? Still perched for GM support.
Yeah. On my way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Arsunt, could you share a patch to fix the delay issue when entering at the inventory menu? It's a bit annoying to play with that delay. Thank you.
Fixed. I'm sorry it took so long. I hope now I can release new versions a bit more often.

By the way, I've added changelog.

Last edited by Arsunt; 26-05-19 at 20:03.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote