Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 16-04-20, 00:45   #41
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Which we know they aren't. LAU is similar to "bAd" Lara. The gameplay while camera oriented still takes inspiration from "bAd" Tomb Raider.

LAU Lara especially isn't bow gurl, she is strong in personality and has an attitude at times just like "bAd" Lara.
Lmao!

I think he’d like Legend tbh. It’s different enough from the Classics for him to enjoy. He just shouldn’t delve into Anniversary and Underworld...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 01:35   #42
Error96

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbr87 View Post
I recently happened to stumble across the new Tomb Raider Trilogy 2013-2018 and absolutely loved it! I particularly enjoyed the realism of the character development, the image and overall appeal of how they improved Lara Croft from being a really bad character in the 90's to something relatable and timeless. I grew up as a gamer in the 90s/early 2000s when the original Tomb Raider games came out and personally I could not stand them for various reasons from the controls, story and most of all the main character with the false bravado 'badass' persona of the earlier version of Lara Crofts character model. I hadn't touched video games at all between 2005 and 2019 and do not find most of whats come out in the last 15 years to be good, but the new TR franchise is surprisingly good. Since I missed everything post 2006 my question is:

As a fan of the new TR Trilogy and as someone who doesn't like anything about the original era TR games, are Tomb Raider Underworld & Legend worth playing?? If so, why? If no, why not?
I think Legend is great. It's very short but a lot of fun with a few nice side puzzles and time trial challenges to keep you going. Underworld is darker but a bit slower paced and probably I would say play Legend and Anniversary but skip Underworld.

You may not wish to take any of my advice as what you refer to as 'a really bad character' with 'false bravado' I really do love and I don't share your positives over realism in reboot Lara's development. It's a pity you feel that way about classic Lara and maybe at some point you will give a second chance as there is something truly amazing there. To be honest I feel just bemused by your post so even though I highly recommend Legend I have no idea if you will actually like it. It is definitely within the classic interpretation of Lara.

Last edited by Error96; 16-04-20 at 01:53.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 09:06   #43
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbr87 View Post
I recently happened to stumble across the new Tomb Raider Trilogy 2013-2018 and absolutely loved it! I particularly enjoyed the realism of the character development, the image and overall appeal of how they improved Lara Croft from being a really bad character in the 90's to something relatable and timeless. I grew up as a gamer in the 90s/early 2000s when the original Tomb Raider games came out and personally I could not stand them for various reasons from the controls, story and most of all the main character with the false bravado 'badass' persona of the earlier version of Lara Crofts character model. I hadn't touched video games at all between 2005 and 2019 and do not find most of whats come out in the last 15 years to be good, but the new TR franchise is surprisingly good. Since I missed everything post 2006 my question is:

As a fan of the new TR Trilogy and as someone who doesn't like anything about the original era TR games, are Tomb Raider Underworld & Legend worth playing?? If so, why? If no, why not?
Now, who writes in the same style as OP does. Hmm. Not a hard question, I'm afraid... but, let's not point fingers.

If you hate the classics, you'll probably hate LAU games too, especially Anniversary.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 17:09   #44
otbr87

Thanks to the people who took the time to answer the question I originally asked based on my inquiries about the mid 2000's era TR games, also to those who believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. To clarify a few things, nothing I posted in the original post was intended to be inflammatory but simply just my opinion. I clearly didn't state anything that was an indisputable fact regarding any of the Tomb Raider games, so therefore it's simply my opinion, just like everyone else's I read afterwards, it doesn't need to be prefaced with 'In my opinion'. Definitely no joke when I was warned about the negativity here, sheesh. I'm optimistic that there was quite a few thoughtful responses though as well. For those Classic and Reboot fans both who were helpful with my inquiry on the mid 2000's era, I appreciate your input and thoughts. For the Classic fans bashing the Reboots that's cool, I really don't care simply because it's a matter of opinion, just like my opinion on the bad character design and gameplay of the classic games. No further discussion needed on this.

On another note, I did have a chance to demo the LAU era games and do find them to be an improvement over the Classics, particularily Underworld but still not quite what I was looking for, and I'm glad I saved my cash. The Horizon game that was recommended does look appealing though.
otbr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 17:21   #45
JoelCaesar

Legend, Anniversary and Underworld are well worth playing. Fundamentally they play like the reboot except with auto aim not manual. Considering Legend is 14 years old it holds up very well in terms of graphics and game play standards. Lara herself is a very well developed character. Although I'd suggest playing the games in order since they technically are a trilogy of games and do feature recurring characters.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 17:52   #46
Vaskito

As a fan of every iteration of Tomb Raider, with the current one being my favorite (and let me add a huge eyeroll to usual rabid ones, who are literally attacking you just because you prefer a version of Lara/TR they hate and yet can't stop talk about every day), I think you'll have fun playing the LAU (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) trilogy. They are pretty simple, fun to play, and are really fluid, and Lara has an actual personality and isn't single toned.

To me, LAU is a perfect modernization of the classic games - because of what I've said above about Lara having an actual personality, as well as the fact that they have nice controls

However, and this is purely out of my personal opinion, when you compare them to the current iteration:

Story wise: they simply don't feel as deep, at least story and character wise (they're still a huge improvement over most of the classic games, regardless). If you're the type of person who feels invested in the story, and lore, in the current games there's a lot of detail and lore backing up the places you go to (even if it isn't perfect, I think it's pretty good). I personally find fashinating the Profet story in ROTTR, and everything about Lopez and his expedition, as well as everything that happened in Paititi etc.

Gameplay wise: LAU are really fun, but they're also simpler (wheather this is good or bad, I think it's really down to personal taste). It has auto-aim, so combat isn't as exciting as in the current games. For example, I love to do bow-only runs, plan stealth takedowns, etc., whereas in LAU you just run and press a button until the enemies die (however, you can do slow motion, and 'action-movie like' movements while shooting, which are also pretty badass - but combat remains pretty simple, which can make it boring in the long run).
Also, LAU is composed by levels, instead of a hub system like you have the current games, so it's more straightfoward and less prone to exploration beyond the scope of just solving a puzzle/platforming to reach the next place, so you don't have much space to just run around, admire and explore - but regardless, I think they are still pretty fun games, so I think you'll enjoy them (at least Legend and Underworld. Anniversary is my favorite game from that era, but it feels more intricate and dials up on isolation, platforming and puzzles, so IDK if you'll enjoy that).

My advice: give them a try. They're pretty cheap anyways,

Last edited by Vaskito; 16-04-20 at 17:57.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote