www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 10-06-21, 17:35   #18501
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

TR2001 is a very bad movie but... has a lot of charm, Angelina is very Lara Croft and has such Tomb Raider moments that she is my favorite.

TR2018 is a solid movie but too generic and forgettable. TR moments are very rare.

TR2003 is the worst ... a generic James Bond movie with no TR at all. I hate that movie so much.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 18:55   #18502
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

Hurray, I get to give my opinion again that TR2001 was great and the other two movies are poop
Old 10-06-21, 19:51   #18503
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

I thought that the 2nd film was a bit better than the first, but the first had more of a Tomb Raider feel to it. None the less, I thought they were both pretty awful films.
Old 10-06-21, 19:55   #18504
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I feel like if the first came out today it would be better received than it was initially it has the fun sort of feel that a lot of the popular films today have. A lot of the recent Marvel films have had stories that were every bit as light as that first Tomb Raider film.
Old 10-06-21, 19:57   #18505
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Hurray, I get to give my opinion again that TR2001 was great and the other two movies are poop
Oh no, the 2001 is a terrible mess. Incredibly fun to watch, and I love it! But it is a mess of a movie.

Both CoL and the 2018 movie are better, although CoL can be a slog and it is a bit too "Bond", and again, the 2018 one is a bit too generic. Still also love them
Old 10-06-21, 19:59   #18506
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

The first movie has an iconic halo. Angelina's outfit (very TR), the fight with the robot, the scene at the mansion, Cambodia temple ... It is as well remembered among the casual public. On the other hand, no one remembers TR the cradle of life ... and TR2018 despite being a decent movie is also very little memorable.

I think something like TR2001 but with a better script would work very well now. It was a bad movie but it had parts that worked very well and I think its structure was perfect for TR movie (Manor, two countries, two big tombs...) TR CoL travels a lot, too much, to remember any country and has practically no Tombs. And TR 2018 takes too long to visit a Tomb. Also, the Cambodian tomb seems to me the most interesting of all. A perfect mix of good design, supernatural elements. CoL's tomb was too science fiction and TR2018 was too real.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 10-06-21 at 20:13.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 21:04   #18507
SoraSakai
Professor

TR2001 is the best.
CoL sucks.
TR2018 isn’t bad, it’s just disappointing and dull.
Old 10-06-21, 21:06   #18508
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
TR2001 is the best.
I was under the impression that most people thought this film was garbage.
Old 10-06-21, 21:59   #18509
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I was under the impression that most people thought this film was garbage.
I mean, as a movie it is garbage, but as a Tomb Raider experience it is just joyful, exciting fun!
Old 10-06-21, 22:42   #18510
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I've always found through out the majority of the films it felt like nobody really researched the games. Lara is not James Bond and she isn't even Indiana Jones. Her character was always meant to be based off Emma Peel from the UK TV show The Avengers.

The latest film was definitely the closest we have gotten to the essence of Lara and certainly the closest to any of the games that it was adapting unfortunately they chose to include Richard and had this over involvement if Lara trying to live in the shadow of her father which is something the 2001 film introduced and has since become a staple of the franchise like it or not.

I feel like Tomb Raider 1 captured the adventure vibe and locations and feel of the game through out the Tomb segments and 2018 did a better job at capturing Lara as a fleshed out character but marred her down with daddy issues. If Obsidian manages to keep the good parts of Lara's character with the adventure feel of the first film then we could have something special because Richard is no longer alive to steal the agency from her. I hate how the films and game always remind us that her dad was an adventurer and so she is too it just takes away from her own uniqueness and makes her seem less self assured in herself. My father is a builder and mother was a midwife it doesn't mean I wanted my goal in life to be either of those professions and the same goes for the majority of people as we are all unique individuals.

I always think there are better ways to elevate Lara as a character without giving her a love interest or some family drama to deal with but a film is a different medium and translating a lone wolf can be hard which is why I feel like they need more relatable side characters that can actually hold their own and be a competent ally to Lara. By all means bring in a fellow female archaeologist or combatant and show that friendship develop.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 10-06-21 at 22:54.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote