www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 03-12-20, 13:35   #61
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

Got some (not so great) news. I've built a new pc and decided to bite the bullet by getting a ryzen cpu. The first thing I did was test Lost Artifact and it does load the menu background image but crashes before the ring menu pops up. My ryzen model is 2700x and has no integrated graphics - which may be the cause of the issue affecting others on this thread.

It looks like Sardoc and Nickelony's Ryzens also has no integrated graphics whereas Defrago does have integrated graphics and reports their game works.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 14:34   #62
Yuki Senoue
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
Got some (not so great) news. I've built a new pc and decided to bite the bullet by getting a ryzen cpu. The first thing I did was test Lost Artifact and it does load the menu background image but crashes before the ring menu pops up. My ryzen model is 2700x and has no integrated graphics - which may be the cause of the issue affecting others on this thread.

It looks like Sardoc and Nickelony's Ryzens also has no integrated graphics whereas Defrago does have integrated graphics and reports their game works.
I can test too when I arrive home. I got a Ryzen 5 3400g with Vega 11 (iGPU).
I'll report back during the night.
Old 10-12-20, 23:30   #63
Defrago
Hobbyist

Quote:
Defrago does have integrated graphics and reports their game works
Make sure you have config.txt file in the game folder. Also make sure your game folder is located not at default restricted Program Files (or similar) folder. I placed game folder into separate Games folder at the root of my drive. If you have launched game before in restricted folder, your config.txt might be located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore.

Then, if it still crashes, try to use VM value (5th line) from your Tomb Raider III game.

And also I suggest to rename game executable (tr3gold.exe) to some random uncommon name since Windows forcing some unwanted compatibility settings, I guess by exe name (and also checksums, probably), making you unable to set some screen resolutions. I noticed no problems playing with renamed exe.
Defrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-20, 10:36   #64
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

Exclamation

^Thanks for the suggestions but none of these worked individually or combined. (I already had TLA folder stored in Libraries, away from restricted Programme Files)

But good news everyone! I managed to get TLA to work thanks to people on discord. This is how I got it working. Open config file. Set MMX to 0.

Quote:
DD 0
D3D 1
D3DTF 1
DS 0
VM 16
ZBUFFER 1
DITHER 1
FILTER 1
AGP 1
SOUND 1
JOYSTICK 0
MMX 0
SFX 8
MUSIC 10
GAMMA 6.000000
DEFKEY 200 208 203 205 52 53 54 184 157 57 51 82 207 1
USERKEY 72 80 75 77 83 79 54 184 157 57 76 82 207 1
Remember when you're ingame, you will have to change resolution to the correct one

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 11-12-20 at 11:45.
Old 11-12-20, 12:26   #65
Sardoc
Archaeologist

Quote:
^Thanks for the suggestions but none of these worked individually or combined. (I already had TLA folder stored in Libraries, away from restricted Programme Files)

But good news everyone! I managed to get TLA to work thanks to people on discord. This is how I got it working. Open config file. Set MMX to 0.

Remember when you're ingame, you will have to change resolution to the correct one
Ah! Now THAT did the trick, it's working now!
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 09:55   #66
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

Just to summarize some other things as well: TLA doesn't seem to generate it own config file so I copied the config file from TR3 directory.

If I use a setup shortcut for tr3gold it will will cause the game to crash. So changing graphic settings will probably have to be done in-game or by editing the config file.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 12-12-20 at 10:10.
Old 12-12-20, 13:12   #67
Sardoc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Just to summarize some other things as well: TLA doesn't seem to generate it own config file so I copied the config file from TR3 directory.

If I use a setup shortcut for tr3gold it will will cause the game to crash. So changing graphic settings will probably have to be done in-game or by editing the config file.
Well, it did create the config file alright for me, but that was on the old PC with no crashes. My guess is it crashes for you before it even has a chance to save the settings to the file.

As I already had the config file, having moved the data from the old PC to the new one, I could easily change MMX to 0. But yes, it makes sense to copy TR3's one and use it in TLA.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 20:20   #68
mista_przemit
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelony View Post
I just want to point out that the TR3GOLD build I have is from 2011 and it's from the polish publisher Cenega. Yes, you heard it right, it's a BUILD from 2011. It's a bit different from the original because it doesn't have the usual game folder structure. Instead of all the folders being in the main directory, there's a cd folder, which contains all the game files.

Going a bit off-topic, that disc also has a very interesting TR2+Gold build, where you choose which game (TR2 or TR2GOLD) you want to play at the start... but it's not like an additional window, it's an in-game choice. This basically makes it impossible for me to apply any external patches to that .exe file, because it's not the original build. It's from 2011 as well and even the .exe file name is different this time.

But going back to TR3GOLD, I tried everything at this point. Moving folders and even getting a different build to see if it runs. Sadly, the same issue happens to that other build too.

Creating the config file manually doesn't help, but at the same time, as I already said, the TR3 build from that disc works perfectly fine. All the settings in that game are getting saved, but... the config.txt file is nowhere to be found. Neither in the game folder nor in the VirtualStore folder. (keep in mind that this is also a build from 2011)

Also neither Arsunt's patch nor the No-CD patch helped. (On both my version and my friend's more "authentic" version, which doesn't even support 1080p screens)

RIP I guess.

EDIT: I think I have a theory... can it be a sound driver / sound device related issue? The game crashes when the main menu song starts playing. I tried disabling the sound entirely, but that didn't fix it, although I remember having a similar issue once and doing something with my sound devices helped. I will try to investigate.
Hey, I just installed TRLA yesterday from the same bundle (Tomb Raider Ultimate Edition published by Cenega) and also struggled to get it working.
I used Arsunt's patched .exe file but it gave me an error saying "script file could not be accessed", or something like that, so I moved all the folders from the cd folder to the main TRLA installation folder and that did the trick.
Since you have the same version of the game maybe that will help.
mista_przemit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 18:37   #69
Wandering_Hall
Hobbyist

Just wanted to chime in that I recently got TLA working finally after having the same menu crash issue. I used the config fix in this thread, along with no cd crack/moving select folders. I have the physical disc. One weird thing I had to do was disable my RGB fusion app to get the install to work. For some reason the setup was waiting on RGB. Weird. But it worked.
Wandering_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 08:51   #70
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrago View Post
I can confirm that on Windows 10 2004/19041 game works, if you put right config.txt values (or put the file if it does not exist). Key value seems to be "VM XX" and it is unique for some PC builds as my old TLA config.txt which been created several years before on another PC didn't work. Right value should be in TR3 config.txt file.

I also suggest to rename tr3gold.exe file to tr3goldnew for example, it'll unlock 16:9 resolutions into list in setup menu, it seems like Windows automatically and silently applies compatibility settings by that exe name.

And consider using this version of exe, it has Sprint patched to act like in TR4-5 and have some flaws fixed by Arsunt.
VM 8 worked for me (From my TR3config). The default on the forum post is 16. I tried every other solution and exe on here and that was the only one that got the game running on Windows 10.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote