Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 11-09-16, 14:00   #11
TombRaiderTim

Kinda odd I only mentioned your original early with my Dragon Secrets, I really enjoyed playing it so this will be interesting.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 21:43   #12
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb2player View Post
Thanks guys! , Caesum, as far as I remember you were one of beta testers of first level, and I had to tell you what to do every 15 minutes. .
My God really?? I can't remember now but I guess this is quite possible. Anyway, good luck with your work, I remember you've been working on it for some years now?

About the way of building. This way I built the monastery level in the Forgotten Remnants project. I built the visuals first but then realised I don't have much room for gameplay, which resulted in rather boring push&pull kind of gameplay like in TR1-3. If you want to go for a more logical and measured level you could try designing key locations first with the puzzles and platforming sections. It helps creating interesting gameplay a lot!
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 15:07   #13
tomb2player

TombRaiderTim, your secrets were amazing, but were a bit flat. Now I would like to use more 3D.

Caesum, I wrote in first post how long I have been working on it, glad you read it ( 11 January 2015 ). Thanks for advices, to be honest I agree with what you have written - designing locations due to most important key points of gameplay, and later after that move to details. This is the way I am doing this.
tomb2player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 21:00   #14
tomb2player

I know it's second post in a row, but contain new update/information about level, so I hope it's allowed?

I would like to say more about building process or technology. Screenshot shows "properties" of static object, which will be added through Meta2TR to the level. 116 polys, 101 unique textures. I had to split one big texture to those 101 parts, fix borders in each of them so there are no lines where textures connect to each other. And place all textures one by one on faces. Everything hand-made, one piece after another, like stacking puzzle.

It's time consuming and a lot of work, but I really enjoy it.

Enough of updates right now, I hope next ones will contain finished locations, I know that I said this before, but its just so much work.

When there will be new screenshot, I will post one in new post, like this one, and second in first, where there will be all screenshots stored together.

Oh and I forgot to ask, are you still working on your new custom Caesum? I remember that you posted something long time ago, just curious.
And thanks to everyone for nice comments, and to those, who want to play it, I hope that this game won't disappoint you when it will be released.
Old 21-09-16, 15:52   #15
tomb2player

I know that I posted update recently, but now to keep this thread a bit longer on the first page of forum, so more people will notice it

I would like to show one more enemy that I made very long time ago, still in 2015, do you recognize him from somewhere?

There will be some really serious battles.

And I forgot to mention when I created this thread, that Lara will have helpers, who will assist her in some places. Those helpers are what can be guessed from the story, special armed forces like SAS for example. It will work similar way as it was in the Crash Site from TR3, or Barkhang Monastery from TR2.

Also, there will be some new "fighting mechanics", which weren't present in any of classic TR's. Most of them are already implemented and finished. I don't want to reveal anything about this topic until level release.

There will be also explanation in one of cutscenes, why and how wreck found itself in huge cave underneath sea bottom, what is the light and air source inside. Some cutscene will feature also submarines, to explain a bit how this whole bunch of people are capable of reaching wreck. It's still unrealistic and so, but I try to keep things as much believable as it's possible.

Small word about story: It won't affect/alter in any way story from TR2. I did my best to connect everything in such way that it merges well with TR2 story without any major interfere. I did not changed anything in TR2 story, just added my own before it. On the other hand, it gives and clarify also some things that were not obvious in TR2, for example how Lara knew about whole Xian sword thing, this door in China Wall, etc. But of course it's only my personal explanation. And I can say, that this time that "special artifact" that Lara and Bartoli are after, is not Heart of the Ocean.

Last edited by tomb2player; 21-09-16 at 16:07.
Old 04-10-16, 12:33   #16
tomb2player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
Kinda odd I only mentioned your original early with my Dragon Secrets, I really enjoyed playing it so this will be interesting.
I remember that you posted some time ago on the forums information that you will make new version of dragon secrets.. If you will succeed with this, I would like to see them, maybe I will use them in my level. But I don't promise anything of course. It's not easy task at all to make them look as much 3D as possible, and as much similar to those from TR2 as possible.

Last edited by tomb2player; 04-10-16 at 12:34.
Old 18-11-16, 14:35   #17
tomb2player

Forget about upper request, I will make secrets myself.

Long time no update. But it does not mean that I abandoned this or so.. Still nothing to show when it comes to finished locations, but I can post reliable current project status.

--> There are already 231 128x128 textures ( some of them are cut only to use as 128x32 or other smaller sizes )

--> 177 static objects - some of them are repeated, but in other configuration ( x,y,z position for example ) - most of them, if not all, will be added with Meta2TR to geometry. Anyway I cannot fit all those as statics to one level without Meta2TR, and I plan to do only one level. Two or more is the last resort. But this will be very big level, as it was with my previous release.

--> about 50 moveable objects are done. 90% of the enemies are fully done and operational. There is still a lot of moveables to do.

--> It's difficult to say how much complete is whole script, but let's say 85% , most is done. ( I need to give here big credit to Krystian, because he helped me a lot with more complicated stuff, some of those things wouldn't be possible without him. )

--> Audio tracks - 98% , practically done.

--> Sound samples - 85% , some moveable objects are still not done, including sounds.

--> Lara object setup - her animations, sounds, etc. - 95% .

I don't remember if there is something else worth to mention. I am on good way with this game. It takes huge amount of time, but creating assets ( objects or textures ) - practically from scratch ( textures obviously based on others, from CG textures.com for example ), takes a lot of work and time, as I mentioned above.

Old level, Tomb Raider and RMS Titanic, I did as far as I remember only in about 7 months. But I had all assets done, came from original TR2 game mostly. So I trully hope, that once I will really start with NGLE/Meta2TR building, it will be quicker..

Last edited by tomb2player; 18-11-16 at 14:40.
Old 16-12-16, 20:18   #18
tomb2player

One more screenshot! More of rusty rivets and girders!

I try as much as I can replicate hull structure elements. Reference compare pictures come from real titanic (One is replica). No shadows, only room ambient light, so it may look a bit plain. Of course this is test level.
Old 07-03-17, 04:41   #19
tomb2player

I decided to post small update, to tell that it's still going somewhere. Still don't have finished locations, I am focusing on assets. I am rather going for quality over quantity and taking my time. Also I recently learned how to texture under Metasequia, this is not that hard as I expected. Now I can hopefully fit all textures to single level, as I plan only one level right now.

Last edited by tomb2player; 07-03-17 at 18:48.
Old 07-06-17, 18:59   #20
tomb2player

Hi all. I am still doing this, there is progress. Still making assets.

Long time no update, so decided to post screenshot from test area.

There won't be cutscenes. For some reasons, most because I decided to keep this as much classic as possible. And in classic TR's there were not so many cutscenes, particularly in the middle of level. Second, because it will be only one level, and it would require big amount of cutscenes to tell whole story in good way. So gameplay would be every few steps disturbed by cutscene, as it was in new reboot TR's. And on the other side, a few cutscenes wouldn't be sufficient to tell properly story in my opinion, so after all I decided to remove them completely. There will be however prologue and epilogue writings ( as slide show ), to give basic information about story. And for sure now level will be released much earlier, as cutscenes are very time consuming and difficult to make.

Any criticism or suggestions are welcome of course.