Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 18-03-17, 15:42   #25741
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post

The results:

1) I have way too much time on my hands.
2) They do not look much alike.

It's not just that he looks beefier, but details of his face and head change pretty much 100%. They completely remodelled his face.

Someone should do this for the RE7 face. I had too much fun.
I disagree. A lot of the differences that you've noted come down to 1 of 3 things:

1. The difference in ages of both models: 35 vs. 25

This doesn't take into account Chris' 2 year bulk up in-between Umbrella's End and Revelations 1. The body will change a bit. Plus they have different resting facial expressions.

2. The differences in available technology at each creation. Chris in 5 has a way higher texture size than poor Remake Chris. They also have a large difference in polygon sizes.

3. The third is artistic license. They both, more than likely, had different modelers. RE5 Chris is an artist's close interpretation of RE1 Chris, who has hit the gym hard. Yeah they make stupid changes like his eye color, but Capcom always makes stupid little changes with every model in every new game.

I still think Georgie Dandy looks a far cry from Remake Chris. Far too many people were confused by his look and voice for it to have a real effect upon his reveal. They go on about why they needed to change Chris for 7 and they still uses a stylized version of his RE6 look and got a voice actor who sounds relatively close to Roger Craig Smith in Vendetta.

Chris' use in RE7 seems like a rush job. Someone at Capcom probably realized there were far too little references to the rest of the Resident Evil series in 7 and figured his cameo would fix that. So they used a model that is a "close enough" match for said purposes.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 18:03   #25742
FearEffect

Everytime I make a fan art, one of the most important things to me, is to make the character recognizable. I always cared a lot about faces. I always cared a lot about Lara Croft's face. And I started working on Fear Effect Sedna because of that reason too. Characters.

I grew up with RE5-6 Chris.
Fictional characters may sometime have more power than real persons on its fans. Being a fan of Chris actually helpt me deal with a few problems I had in my life. I've made my coming out because of Chris. My entire familiy thought I was interested on "big boobs" because of Lara Croft and Fear Effect and my way of drawing womens. I told them I was not. I found the courage to lose weight too, last year too, and believe me, that's not easy. Now, everyone knows how much I love Chris Redfield. That's why I'm so concerned about his RE7 look.

When someone leaked that Chris would be part of RE7, I didn't really care about the face because, because I trusted Capcom. I thought all the characters looked gorgeous RE6, specially during cutscenes. I was expecting a very close and realistic version to RE6 Chris with the dark hair, the muscled body and new BSAA outfit.

I like to get excited when I see for the first time a character that I love with a new look. I want to feel excited when Eidos will show for the first time Lara's new look. I wanted Fear Effect fans to get excited seeing Hana Tsu-Vachel's new look. But the first I saw RE7 Chris, I didn't even recognize him. I had to read the subtitle to realize it, and that's the reason why I'm dissapointed. I admit Vendetta Chris isn't perfect, but he's very close to the Chris Redfield I know and love. I just don't want to watch the movie and realize at the end this is the last time I see him because Capcom decide to make him look different. I don't want fans to get attached to a version of a character. I want all the versions of that character to be close enough so fans wouldn't' have reasons to complaint.
FearEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 19:22   #25743
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
I disagree. A lot of the differences that you've noted come down to 1 of 3 things:

1. The difference in ages of both models: 35 vs. 25

This doesn't take into account Chris' 2 year bulk up in-between Umbrella's End and Revelations 1. The body will change a bit. Plus they have different resting facial expressions.

2. The differences in available technology at each creation. Chris in 5 has a way higher texture size than poor Remake Chris. They also have a large difference in polygon sizes.

3. The third is artistic license. They both, more than likely, had different modelers. RE5 Chris is an artist's close interpretation of RE1 Chris, who has hit the gym hard. Yeah they make stupid changes like his eye color, but Capcom always makes stupid little changes with every model in every new game.

I still think Georgie Dandy looks a far cry from Remake Chris. Far too many people were confused by his look and voice for it to have a real effect upon his reveal. They go on about why they needed to change Chris for 7 and they still uses a stylized version of his RE6 look and got a voice actor who sounds relatively close to Roger Craig Smith in Vendetta.

Chris' use in RE7 seems like a rush job. Someone at Capcom probably realized there were far too little references to the rest of the Resident Evil series in 7 and figured his cameo would fix that. So they used a model that is a "close enough" match for said purposes.
It's more than just age. Age wouldn't move your cheekbones down or reshape your eyes. The facial features have some similarities, but are also two completely different faces.

And I agree, it came down to having a different team modelling the RE5 face than REmake, but they could've made it far more exact. Claire's face hadn't changed too significantly from CVX until REv2.

I'm not complaining. If they want to make changes to the face that's fine, but my quarrel comes from you saying that RE5 and onwards, Chris looks like a bulkier version of REmake Chris, and that's not true. Aging and bulking up wouldn't change the bone structure of your face like that.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 19:33   #25744
FearEffect

Claire did change. She looks totally different in Revelations 2. People uses the fact she aged as an excuse for all the changes they've made on her face. But just look at Ali Larter. She's 41 today and she still has the same face. She's still young, and very beautiful too. What they're doing today, is mixing the characters' faces with real people. And that's something I don't like.

Old 18-03-17, 19:51   #25745
Linoshi Croft

Claire looked nothing like Ali Larter in RE: Revelations 2 par one promotional image she instead looked like Tobey Maguire...
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 19:58   #25746
FearEffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
Claire looked nothing like Ali Larter in RE: Revelations 2 par one promotional image she instead looked like Tobey Maguire...
I don't think she was meant to, but I would've liked her face to be closer to Ali. I like her face a lot, she reminds me of Degeneration Claire, which is my favorite Claire so far.
Old 18-03-17, 20:01   #25747
robm_2007

Her nose is the biggest offense. And she's not wearing any makeup, whereas the model on the right is glammed up and has silvery-blue eyes, looks like they would be contacts.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 20:07   #25748
FearEffect

Actually, that's my model, I'm still working on it, it's just a reproduction of Degeneration Claire, I wasn't sure about the eyes texture. I'm using that model for my fan fic.
Old 18-03-17, 20:39   #25749
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearEffect View Post
Claire did change. She looks totally different in Revelations 2. People uses the fact she aged as an excuse for all the changes they've made on her face. But just look at Ali Larter. She's 41 today and she still has the same face. She's still young, and very beautiful too. What they're doing today, is mixing the characters' faces with real people. And that's something I don't like.

I said until REv2, meaning they made a pretty noticeable change to her face in that entry.

I think a comparison to her Darkside Chronicles model would be the best comparison, seeing as that's the highest resolution Claire we've seen before they changed her face.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 21:04   #25750
FearEffect

^
Oh right, sorry I misunderstood.

Ideally, this is what Chris should look like to me. I mixed it with my fan made model but it's still closer to RE6 and Vendetta