Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 03-04-20, 18:17   #1
Avalon SARL

Exclamation I am Stuck in Egypt

I can't progress from here because Lara keeps hitting the column I marked and never grabs the ledge next to it.

I have been trying fr many hours with no luck.
Has anyone ever encountered this?

I am playing on PC, and I could notice this version has got many glitches compared to the PS2.

I hope someone knows a trick.

EDIT: Okay, this is crazy but I just found it. There is a grapple hook in the ceiling you are supposed to grapple up instead

Took me seconds between posting here and finding the solution myself

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 03-04-20 at 18:20.
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 19:16   #2
Deathly Karma

That ledge is way too far to even reach anyway lmao. If she doesn't automatically grab it, then you can't go there.
Deathly Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 19:59   #3
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathly Karma View Post
That ledge is way too far to even reach anyway lmao. If she doesn't automatically grab it, then you can't go there.
It is my bad that I didn't look around; this place with its timed jumps was already frustrating I should have been more cautious.
Problem is that with CD games you never really had to look around that much to search for your way out; they should have made things more obscure like this one (not that it was that hard to spot anyway )

But I still love this game, specifically for Egypt; I think Egypt was very well done with lots of stuff to do. The background music is so spooky and eerie it still gives me the freaks. The jumps are frustrating, need perfect timing which added challenge; the puzzles were great to do also.

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 03-04-20 at 20:00.
Old 03-04-20, 21:54   #4
Matie

Oh I remember this bit, I even made a video of it out of pure frustration. The annoying thing is, she starts grabbing in the air and it looks like she was meant to grab the ledge and could easily do so, but bumps into the frame that sticks out of the wall and falls.

I don't remember realising there was a grappling hook, I remember downgrading graphics to get a better FPS (I was playing at a terrible framerate) and then I could make the jump somehow? Maybe I remember wrong... I'll have to try again whenever I get to replay TRA sometime in the future.
Matie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 07:16   #5
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
Oh I remember this bit, I even made a video of it out of pure frustration. The annoying thing is, she starts grabbing in the air and it looks like she was meant to grab the ledge and could easily do so, but bumps into the frame that sticks out of the wall and falls.

I don't remember realising there was a grappling hook, I remember downgrading graphics to get a better FPS (I was playing at a terrible framerate) and then I could make the jump somehow? Maybe I remember wrong... I'll have to try again whenever I get to replay TRA sometime in the future.
I tried using manual grab thinking if I press manual grab after I am past that column she will be able to grab the it properly, but it didn't work either.

The smart thing (or maybe it was forgotten to be programmed), is that the grapple ring in the ceiling (protruding from a wood beam) does not show any grapple icon so you never know.

That was (and still for today) what CD/SE ruin about their games. They have icons everywhere to press the required button, or it is so shiny and has a completely different color which screams from a faraway distance that you should come over here. That is why this place here, as much as simple it was, felt more challenging for me.

What is weird also is that there are a couple of edges to walls and cliffs/ pillars that are blended in, not white or protruding, or they are the edge of the stone itself and you can grab them.

I bet the whole experience of this game could have been different if icons did not show at all and if ledges where just normal edges of walls, cracks etc...

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 04-04-20 at 07:18.
Old 04-04-20, 08:46   #6
TR1249

Try activating VSync
TR1249 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 16:28   #7
xFSTR
Inactive

Well done for finding the fix. :P
xFSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 09:34   #8
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
The smart thing (or maybe it was forgotten to be programmed), is that the grapple ring in the ceiling (protruding from a wood beam) does not show any grapple icon so you never know.
This seems to be an issue in the PC version. Aside from this one, I also played the Xbox 360 and Wii versions with the button prompts turned off and in those versions also the grapple prompt is turned off.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 10:20   #9
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
This seems to be an issue in the PC version. Aside from this one, I also played the Xbox 360 and Wii versions with the button prompts turned off and in those versions also the grapple prompt is turned off.

You mean to tell me that I could have turned off all those stupid icons?

Why didn't I notice that.

Still, things to press or move are so obvious to find, but yes for the grapple rings I thing it will be interesting to look for them.

I will replay it on this setting next time, in 2 months perhaps, to find all relics and secrets.
Old 08-04-20, 14:10   #10
Wooxman

Oh, you didn't know that? It's in the graphics settings. But the grapple symbol stays activated in the PC version, though of course you can remove it with Texmod.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote