www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 18-09-21, 12:24   #9071
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Is there any official in game confirmation it takes place in 2018? Personally I think it makes more narrative sense for the reboot era to happen ove the span of about 2 years at most. Most people won't read the comics or books so the games have to tie everything together and to have two year gaps between each event just seems way too large for me.

Plus, it can also be retconned. Richard or Amelia dying at two different ages in Rise and Shadow kinds show that details are a bit in flux.

Not that her age in the reboot era matters of the next game will pick up with her in her thirties bit it just seems a bit too much of a gap to me.
All Tomb Raider games take place in the year they were released in, except Chronicles and Anniversary, obviously.

In Rise you can read the date on one of the newspapers while Lara is doing research in London I think that has a date with 2015 in it and in Shadow on one of the tombstones during Lara's nightmare has 2018 written on it.

It doesn't help that they kept saying the games take place a fe months apart every single time they were doing interviews to promote them lol.

Last edited by LNSNHGTDS; 18-09-21 at 12:25.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 12:33   #9072
jajay119
Tomb Raider

This is what I mean. There is a lot of disparity at between established events enough for things to be retconned for the unified timeline.
Old 18-09-21, 12:39   #9073
Rai

Quote:
Is there any official in game confirmation it takes place in 2018? Personally I think it makes more narrative sense for the reboot era to happen ove the span of about 2 years at most. Most people won't read the comics or books so the games have to tie everything together and to have two year gaps between each event just seems way too large for me.

Plus, it can also be retconned. Richard or Amelia dying at two different ages in Rise and Shadow kinds show that details are a bit in flux.

Not that her age in the reboot era matters of the next game will pick up with her in her thirties bit it just seems a bit too much of a gap to me.
Some people have pointed out how a gravestone in the game has 2018 on it. Perhaps more than one. This appears to be confirmation that the game takes place in this year, but Eidos M said Shadow takes place approximately 1 year after Rise, yet the comics contradict that as there's around two years timeframe, if they're canon. But EM and CD have not been too hot when it comes to continuity. Rise showed a clear death year for Richard as 2003, which would have made Lara 11 at the time, but then Lara herself says she was 9 when he died (shadow). It's always been unclear as to when her mum died, but presumably it was before Lara was aged 5.

There is no indication that they will stick to the events of the classic and LAU games within the timeframe they were during those games. Or even that Lara will have those adventures one year at a time. Trying to age Lara for the unified timeline is a little pointless as we have no way of knowing how they're going to do it yet. I think having a ten year + time jump, even if we can explain that gap with those adventures,is a bit too much. We cant really say 'oh she was in her mid-to-late 30s during Legend as this is a different timeline and a different Lara. Reboot Lara's mum did not disappear when Lara was 9 and Lara didn't make searching for Amelia a catalist for her going on adventures, and there's no reason to beleive shes taken 10+ years to get to TR12. Right now it's easier just to say TR'13/Rise/Shadow - anime adventures - Classic/LAU adventures - TR12 and leave the timeframe and Lara's age ambiguous.

Last edited by Rai; 18-09-21 at 12:45.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 13:53   #9074
Cal20608
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Right now it's easier just to say TR'13/Rise/Shadow - anime adventures - Classic/LAU adventures - TR12 and leave the timeframe and Lara's age ambiguous.
I think itís better to leave Laraís age ambiguous for longevity reasons. If Laraís age is set in stone each game, eventually we will have to reboot again or end the series. I donít think passing the mantle would work for tomb raider either cause itís Lara as a character we love and wouldnít want to see her replaced by her daughter or another person.
Old 18-09-21, 15:14   #9075
killchan
Professor

I'd say that everything that looks like a 30~49 yo can pass as mature, strong yet athletically high performance at the same time without having to disclose her age. I'm talking about an individual that's particulary blessed and Lara fits the criteria by definition . That I think is the age slot they should place her from now.

Anything outside of that range would be immediatly identifiable and place her (in the player's mind) in a specific phase of her life.

Last edited by killchan; 18-09-21 at 15:16.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 16:24   #9076
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Some people have pointed out how a gravestone in the game has 2018 on it. Perhaps more than one.
Yes, in Cozumel lots of gravestones marked with 2018, also the nightmare dlc too...

Quote:
This appears to be confirmation that the game takes place in this year, but Eidos M said Shadow takes place approximately 1 year after Rise, yet the comics contradict that as there's around two years timeframe, if they're canon. But EM and CD have not been too hot when it comes to continuity.
Is it really?
Yamatai took place in 2013, then RoTR was released in 2015, so the two year gap can take place before SoTR.

Quote:
Rise showed a clear death year for Richard as 2003, which would have made Lara 11 at the time, but then Lara herself says she was 9 when he died (shadow). It's always been unclear as to when her mum died, but presumably it was before Lara was aged 5.
is that in RoTR? in the cutscene with his gravestone?
Old 18-09-21, 16:42   #9077
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post

Is it really?
Yamatai took place in 2013, then RoTR was released in 2015, so the two year gap can take place before SoTR.
Yes, the comics apparently spanned around 2 years between Rise and Shadow, what with Lara taking a year out for travel and training plus her other travels hunting down Trinity. So EM claiming that Shadow takes place one year after Rise, does contradict that timeframe if they're canon.

Quote:
is that in RoTR? in the cutscene with his gravestone?
Yes, that's what I was thinking of.
Old 19-09-21, 10:17   #9078
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Here's the thing though; I personally believe that the games trump all side media on terms.of cannon as they're the main thing people will consume. The comics have always felt at odds to the games in both how Lara is as a character and the events that happen to the point they feel they shouldn't be cannon at this point. That background info and character development needs to make its way into the games moving forward.
Old 19-09-21, 10:40   #9079
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Here's the thing though; I personally believe that the games trump all side media on terms.of cannon as they're the main thing people will consume. The comics have always felt at odds to the games in both how Lara is as a character and the events that happen to the point they feel they shouldn't be cannon at this point. That background info and character development needs to make its way into the games moving forward.
Seeing how the anime will apparently depict canon events too I fear this won't be the case...
Old 19-09-21, 11:38   #9080
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
Seeing how the anime will apparently depict canon events too I fear this won't be the case...
Well, I would like to think that's despite the characterisation being the main focus of the reboot trilogy and still falling short for many that SE/CD would really look to fix that now. We can all hope.

This article makes some great points on this topic actually.