www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 17-07-21, 19:08   #91
not again!
Archaeologist

^^ Thank you turneraider for sharing how you solved the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaniHeger View Post
hi i'm trying something cursed, and my model is inverting the light? how can I fix this.
lmao, that Lara face! I'm calling the police.

I'm stumped what causes the mirrored lighting issue tho. What was your workflow? Did you import the Lara skin using the Wad Blender plugin and then import into WadTool, or did you use a different method?
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 05:51   #92
HaniHeger
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
^^ Thank you turneraider for sharing how you solved the problem!

lmao, that Lara face! I'm calling the police.

I'm stumped what causes the mirrored lighting issue tho. What was your workflow? Did you import the Lara skin using the Wad Blender plugin and then import into WadTool, or did you use a different method?
I exported each mesh per time on Skeleton Editor, imported on Blender, edited, and imported back at WadTool!
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 13:16   #93
not again!
Archaeologist

Models when exported from WadTool show up in back-view when imported into Blender - did you keep them that way or did you turn them around somehow?
It does make a difference whether you mirror or turn by 180 - the best way is to turn them by 180, mirroring will change the position of the pivot points.
If you did mirror the meshes then this is where I would start and check if the issue goes away if you turn the meshes instead.
If that is not the issue, I do not know what else it could be.

Last edited by not again!; 18-07-21 at 13:26.
Old 07-08-21, 10:04   #94
Bergus
Hobbyist

I have a question reguarding Blender and TRLE engine. It is a bit weird but maybe it is something level builders know.
Let's say I have an object with these two faces A and B:

Code:
   / \
  /   \
 /  A  \
|       |
|       |
|       |
|   B   |
|       |
|       |
|       |
if I split A into two triangles A1 and A2:

Code:
   /|\
  / | \
 /A1|A2\
|       |
|       |
|       |
|   B   |
|       |
|       |
|       |
a new vertex is created and B becomes an n-gon.

My question is this: if I omit in the wad file this new vertex from face B, so that it remains a quad, does the TRLE engine screw up the model?

I would like to avoid splitting face B, but if excluding this vertex would create artifacts or gaps, I cannot implement a new exporting feature I was designing for WADBlender.

Last edited by Bergus; 07-08-21 at 10:05.
Bergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 10:48   #95
AshySlashy
Student

Once I imported an object into WT, but have forgotten to split an N-gon (it was a bottom of a sun-shaped key and had about 8 vertices). So, the object was fine, but that N-gon face was just missing leaving emptiness in its place. I joined the vertices into triangles and the bottom appeared textured in WT. So, maybe there's a similar case.
*waiting for someone's more experienced reply*

Last edited by AshySlashy; 07-08-21 at 10:50.
AshySlashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 14:53   #96
Bergus
Hobbyist

Thanks AshySlashy, so probably Tomb Editor does not act on n-gons since TR cannot read them.

I think my case is a bit different. I try to explain better, given these faces:

Code:
   /|\
  / | \
 /A1|A2\
2---3---4
|       |
|       |
|       |
|   B   |
|       |
|       |
|       |
5-------6
I specify this list of vertices for each face:

A1: 1 2 3
A2: 1 3 4
B: 2 4 5 6

so vertex 3 is on face A1 and A2, but not on B. The TR engine should read them since they are not n-gons, but I worry that this can cause gaps or artifacts.
Old 07-08-21, 16:56   #97
not again!
Archaeologist

Speaking entirely from modelling experience in general, I'd say that you would probably not notice much with a hard surface model that has flat shading, but if it's a model model with smooth shading, then I assume it would create a break in the smooth shading.

But I'm going to test this quickly to make absolutely sure that this is how it works in the TR engine too! Give me a sec.

edit: Ah, it's definitely noticeable:

Tested the cube with both flat shading and smooth shading, and you actually did notice even with the flat shading, though you can't see in the screenshot. There was a flickering along the "broken" edge on the cube with the flat shading.
Also I just realized this is actually the same situation as with room geometry and the infamous "cracks" where the subdivisions of the walls / room geometry don't line up - the wavy effect for underwater then tears actual holes in the geometry along such "cracks".

Last edited by not again!; 07-08-21 at 17:25.
Old 07-08-21, 18:53   #98
Bergus
Hobbyist

Oh, thanks for the test not again!, I didn't know how to test properly and you saved me a lot of time!!!

I'm sad because my idea for wad saving need to be trashed
I wanted to split the uv triangles into two right-angle triangles and rotate them to align with the wad grid. But those funny vertices ruined everything. If I split the other faces, they will create other ngons and so on and so forth. The model gets quickly destroyed Now I can try other things, finger crossed!
Old 08-08-21, 06:04   #99
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergus View Post
so vertex 3 is on face A1 and A2, but not on B. The TR engine should read them since they are not n-gons, but I worry that this can cause gaps or artifacts.
This setup will work but it will result in cracks in places where vertices are not aligned or connected. Think of something like what happens when you have cracks in level geometry, or in TR1-3 where water surfaces touches walls (the entire underwater room seems disconnected on those edges).

TR engine works with triangles and quads. Quads have to create a perfectly even/flat surface in order to work properly (so eg. you can't raise one vertex of a quad to create a diagonal slope; if you do that TR engine will have problems with rendering it properly until you turn it into two triangles). It is advised to work with quads if possible, because triangles can bloat up texinfo.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 15:13   #100
Bergus
Hobbyist

I see, thanks Caesum! I suspected it was something bad, but hoped the engine was more forgiving