www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Lara Croft and Tomb Raider on Android and iOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26-11-20, 18:55   #501
Fantasy
Professor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Anywhere but Paititi
Posts: 3,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
I think he's actually coming across them himself along with the team. Hopefully the learn something out of this.


He's a great dude but c'mon...who thought of a mobile game?
Meh... I’m not a fan of the art direction but I hope it’ll be fun. I’m more excited for TRUE
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 18:56   #502
lance6439
Legend
 
lance6439's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UTOPIA ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
Posts: 31,368
Default

I liked everything until I saw it was for mobile devices lmao
__________________
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 19:10   #503
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
Could be as well, we can agree, they just need to be betterly written.

Your example about how Lara dealt with Konstantine, that was really good.
Yet, back in shadow, she was completely out of her mind when she handed that dagger to Dominguez and how she was very emotional when she met jonah again to tell him what she did; she was so hysterical.

Then again when Rourke was talking to her through the walkie-talkie, telling her about Jonah's death, manipulating her and she easily believed that and what did she do?
She swore, she was super crazy...

It is these contradictions that make this Lara Croft character seem off and poorly written as well.

It is like when the team sat down to write her down there was no clear Character biography about her.

They just seem to swing her emotions according to circumstances because they want to force us to sympathize with her nothing more, and that is why the emotions are not as genuine as they should be

She contradicts with the way she acts for no obvious reason which makes her seem like she has an identity crisis
That's one of the points of SotTR, though. Lara is having a sort of identity crisis. Her actions are erratic and contradictory because she is feeling erratic and contradictory.

By the time of SotTR, Lara is fully driven by an obsession for revenge and stop Trinity. That's why she fully lashes out, insults and all, at Rourke on Porvenir. But when she sees Jonah alive and the destruction she caused at the site, she breaks because she realises how easily manipulated she has become due to her obsession, or maybe even that in a twisted way she "wants" to be manipulated, she wants an excuse, any excuse to go rampant. And that scared her, because that's not the person she thought she was.

It also explains why she just gave the box to Dominguez afterwards, because she was trying to distance herself the most from that side of her. Yet everything still goes south.

Which explains her final decisions at the climax of the game: like it or not, things will get messy for Lara, and she needs to act. She can embrace her destructive side, but not be consumed by it. Act because the circumstances demand it, and not because she is stuck in the past and holds a grudge. She kills Dominguez because it is necessary, not for revenge, and doesn't change the world because she needs to move on.
__________________
Not an expert, but if you have any covid vaccine question, DM me.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 20:26   #504
jajay119
Tomb Raider
 
jajay119's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,901
Default

Can you please write the games? I dont know how you came to that conclusion from what the game showed but I like it.
__________________
... in my opinion.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 20:31   #505
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider
 
Yuna´s Wish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Argentina
Posts: 15,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
That's one of the points of SotTR, though. Lara is having a sort of identity crisis. Her actions are erratic and contradictory because she is feeling erratic and contradictory.

By the time of SotTR, Lara is fully driven by an obsession for revenge and stop Trinity. That's why she fully lashes out, insults and all, at Rourke on Porvenir. But when she sees Jonah alive and the destruction she caused at the site, she breaks because she realises how easily manipulated she has become due to her obsession, or maybe even that in a twisted way she "wants" to be manipulated, she wants an excuse, any excuse to go rampant. And that scared her, because that's not the person she thought she was.

It also explains why she just gave the box to Dominguez afterwards, because she was trying to distance herself the most from that side of her. Yet everything still goes south.

Which explains her final decisions at the climax of the game: like it or not, things will get messy for Lara, and she needs to act. She can embrace her destructive side, but not be consumed by it. Act because the circumstances demand it, and not because she is stuck in the past and holds a grudge. She kills Dominguez because it is necessary, not for revenge, and doesn't change the world because she needs to move on.
Beautifully written Make it a sticky in the Shadow's subforums.
__________________
For the last time, I won't say goodbye!
Yuna´s Wish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 20:57   #506
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Can you please write the games? I dont know how you came to that conclusion from what the game showed but I like it.
I think part of the "problem" (not necessarily a problem, or a problem with SotTR or the reboot games in general) is that the plots of games generally tend to be written in a very direct way: everything is explained right when it's happening, every character explains exactly what they are feeling. Most definitely a relic from when there was no voice acting in games, or even because gaming is a very active medium, so there really isn't time to process things.

On the contrary, the reboot games, especially RotTR and SotTR, are written in such a way that you need to think about everything to fully understand what's happening. You really need to have in mind what came before, the small reactions of the character, about the arc the game is trying to tell (which was hinted at during Cozumel, for example, with Lara doing something without thinking just to stop Trinity, make a huge mess, and not really fully grasping what happened until she Jonah snapped her out of it). Not saying they are the best thing ever written, but I am not pulling things out of my butt either. These themes are present in the game's plot, very deliberately by the writers. It's just being delivered in a way that isn't really that common in games, and perhaps for a reason.

For example, RotTR also hints that Lara's daddy issues aren't really daddy issues at all, it's actually all about Lara. At start of RotTR, Lara is being mocked due to what she said about Yamatai, like her father was in the past. Her proving Richard's claims about the immortal soul as true, proves that Himiko's immortal soul was also true. Her proving Richard was not crazy proves she herself is not crazy. When pushed about her true intentions with going after the the prophet's tomb and then Kitezh, she always ends up saying something along the lines of "I saw something that I can't explain". Jacob even confronts Lara directly telling that she might actually be doing things for herself and not for her father. I wish there was a more explicit moment where Lara explicitly says this is her true intention with going after the Divine Source and stuff, but again, it's all actually there already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
Beautifully written Make it a sticky in the Shadow's subforums.
Why, thank you!
__________________
Not an expert, but if you have any covid vaccine question, DM me.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 26-11-20 at 21:02.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 10:05   #507
tlr online
Administrator
 
tlr online's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 59,653
Default

Heads up, I'm going to move this thread to our Android and iOS sub forum.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 11:00   #508
UroshUchiha
Explorer
 
UroshUchiha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Serbia
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
Heads up, I'm going to move this thread to our Android and iOS sub forum.
Thank you, the proper place for it
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 13:17   #509
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter
 
TR-Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 5,136
Default

"No"
- Lara Croft, 1996
__________________
"Your perception of good timing is...bad!"
TR-Freak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 14:16   #510
redfox45
Professor
 
redfox45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Temple of Xian
Posts: 2,903
Default

People focusing a lot on the like/dislike bar but the one thing that is jumping out at me is the view count(s)

Those are not very impressive numbers for a franchise that is apparently still popular.

If the general gaming audience still had a lot of interest in TR and it's future, those numbers would be much bigger whether the reaction was positive or negative.

That's why all this internal fighting is so silly. TR is dying and soon all these little disagreements might be irrelevant.
__________________
"They stay inside their little ponds"
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.