Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 21-03-11, 17:27   #101
Muyfa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
well I have no clear clue what kind of issues you had and with what hardware so I can't really comment
I doubt it's the x64 architecture per se though since it's been working there for many players.
As I was prying deeper into my own package I found what the problem most likely was; my native resolution of the desktop is 1920x1080. With that res TextureMemorySize=16 has to be changed to 32 for some reason (I'm no computer wiz, just trying stuff until it works).

Your package will most likely work fine for me with this tweak, but I've grown quite fond of my own little package so I will prob stick with that for now. :-)
Muyfa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-11, 22:00   #102
Caesum

Well, on my Windows 7 32-bit I have problems with this too.

I've installed it correctly and applied the patch, fmvs and menu are working correct, but after choosing New Game/Croft Manor it seems that the DosBox has stopped rendering. I can move Lara and I hear all sounds, but graphicaly it is frozen(with 1FPS - Fraps).
Strangely, it seems that the game works "perfect" if I use na_th_an's way to install TR, the only thing is that I cannot force dosbox to use all the space on 1440x900 resolution.

My computer:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
3GB RAM
GeFoce 9800GT
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 09:42   #103
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post

I've installed it correctly and applied the patch, fmvs and menu are working correct, but after choosing New Game/Croft Manor it seems that the DosBox has stopped rendering.
My computer:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
3GB RAM
GeFoce 9800GT
but on GeForce's I wouldn't recommend applying the patch
I have an nVidia card and don't use it anyway

I suggest you to reinstall it all again.
gidierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 09:53   #104
Caesum

Already tried that, but it doesn't work anyway. It seems that is DosBox or DirectX-related problem, because when I've tried to configure na_th_an's version I've met the same issue.

Last edited by Caesum; 23-03-11 at 10:05.
Old 23-03-11, 17:26   #105
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Already tried that, but it doesn't work anyway. It seems that is DosBox or DirectX-related problem, because when I've tried to configure na_th_an's version I've met the same issue.
(btw weren't you once on x64 iirc and had you not found the fmv fix useful back then or is my memory at fault here? did you get back to x86?)

well, you know the patched/unpatched dilemma boils down to directx (dosbox's but not my installer's default) vs. windib (my installer's vs. dosbox)

I guess it's less a matter of cpu architecture (32 vs. 64bit) than it is of os version since gulikoza himself always favors windib with Vista as opposed to WinXP
and apparently of gfx adaptor brand and even generation/series, like GeForce 8XXX vs. 9XXX

I know of reports about GF9800GT
read here: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...ghlight=9800gt

afaict it's not clear whether setting
output=opengl
and/or
machine=vgaonly (previously =vga)
as opposed to current default as machine=svga_s3 does any good.
Here my 8600M GS sure is fine with windib.

Last edited by gidierre; 23-03-11 at 17:30.
Old 23-03-11, 17:44   #106
Caesum

Yes, I had 64-bit version but I've changed it to W7 32-bit when I found out that one of my memory cart is broken. Strangely on my 64-bit version it worked much better. ;P
Anyway, those settings didn't helped. Infact TR crashes when I try to use opengl.

Last edited by Caesum; 23-03-11 at 17:48.
Old 03-04-11, 20:35   #107
tjkoller

Default freezing issue

I have win 7 64 and the game freezes when you start a new level. It gives the stats for completed level then you get a shot a lara head and nothing moves. You can do stuff and hear the results like draw guns, I found a tricky work around that requires you to save the game by memory and then loading it again by memory. I press menu button,down,action,right,action,down(to new slot)action. Esc twice menu,down,action,action. You have to do this blind so practice in the middle of a level to get it down pat
edit
After finishing qualapec The scene with larson froze at the beginning. I could hear all the dialog. When they finished I assume the stat screen came up. I hit action and the screen went blank. I hit esc and was able to play the folly. I installed the patch and was able to watch the beginning FMV including the trek to the andes.As much as I want to play TR I'm not sure its worth not being able to watch the cut scenes.

Last edited by tjkoller; 03-04-11 at 22:15. Reason: more info
tjkoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 16:16   #108
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Default workaround for Ati/Amd cards

I guess it's good to sum up info and some advice for owners of latest ATI(AMD) Radeon gfx cards, whose Catalyst Control Center has come to miss the option to tweak the depth buffer, so recreating the nasty well known depth artifacts issue
this can be worked out via a couple of simple things to do to play without too many glitches, like with GeForce and Intel cards
the bottom line: scroll down to.. the bottom line to skip the annoying details
this is continuing from this earlier post of mine about Radeon HD 5470
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...9&postcount=74
I've just had another laptop to test, an Asus this time (Intel Core i5 CPU @2.67GHz , Win7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD Radeon HD 6370M)

Catalyst Panel (3D tab/ OpenGL settings) has no Force z-buffer depth entry, depth artifacts consistently reproduce what I already showed in post #74
in the Registry btw there are multiple keys such as
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{.....}\0000\UMD\"ForceZBufferDepth"=hex:30,00 ,00,00
I started tweaking them far and wide, no luck, option stays disabled

Workaround:
use the alternate glide wrapper dll provided by the freeware nGlide
once installed, no more artifacts

there's a big con though here concerning anti-aliasing with nGlide (and with other wrappers too): you can toggle that on/off ingame (hotkey=F3) but neither is good

on one side you can put up with having all the jagged contours of gunshots etc., but the issue looms way larger than that, it sometimes/someplaces creates pretty funny outlandish geometric patterns all around the scenery like:

which is imho very disturbing as much as the depth fiasco would be

or else you get rid of it all but then fall back to the other side of it, like shown in following screen

and consider that this still frame I've chosen delivers much less than actually meets the eye as with every movement the glitch is keenly enhanced

so it's a matter of either getting a glut of absurd lines all around the place or a deluge of "holes" in texture seams

Workaround:
forget F3 (toggle it so that the uncanny lines disappear anyway) and to eliminate the second screenshot's disturbance, open CCC
see
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...ail/Knowledge/
although this example I found applies to an older driver version, go to your 3D standard settings:
standard antialiasing settings, pull slider all the way to the right for maximum/optimal quality (vs. performance), voilą it's all going well

Bottom line

Radeon users of the 5XXX, 6XXX series or whatever (and only these, since nVidia and Intel cards don't seem to need anything of this):
use nGlide dll, then change AA settings in CCC

you'll have no depth artifacts, and also no antialiasing bloopers in either direction
you can have a good visual experience even as you're a happy (?) Radeon user fighting to emulate the TRI 3dfx/glide gameplay look
HTH

Last edited by gidierre; 31-07-14 at 21:20.
Old 12-04-11, 06:18   #109
Muyfa666

I'm at Atlantis now (first time ever, yay!) and during the course of the game, I found an annoying glitch. Not game breaking, but a bit annoying.

Sometimes when a triggered audio track is about to start, the game locks up completely and the sound stutters like crazy for like 3-5 seconds before the game continues and the music plays. It does not happen on all triggered events music, only like 2 out of 10 or something. Any way to fix it?
Muyfa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-11, 11:58   #110
gidierre
Grease Monkey

iirc you said you're using a different dosbox svn build therefore files and settings being customized and unrelevant here you should open a different thread instead of posting into this one.