www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 18-09-20, 11:25   #41
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Trans women aren't women though - they're trans women... hence the prefix. They are born with XY chromosomes (meaning they are male) and then possibly take hormone supplements and have plastic surgery if they want to transition and express their trans identity. It's still different from being born a woman with XX chromosomes. Pointing that out doesn't make someone transphobic - it only acknowledges that there is a difference between the two.
There is more to biology than what you study in highschool, did you knew? It's a lot more complex than that. Some of my transgender friends are XXXXY. That's a lot more X chromosomes than your regular cis women. Maybe they are superwomen.

There is also a high percentage of trans women who are XX but were insensitive to certain hormones during their fetal development.

You should be learning some human physiology before claiming those things because it cost you nothing not to be transphobic and if you are going to be backing your transphobia on biology maybe read some papers before trying to argue with people with science background like me for example.

EDIT: And we are wildly off-topic so I'm going to end it here.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 11:25   #42
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Claiming trans women aren't women, just men dressing as women. Also claiming that lots of trans women are just posing as women to harrash them in the bathrooms and changing rooms.

She also just published a new book with a clearly transphobic subtext, about a men dressing as women and killing them. I mean, if that came from anyone else, would be no problem, but when you put everything together...
Add to that the liking, retweeting and following known and open transphobes.
Its again a thing where im baffled that people dont see this kind of stuff.

I mean whats next? That people dont see the problem that she has all those fancy names for her characters, but the asian one is called cho chang?
The whole thing with the purebloods, half bloods etc and so on?

I mean sure there is a chance that she is just an idiot who doesnt see the problems herself on something, but the transphobic **** is all 100% on her and nothing new.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 11:34   #43
.snake.
Historian

Quote:
There is more to biology than what you study in highschool, did you knew? It's a lot more complex than that. Some of my transgender friends are XXXXY. That's a lot more X chromosomes than your regular cis women. Maybe they are superwomen.

There is also a high percentage of trans women who are XX but were insensitive to certain hormones during their fetal development.

You should be learning some human physiology before claiming those things because it cost you nothing not to be transphobic and if you are going to be backing your transphobia on biology maybe read some papers before trying to argue with people with science background like me for example.

EDIT: And we are wildly off-topic so I'm going to end it here.
As someone who comes from a family of doctors and surgeons, that sounds like pseudo-science to me. But okay... I only asked a question where she was actively transphobic - as in being hateful towards trans people. Simply saying that transwomen are different from women is like saying a cat is different from a dog; it's not saying one is better or more worthy than the other.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 12:03   #44
rewak
Professor

Quote:
No that would mean they have a pretty severe form of klinefelter syndrome which causes some pretty bad things to happen to the body
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 12:55   #45
Tsarina
Historian

@Snake-As a trans woman JK Rowling is transphobic. Trans people do not deny their biological sex, like many of these transphobic people tend to think we do and would have you believe. We acknowledge our biological sex is this or that, however gender is completely separate from sex. If you grew up with doctors and surgeons you should know that. You’re also more than welcome to research it on your own via the World Health Organization and the APA. Rowling’s comments about trans women not being women is harmful because she believes that biological sex should outweigh gender identity which it should not. One, you’re assuming people’s chromosomes. Not all trans women have XY chromosomes like you mentioned on your previous post, also not all trans woman take hormones and or have surgery. Rowling not only believes that trans women aren’t women but she also uses her platform to blatantly call trans women out which is harassment if nothing is else. She believes that trans people are a new form of a conversation therapy, with the mindset of “oh well why can’t they just be gay” because it doesn’t work like that. Sexual orientation, like biological sex and gender identity are all completely separate from each other. Claiming trans women aren’t women, in any regards only fuels the discrimination against us and denies us our identities , which in the long run can affect our mental health as well as our lives due to so many people getting what they know about trans women from media and not any direct sources. If highly recommended you watch the film Disclosure on Netflix which will give
You insight as to why her comments are inappropriate and why her upcoming novel is blatantly just another discriminatory attack on trans people.

Also there’s a helpful thread in the General Chat about what it means to be Transgender too you should check out.

On Topic: I want to like this but I’m thinking I’m going to pass if JK does in fact get any royalties from this.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 15:36   #46
.snake.
Historian

Everything you've stated actually makes it sound like Rowling is completely reasonable here. Trans women are not the same as cis women, otherwise you wouldn't preface one with 'cis' and one with 'trans'. It honestly seems to me like Rowling was just pointing out the obvious here, and not speaking from a place of hate - but then everyone decided to blow it up into something it's not. Isn't the entire point that someone who transitions from their biological sex into becoming a different sex (even if no surgery or hormones are involved) has a different journey and struggle than, say, someone born a biological sex that they do not feel they need to transition from? Isn't that kind of the whole point?? One needs to transition, one doesn't, therefore both are different. That doesn't mean that someone is actively a transphobe, and it looks like Rowling even stated this repeatedly, plus had a trans friend who chimed in.

But whatevz... agree to disagree and all that. I think Rowling is an idiot for completely other reasons, and am happy she's being "eaten by her own" as it were. I just think this game looks like it has cool castles so maybe I'll play it.

Last edited by .snake.; 18-09-20 at 15:37.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 17:23   #47
griffabee
Hobbyist

I will defend Harry Potter. It was my whole life as a teen. It brought me up with inclusive messages.

I will not defend JK Rowling's views today. The Harry Potter franchise is not reflective of them.

I will continue with my life, eagerly anticipating the upcoming game, knowing the story made part of who I am today.
griffabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 17:40   #48
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Hopefully it's as good as the classic games on PS1 and PS2.
My favourite of the PS2 games is Prisoner of Azkaban the last decent Harry Potter game IMO.

Goblet of Fire is a terrible game, Order of the Phoenix wasn't that great either and was the last Potter game that I played.

What little I recall of playing Goblet of Fire was being annoyed at the lack of free roam that's pretty much all I can recall.

Order of the Phoenix was ok and I liked the return to free roam, though exploring Hogwarts and the school grounds felt lifeless I don't recall meeting anyone while exploring the grounds, it's the second most boring open world game I played after Grand Theft Auto 4, it felt more like a walking simulator than a Harry Potter game.

I got bored with it quickly and deleted it.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 17:43   #49
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

let's be honest the pc version of those first few games were the best
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 22:52   #50
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

The Chamber of Secrets was the best And probably the only good one Though I don't remember disliking The Prisoner of Azkaban. And I certainly played all of The Order of the Phoenix. Well, those were good too.

I just can't boycott something because of its author's personal views (no matter how appalling they are). Same with an actor. If I like what they do, why would I stop myself from getting the product?

Money-wise, you'll end up hurting this Portkey developer way more than you'll hurt Rowling. It's cents to her and her fortune.

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 18-09-20 at 22:53.
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote