Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 03-10-17, 09:20   #1
DRLC

Default PC, Xbox 360 or PS3?

First of all, i didn't know in which section of the forum i should post this. I hope it's ok to post it here.

Well, the last time i played TR 1-5, AOD, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld was when they got released many years ago. I played TR 1-5 on the PlayStation 1, AOD, Legend and Anniversary on the PS2 and Underworld on the PC (graphics maxed out).
So after all those years i would like to play all of them again, but this time with the best graphics possible.

I have a powerful PC (most new released games run on max settings in 1080p with 60 fps), Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2.

After browsing this forum a lot, i came to the conclusion, that those versions are the best in terms of graphics:

TR 1-5: PC
AOD: PS2 (i'll play them upscaled on the PS3)
Legend: Xbox 360
Anniversary: Xbox 360 (i'm not sure if the PS3 version is any better?)
Underworld: Xbox 360

Is this correct?

I know, that the resolution on the PC is much better than on the consoles, but i've read, that the graphics are still better on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

So please, can you give me some hints?

Last edited by DRLC; 03-10-17 at 11:21.
DRLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 11:33   #2
Kivlov

I think it's better to run AoD on a PC - there're many very useful mods which improve graphics & controls, which you could use.

Regarding the Underworld - I think it's better to play it on Xbox 360 because of two reasons:

1. Camera behavior better adapted for console playing with a gamepad.

2. It has 2 DLCs which are Xbox 360 exclusives:

- Beneath the Ashes
- Lara’s Shadow

Last edited by Kivlov; 03-10-17 at 18:37.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 12:22   #3
Alex Fly
Inactive

I would also say that AOD is better on PC, for the same reasons stated by Kivlov.

Regarding Anniversary I'd say it looks the best on PS3 (at least to me visually it's really the superior version of all) so I'd suggest getting it on PS3 instead of Xbox 360.

Regarding the classics I don't know (I played them all on PC and I thought they looked great there, and also there are some mods to improve them now like better looking FMVs), Legend looks superior on Xbox 360 (be sure to not get it on PS3 as it's really the worst looking version), Underworld looks maybe a bit better on Xbox 360 even if it's not that different from the other versions but at least you'll get the exclusive to this platform levels.
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 13:14   #4
DRLC

First of all thanks for the replys.

Well, regarding TR 1-5: I've watched some gameplay videos of the PC versions and in my opinion, they look a lot better than the PS1 counterparts! So i'll play them on the PC.

If you say AoD is better on the PC, then i believe you. So, this one i'll also play on the PC then.

Regarding Legend, Anniversary and Underworld:

Well, like you suggested, i'll play Legend and Underworld on the Xbox 360 and Anniversary on the PS3, then.
I think that's ok for best graphics (and gameplay)?

Last edited by DRLC; 03-10-17 at 13:16.
Old 03-10-17, 15:02   #5
Alex Fly
Inactive

Yeah you should be fine.

Have fun playing the games!
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 15:25   #6
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLC View Post
I think that's ok for best graphics (and gameplay)?
I think that's the best combination for graphics Since you brought gameplay into it as well, there are a few other notable differences.

For TR1-2, there are free add-on packs with extra levels that are not available on the PS1 version, and there's a standalone TR3 expansion called The Lost Artifact (although you don't need TR3 to play it).

TR1-5 have true save-anywhere on PC, but the PS1 versions have different saving systems (TR1 has single-use save crystals that save your spot where you find them, TR2 has save-anywhere but only one save slot, and TR3 has collectible save crystals and you use one up every time you save).

For AOD, the PC controls are more like TR1-5, whereas the PS2 version tries to do the independently rotating camera like the later games.

And if you have access to a Wii, it's worth checking out the Wii versions of Anniversary and Underworld in addition to the main versions. Anniversary is basically the same game but they added in a few extra small puzzles that take advantage of the Wii controls. Underworld is a completely different game though (the story and locations are the same, but the level design has very little in common and feels more like a custom level). If I had to pick I'd definitely say that the 360 version of Underworld is the best (especially with the exclusive DLC levels) but I did really enjoy the Wii version too.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 18:54   #7
SrDanielPonces

I think AOD for PS2 is a LOT better.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 20:04   #8
DRLC

@Ward Dragon:
Yeah, i know about those extra levels for TR 1,2,3 and that TR4 Times exclusive level.

I also know, that Underworld for the Wii and PS2 is completely different than the NextGen versions.

Well, regarding AoD, i'm not so sure anymore if the PC version really is superior than the PS2 version... In comparison the PS2 version seems more polished to me. Btw., I prefer the rotating camera, like in the newer games, so i think the PS2 version is the version i'll get.

Last edited by DRLC; 03-10-17 at 20:08.
Old 05-10-17, 18:42   #9
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
1. Camera behavior better adapted for console playing with a gamepad.
You can use a controller on PC and then it plays exactly the same.

The classics have additional graphical and audio effects on consoles, but the PC versions play better due to having a stable frame rate, shortcuts for the weapons and the ability to save everywhere.

AoD is better on PS2 due to the controls.

Legend and Anniversary are best on Xbox 360 (I haven't played the PS3 versions, but heard that they have annoying bugs).

Underworld looks best on PC, but you can only get the exclusive DLCs on Xbox 360.

GoL and ToO are best on PC.

TR2013 is a mixed bag: If you want a high framerate and resolution, get the PC version, otherwise the PS4 version, preferably on the PS4 Pro.

RotTR is best on PC.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 22:23   #10
charmedangelin

I have all of the Tomb Raider games on PC and would say if your interested then go for it. They look great and play smoothly. You may have to download a patch here or there, but it's nothing to really sweat about.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote