Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 09-06-20, 09:00   #11
mizuno_suisei

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCheaterson View Post
So turns out he did take the ramp shortcut, but everything else is the same. Check the next thread for more details, and watch the video to see how close the ending is with the doors.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this - I understand your original post for sure, your dad swam VERY fast to the doors and made it.. but i'm not understanding elsewhere from others, what Mine collision boxes have to do with this as, you can bypass them rather easily with or without a boat. TR collision boxes are not connected to eachother - they SIT next to eachother. There's always a gap. I'm fairly sure the mines dont trigger a flipmap? or trigger any conditions? The main doors will always open when you pull that timed switch. You just have to swim the right way to make it through the 'cracks' - that can normally be done right against a wall or corner. Your Dad certainly isn't the only one who left the boat behind in their first go - i specifically remember doing so LOL

In my mind, your dad just swam flawlessly - and didn't manage to trigger the mines.

Tomb Raidering said - The timer doesn’t start if you exit via swimming underneath the small door, allowing you to casually swim to the big doors without any boat. < This i know is true and learnt as a kid - i did this sometimes to avoid the scary timed run lol

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 09-06-20 at 09:02.
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 09:06   #12
mizuno_suisei

I've just opened BOAT.TR2 in Fexanim.

Here is the Mine's collision box

The collision box Is it not 1024x1024 - like 1 TR square is - therefore - there will be gaps between it for the mine to be like so - the black box around it should be a more SQUARE shape. This is tall and rectangular

Now looking at the level itself in FexinspectSK

You see there is one mine per SQUARE, not multiple on one square - to fix that slightly smaller collision boxgapping. Players should be able to weave through the mines WITHOUT TOUCHING THEM - but it will not be an easy feat. You're right Larasvision, they are 1024 clicks away from eachother! Their collision boxes - however are not.

Last edited by tlr online; 09-06-20 at 12:45. Reason: Images removed. See FAQ on posting images.
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 13:26   #13
laravision

What can't you wrap your head around? It has already been established that it was a misunderstanding from McCheaterson. He originally thought, or was told by his Dad, that it was possible to do the timed run (with the timer active) while taking the longer route and not having exploded the mines beforehand. Having Lara jump out the boat to destroy the mines, then swimming the rest of the way is not possible, as the doors will close.

This longer route (as shown in post 7) with the timer active (although you can't hear the chimes with the method the speedrunnder uses) is only possible if you perform the "pixel" perfect drive over the mines.

Also, I never specifically mentioned mine collision boxes. I passed on information I learned from the TombRunner discord regarding why the "pixel" perfect boat drive can work.

So, then it turns out that McCheaterson's Dad did not take the longer route as previously stated, and that he took the dev-intended ramp jump through the windows. In this case, with the timer active, it is indeed possible to make the timed run, even if the mines are still active; there is just about enough time for the player to jump out, let the boat trigger the mines, then have Lara swim and enter the doors just before they close. McCheaterson then posed that very challenge in his subsequent thread, where myself and Woops showed how it was possible and not as hard as he described.

Last edited by laravision; 09-06-20 at 13:30.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 12:20   #14
McCheaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
What can't you wrap your head around? It has already been established that it was a misunderstanding from McCheaterson. He originally thought, or was told by his Dad, that it was possible to do the timed run (with the timer active) while taking the longer route and not having exploded the mines beforehand. Having Lara jump out the boat to destroy the mines, then swimming the rest of the way is not possible, as the doors will close.

This longer route (as shown in post 7) with the timer active (although you can't hear the chimes with the method the speedrunnder uses) is only possible if you perform the "pixel" perfect drive over the mines.

Also, I never specifically mentioned mine collision boxes. I passed on information I learned from the TombRunner discord regarding why the "pixel" perfect boat drive can work.

So, then it turns out that McCheaterson's Dad did not take the longer route as previously stated, and that he took the dev-intended ramp jump through the windows. In this case, with the timer active, it is indeed possible to make the timed run, even if the mines are still active; there is just about enough time for the player to jump out, let the boat trigger the mines, then have Lara swim and enter the doors just before they close. McCheaterson then posed that very challenge in his subsequent thread, where myself and Woops showed how it was possible and not as hard as he described.

Thanks for that, I couldn’t have explained it better myself
McCheaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 14:15   #15
Maverin

Cool Another challenge

Glad to see your question solved McCheaterson.
This is certainly one of the most iconic bits in Tomb Raider history.

I also saw your other thread describing this as the hardest TRII challenge, I see you have changed your opinion a little since then.
If you're up for a real challenge, which can get frustrating from time to time, then try a no-scratch and pistols only run of the game.
There are a few sections that will have you scream at the game.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-22, 15:39   #16
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCheaterson View Post
Thanks for that, I couldn’t have explained it better myself
Sorry I cannot help laughing. Very often I cannot understand other's English. But this time, I understand OP's English perfectly well, which most of you couldn't understand correctly.

I tried OP's father's route. I'm far from success, but I tend to believe this route is possible. rr_carroll once said
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_carroll View Post
How can anyone prove that something is impossible? We never know if all possibilities have been tried. Not even the designers know all the outcomes of the environments and moves.
xtimz is online now   Reply With Quote