Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 05-12-14, 13:45   #1
teme9

Default New technique - UV mapped objects into TRLE using Blender

*drum roll*

Got something really interesting to show to you guys!

huh, just ordinary models for TRLE - right?

NOPE!

I did not spend any time at all texturing these models in STRPIX.

YES! You did read correctly! NO TIME WAS SPENT ON TEXTURING THESE! The models are straight imports from Blender to strpix with fake UV mapping and every single texture correctly placed.

How?

Sapper and I have been co-working with the technique of importing UV mapped (fake UV mapped) objects straight from Blender to strpix without needing to texture the models at all! Sapper has been working really hard to make this happen based on the UV mapping technique I presented while ago and now it is possible because of his amazing work!! Give a huge clap for him!

Amazing things coming to the TRLE community

Still being tested and developed but I would guess that the release is in near future!
(and yes, tutorials are also coming as soon as possible once I have time to write them!)

(I made a separate thread for this so it won't pollute the old Strpix thread, object thread or my thread. This might also be good place to ask specific questions about the technique)

The technique indeed uses Blender, but you can basically just import any model with UV mapping information and make texture for it using blender. You don't necessary need to learn to use Blender and all of its features, but I would recommend it highly The tutorials will feature a simple workflow in which you will be able to process the textures into correct format.

While waiting for the tutorial and the new piece of software to be available I would recommend taking a look at Blender:
Blender basics by BornCG (his tutorials might have bad sound at the first few videos, but they are probably one of the best tutorials out there!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmOF...6307E237BB7FF6

Get Blender:
http://www.blender.org/

Last edited by teme9; 05-12-14 at 14:08.
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 14:06   #2
teme9

Default Additional information FAQ - Coming soon!

DOWNLOAD
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...8&postcount=35

TUTORIALS

Converting .OBJ UV mapped into TRLE compatible format by Baratheon
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...9&postcount=66

Getting scale correct in Blender (Matching units in Blender to TRLE)
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=133

FAQ

Let's say I want to create a super detailed room - just one room. If I baked lighting into the textures directly from Blender, will it still work or no? I haven't worked with baked lighting too much.

Yes, it is possible.

In theory it is possible to have whole level to have GI, shadows and everything in the level. If you bake whole levels textures this will result in huge amounts of unique texture infos so the level will be extremely short. TRNG has scripts that can rise the limit of addiotional texinfos.

Sorry, but it's possible to use 3DS Max instead of Blender in this new technique?

Not yet possible, but the might be in the future. is still working hard on the importer for StrPix based on the assimp http://assimp.sourceforge.net/ library and reports progress for converting UV information.

Assimp can import many 3D formats including 3DS.

Last edited by teme9; 06-09-15 at 13:08.
Old 05-12-14, 14:18   #3
Caesum

I'm waiting for this impatiently. I wanted to learn meta2tr, but I think I need to learn 3ds max better first lol. Or blender. Actually I'm thinking about blender now.

Anyway this would be like a milestone in TR community. Just imagine how easy it would be to make new organic objects now, like Lara, animals. Oh my!
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 14:20   #4
-Roli-

Wooow! You're amazing, guys!
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 14:22   #5
Krystian

Am I dreaming? Seriously, somebody pinch me because I don't believe this is real!

Before I pass out with excitement, I just wanted to say how delighted I am. I've waited forever for this I think.
All those years of using Blender instead of Meta have finally paid off.

Oh, and a big congratulations and thank you to both Sapper and you, Teme.

*finally faints*
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 14:27   #6
teme9

Thanks

This is indeed big thing for the whole TRLE community!

This technique will make texturing a lot more easier but as everything this technique has its bad sides too!

Generating the textures for each polygon will cause huge amount of textures so while modelling every single polygon you create needs to be thought out - optimizing is important now more than ever! The less the better

I would also add that this is a addition to the texturing tools - it won't and it should not replace the old methods totally! Combining this method with manual texturing will ensure that the result is low in unique texture amounts and great in visual quality!
Old 05-12-14, 14:27   #7
matrix54

Stupid question:

Let's say I want to create a super detailed room - just one room. If I baked lighting into the textures directly from Blender, will it still work or no? I haven't worked with baked lighting too much.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 14:30   #8
teme9

Yes, it is possible.

In theory it is possible to have whole level to have GI, shadows and everything in the level. If you bake whole levels textures this will result in huge amounts of unique texture infos so the level will be extremely short.

Combimining wise use of vertex lighting and baked light is the best "golden way" to have good quality and not so short levels. I would still recommend not to bake every single texture with lighting information though

**edit..

I think I could actually make a small test room of it

Last edited by teme9; 05-12-14 at 14:33.
Old 05-12-14, 14:48   #9
matrix54

It'd be great for a Resident Evil Style level, no doubt. Smaller rooms with highly amplified details within a smaller area, but gameplay isn't scarified because... well... it's just build that way.

Edit:
Actually, if the object was then Meta2TR'd... think of the possibilities.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 14:55   #10
teme9

Don't go too nuts!

There is indeed a lot things that is possible with baking but I wouldn't recommend using it too much - too many textureinfos