www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17-06-21, 13:49   #11
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMTBF View Post
Yep, I've just finished the next arc which I believe is called Secrets and Lies, did you like that one? I thought that while it wasn't mind blowing, it seems to be going in the right direction.

There was actually a laugh out loud moment when the bad guy is like "I do not fear the worlds deadliest assassins, but I do fear this girl, Lara Croft. And unfortunately, she does not seem to fear anything." And then in the next panel Lara's throwing up with stage fright. That would work really well on-screen.
Yes, I like all other arcs, they are much better! Or at least they do not suck completely. I'd say the second worst, "Spore" is perhaps too bland, and then "Survivor's Crusade" has great writing allied to very rough art. All the other ones are either quite good or even great.

The next one, "Queen of Serpents" is definitely one of the best, perhaps my second favourite. My favourite is the last one, "Inferno", it has great art and great writing.
__________________
Not an expert, but if you have any covid vaccine question, DM me.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 13:56   #12
biscuits
Relic Hunter
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Yes, I like all other arcs, they are much better! Or at least they do not suck completely. I'd say the second worst, "Spore" is perhaps too bland, and then "Survivor's Crusade" has great writing allied to very rough art. All the other ones are either quite good or even great.

The next one, "Queen of Serpents" is definitely one of the best, perhaps my second favourite. My favourite is the last one, "Inferno", it has great art and great writing.
I find that the comics got REALLY good once Rhianna Pratchett joined in as writer.
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 14:22   #13
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I find that the comics got REALLY good once Rhianna Pratchett joined in as writer.
Yes, but she was only involved in two arcs, you still have four more without her.

I think the problem with Season of the Witch was more of a "not knowing where to start the comic's plot rather than necessarily Rhianna Pratchett saving things by herself.

In retrospect, though, Secrets and Lies would have actually been a much better starting point than Season of the Witch, though. Add the pages about Lara and Sam being restless in their apartment, and keep it being about how Lara might have started to be addicted to danger and dealing with survivor's guilt by trying to help Alex's sister, and you would have a better starting point than everyone being somehow mind controlled by people worshipping Mathias and the Solari that hadn't even been in contact with the outside world for someone to know about their existence.
__________________
Not an expert, but if you have any covid vaccine question, DM me.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 15:50   #14
TrustyBow
Professor
 
TrustyBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Vroom Vroom
Posts: 4,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
.
The next one, "Queen of Serpents" is definitely one of the best, perhaps my second favourite. My favourite is the last one, "Inferno", it has great art and great writing.
Queen of the Serpents was my overall favorite. It felt like the perfect merger of the more grounded take they were initially going for and the more over the top adventure side that the series was known for.

I do like that the comics reasonably build up in scope. The Post-Rise stories feel a lot bigger and more cinematic. You also saw more of Lara's ruthless side.
__________________
Stings doesn't it?
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 19:11   #15
EliParker
Explorer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 664
Default

If you remember the ending of the novel, where there is a friendly EMT getting Lara’s bag? Just pretend that he is the guy from the comics, and it would make perfect sense for Lara to have the artifact and being hypnotized easily.
EliParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 19:54   #16
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliParker View Post
If you remember the ending of the novel, where there is a friendly EMT getting Lara’s bag? Just pretend that he is the guy from the comics, and it would make perfect sense for Lara to have the artifact and being hypnotized easily.
Still, it wouldn't really explain why there were people worshiping Mathias and the Solari, when again, they weren't getting in contact with the outside world. That, and them trying to resurrect him by sacrificing Sam in Yamatai for some reason. If they worshiped Himiko herself, it kind of could at least make a bit more sense, but then it would just be even more of a rehash of the game than what the last two issues of the arc already felt.

No, the Chernobil arc would have been a better starting point. Maybe the London part could have been expended to its own arc, just so Chernobil could fit Lara's PTSD and/or survivor's guilt a bit better.
__________________
Not an expert, but if you have any covid vaccine question, DM me.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 21:41   #17
ELIMTBF
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Yes, I like all other arcs, they are much better! Or at least they do not suck completely. I'd say the second worst, "Spore" is perhaps too bland, and then "Survivor's Crusade" has great writing allied to very rough art. All the other ones are either quite good or even great.

The next one, "Queen of Serpents" is definitely one of the best, perhaps my second favourite. My favourite is the last one, "Inferno", it has great art and great writing.
Yeah I have one issue from survivor's crusade, and the art seemed below par. I hate criticising comic artists because they are all probably better at that than I am at anything. But it's simple things like faces lot looking quite the same from page to page. I think you recommended Inferno to me in another thread, but I've reached the Rise itself now so I imagine it'll be a while until I get to the next comics stories!

I'm not keen on the art of these first 18 either. It just doesn't look like lara to me, and I'm not keen on the digital-style colouring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliParker View Post
If you remember the ending of the novel, where there is a friendly EMT getting Lara’s bag? Just pretend that he is the guy from the comics, and it would make perfect sense for Lara to have the artifact and being hypnotized easily.
Hmm, interesting thought! The first thing that comes to mind though is, if we have to do these mental gymnastics to make it fit, then it's not great writing.

I'm not sure it solves the problem though. He'd still have to hypnotise them while they were on the island. Unless... he hypnotised them separately afterwards, gave them an artefact each and made them think they took it. But then he'd have to have gone to the island himself, got the artefacts, then done all that. Doesn't seem to fill in the gaps, but cool idea though.

This also brings up another qualm. In the comics, Lara seems to not know about Trinity. Despite having some very up close and personal dealings with them, and learning that they considered recruiting her. So they don't tie together, especially with that hitman guy wanting her to take over from him.

I don't know which was written first but I don't think they read the others' existing work, or maybe they weren't meant to be strictly in the same canon.
ELIMTBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 00:04   #18
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMTBF View Post
Yeah I have one issue from survivor's crusade, and the art seemed below par. I hate criticising comic artists because they are all probably better at that than I am at anything. But it's simple things like faces lot looking quite the same from page to page. I think you recommended Inferno to me in another thread, but I've reached the Rise itself now so I imagine it'll be a while until I get to the next comics stories!

I'm not keen on the art of these first 18 either. It just doesn't look like lara to me, and I'm not keen on the digital-style colouring.
Thing is, you are right. The artist is actually great. Her concept work for Lara was actually quite good, and her comission pieces and graphic novels also look great. O think it was more of a her not being suited for monthly comics, and more for cover arts and graphic novels without tight schedules of release. Some artists strengths are better suited for different kinds of work.
__________________
Not an expert, but if you have any covid vaccine question, DM me.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 06:35   #19
ELIMTBF
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Thing is, you are right. The artist is actually great. Her concept work for Lara was actually quite good, and her comission pieces and graphic novels also look great. O think it was more of a her not being suited for monthly comics, and more for cover arts and graphic novels without tight schedules of release. Some artists strengths are better suited for different kinds of work.
Ah, I see. Just looked her up and yeah, she is!
ELIMTBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 16:38   #20
EliParker
Explorer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMTBF View Post



Hmm, interesting thought! The first thing that comes to mind though is, if we have to do these mental gymnastics to make it fit, then it's not great writing.

I'm not sure it solves the problem though. He'd still have to hypnotise them while they were on the island. Unless... he hypnotised them separately afterwards, gave them an artefact each and made them think they took it. But then he'd have to have gone to the island himself, got the artefacts, then done all that. Doesn't seem to fill in the gaps, but cool idea though.

This also brings up another qualm. In the comics, Lara seems to not know about Trinity. Despite having some very up close and personal dealings with them, and learning that they considered recruiting her. So they don't tie together, especially with that hitman guy wanting her to take over from him.

I don't know which was written first but I don't think they read the others' existing work, or maybe they weren't meant to be strictly in the same canon.
There is going to be a lot of mental gymnastics, especially when it comes to tying in with Shadow. The comics follow much better with these theories. I personally created a short word doc with all these mental gymnastics written out. Sadly most people here didn't care about my posts.
EliParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.