www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 24-09-21, 16:58   #3901
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I hope they actually audition the role of The Doctor this time and not just whack in someone like Oli Alexander who he has worked with before.
Old 24-09-21, 17:03   #3902
Fantasy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
And the next show runner is...
Russell T Davies.
[url]https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58682472[/url]
We won

Maybe people will start watching again, I know I will
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 17:17   #3903
croftyboy
Historian

I can't say I am hopeful.

Chibnall himself wasn't a bad writer or showrunner (Torchwood, Broadchurch...) But we all know what he did under this management of BBC and how they want to handle Doctor Who brand.

Return of Davies alone does not make me happy. The general idea of those days's Doctor Who should return. Because it doesn't end with showrunner. I think BBC will continue pressuring their ideas and agendas above the storytelling. And I can't say I am too keen on Russel T. Davies's romantic plots.

Davies' original era was good because everyone on the team worked like clockwork. The writers, showrunner, actors, composer... Everyone was in harmony with each other and each one of the cogs were chosen considering their talents and experiences.

Chibnall era however consist of people who have no idea of what sci-fi or acting is, they are only there because they represent minorities. There was not a single soul in the writers room who had sci-fi experience. All of them were political writers with very little work on their names. Or the new composer didn't really do anything but tingling some chords of a guitar and giving it a digital echo. Or just remixing the original '63 theme song. The only memorable soundtrack of the last two seasons is "Sonic Screwdriver" and it was only used once.

Now, only the showrunner aspect of Davies era is returning, so I don't think it will be any close to those good old times because every other thing that made previous era bad, is still here.
croftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 20:57   #3904
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Russell returning is a massive step in the right direction. It's really the best decision the BBC could have made. Russell as showrunner/writer will be able to make the big decisions which will hopefully make improvements to the show and relaunch it once again.

I like to think the BBC have learnt their lesson and will just let Russell get on with it, because we all know he's going to bring in the viewers. But we'll see. I'm sure if things stay the same people will turn off. Also the previous shows Russell has done since Doctor Who have been really good so I have faith.
Old 24-09-21, 23:28   #3905
jajay119
Tomb Raider

A lot of people go on about the 'BBC pushing an agenda' but I watch a fair bit of BBC programming and DW is one of very few series where it is happening. I think it's not a case of over management but under management where the BBC just let those in charge of the different shows get on with it and Chibnall's enclave have had this idea of a show they want to make and they've done it.

RTD may have a lot of 'woke' programming under his belt of late but he was writing LGBT TV before he even went on to Who when he did Queer as Folk and that didn't make its way into his original era because it wasn't suitable. I think RTD is good at knowing what is suitable for different series and I'm looking forward to see what he brings back to the series.

Plus, the BBC have promised there will be major change once Chibnall leaves which suggests, to me, that they're aware it's not working.
Old 25-09-21, 09:46   #3906
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

It depends also maybe on the wishes of the producers. In this case the future production company for Doctor Who will be... Bad Wolf !
https://bad-wolf.com/about/
Old 25-09-21, 11:02   #3907
xcrushterx
Relic Hunter

Omgggggg I am here for this.
Old 25-09-21, 12:40   #3908
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
It depends also maybe on the wishes of the producers. In this case the future production company for Doctor Who will be... Bad Wolf !
https://bad-wolf.com/about/
I love this also! This is a good sign! This means Julie Gardner will be back as Producer! I assume she's still working there.
Old 29-09-21, 18:06   #3909
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I love this also! This is a good sign! This means Julie Gardner will be back as Producer! I assume she's still working there.
She's on the listed staff on the home page, so more than likely.
Old 08-10-21, 21:32   #3910
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

So they erased all social media accounts and contents. Something is imminent.
Weird PR stunt. The only time I remember something like that was with Radiohead.