www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 01-11-21, 19:29   #1
Kurtis6
Historian

Cool Tomb Raider Chronicles HD Remaster

Hello Everyone!

This week I've started replaying Resident Evil Code Veronica, a well-received title that was developed exclusively for the SEGA Dreamcast by Capcom. They had a great relationship with SEGA and really exploited the hardware and showed to the public was a next-gen Resi Evil could be: A full 3D Survival horror instead of a fixed camera with 2D background.

So it got me thinking...

Core Design had also a great relationship with SEGA (the 1st TR was exclusive on the Saturn for a few weeks) and when the exclusivity clause ended with Sony, they ported TR IV and Chronicles for the SEGA DREAMCAST. Unfortunately, both titles didn't use the hardware full potential, it had only PC texture quality and lighting.

WHAT IF... moment!

What if... Tomb Raider Chronicles was exclusive for the SEGA Dreamcast and used it's full potential?

TRC with Shenmue like graphics... that would be cool! So I decided to materialize my vision.

This is a 1:1 remake for the 1st level of Tomb Raider Chronicles. The level design will be the same, but with 10x more detail, more geometry and textures. I got it playable (thanks URaider), and very soon you will be able to play it.
(I will remake the first level only)

A few WIP images.

Last edited by Kurtis6; 05-11-21 at 21:16.
Kurtis6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 22:10   #2
UroshUchiha
Explorer

Gonna keep an eye out for this. TRV needs more love imo.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 22:39   #3
reborninshadow
Historian

Looks pretty cool! Nice to see people using URaider for projects already
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 11:24   #4
Kurtis6
Historian

I was thinking adding some details like tables in the square (very typical in Rome) and other details like plants. Just to add a little more life to the level. What do you think?
Old 02-11-21, 16:50   #5
reborninshadow
Historian

Sure, that would be cool!
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 08:10   #6
CircusBabysGal
Historian

Hope this actually gets to be finished, looks so cool! <3
Old 03-11-21, 20:15   #7
Kurtis6
Historian

Small update: Texturing the main plaza. Texturing is not my strongest skill, trying to maintain the same color patterns as the original.

Here's a preview:
(BTW don't expect top notch graphics, the intention here is a showcase a reinterpretation if Tomb Raider Chronicles used the full power of the Dreamcast)

Last edited by Kurtis6; 03-11-21 at 20:16.
Old 03-11-21, 21:55   #8
TRJTA
Professor

To give you a tip, i would make sure that you maintain the scale of the original textures. For example the brown bricks in your version are very small while they are a lot bigger in the original level. Having larger scale high res textures will look better and also eliminate obvious tiling.

Another thing is that most of the time when people work with textures they tend to make the textures look to sterile and clean. Having the proper amount of weathering applied to textures will really go a long way to be the cherry on the cake for the overall look.

Good luck with the project! Very curious to see what it will end up looking like!
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 07:11   #9
Kurtis6
Historian

Thank you for advice! I love your work on AOD! ❤️

Doing some research about the processing power of the dreamcast because of the level of detail I should apply on my Tomb Raider Chronicles Remaster.
Claire Redfield model from Code Veronica has 3700 polys. AOD Lara Croft has 4400, but found out various characters from DC titles with +9000 polys!

Discovered that Shenmue II warehouse section had 64 000 polygons! To a point of reference, a PS1 Tomb Raider Level has only 2000 polygons!

Also found out that PSP titles use, on average, the same amount of Polys or even less than Dreamcast titles!

Even Aya Brea from The 3rd Birthday - a AAA PSP Title - has 1582 polys. But PSP titles have the benefit of better textures.

Last edited by Kurtis6; 04-11-21 at 19:58.
Old 05-11-21, 08:23   #10
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Wow ! Sounds incredible ! The first screenshots look nice ! Can't wait to see more of this !!!
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote