www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 31-08-21, 16:16   #1
Ameliorator
Hobbyist

Default Skyboxes and Loading Screens: Upscaled + Fixed

Hi everyone

This a post I'm making to showcase 2 of the mods that I've made for the old gen version of the game. As it says in the title, I've upscaled and made fixes to all the loading screens and most of the skyboxes in the game.

Skyboxes:

For the skyboxes, I used the next-gen versions of the skybox textures to do the upscaling, since they were higher quality to begin with. The fixes I made were mostly cleaning up of the sections where the 2 sky textures meet (none of them actually matched up properly) and then getting rid of all the compression artifacts. I ignored changing the Croft Manor skybox because it is barely viewable and looks fine from what you are able to see. I also left out England for the same reasons but mainly because it's just a black square.

‏‏‎ ‎

Loading Screens:

For the loading screens, I did what ATombRaiderFan has done and used the 4:3 aspect ratio versions of the mission prep screen and the rewards / after credits screen. The widescreen versions of the main game loading screens are actually in a 2:1 ratio. The majority of peoples computers screens today are 1920x1080 in the 16:9 ratio, which means the game's loading screens are always getting stretched for most of us. When I upscale the images, it doubles them in size. This meant I was able to then downsize and adjust the images to fit 1920x1080 without making them look stretched.

‏‏‎ ‎

There are some more comparison pictures here

Last edited by Ameliorator; 29-09-21 at 05:43.
Ameliorator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-21, 16:41   #2
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

Great to see this thread up and running, and thank you for the shoutout

I have to say the difference in quality for the Tokyo and Ghana skyboxes really shows, so I think this mod is essential. The new loading screens looks absolutely stunning too.

Thank you for your hard work!
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-21, 17:26   #3
Ameliorator
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
Great to see this thread up and running, and thank you for the shoutout

I have to say the difference in quality for the Tokyo and Ghana skyboxes really shows, so I think this mod is essential. The new loading screens looks absolutely stunning too.

Thank you for your hard work!
Aw I really appreciate that thank you! I wanted to keep these mods as vanilla as possible so Iím glad you think itís essential. And yeah Japan was actually the first level I tested out for this project. When I saw the new skybox I was genuinely shocked it was amazing haha
Old 01-09-21, 08:28   #4
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameliorator View Post
Aw I really appreciate that thank you! I wanted to keep these mods as vanilla as possible so I’m glad you think it’s essential. And yeah Japan was actually the first level I tested out for this project. When I saw the new skybox I was genuinely shocked it was amazing haha
No problem! I'm actually quite excited to see more people taking interest in modding for Legend.

BTW you might want to mention in the masterpost of this thread that it's vital to make sure your tpf files occupy the top spots in the TexMod list when mixed with Old Gen+, because the highest tpf files takes priority. Old Gen+ have 3 loading screen edits that would be used instead if the order is wrong.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 01-09-21 at 08:34.
Old 01-09-21, 10:19   #5
Ameliorator
Hobbyist

Quote:
No problem! I'm actually quite excited to see more people taking interest in modding for Legend.

BTW you might want to mention in the masterpost of this thread that it's vital to make sure your tpf files occupy the top spots in the TexMod list when mixed with Old Gen+, because the highest tpf files takes priority. Old Gen+ have 3 loading screen edits that would be used instead if the order is wrong.
Hey Iíve edited my post, thanks for the tip

And yeah Iím excited about this too. All these mods along with the TheLuckyEdge10 & TheIndraís mesh modding and the potential of us maybe some day having a Legend/Anniversary level editor is incredible
Old 02-09-21, 14:49   #6
Ameliorator
Hobbyist

EDIT: Added some detailed comparison pictures of textures to the masterpost
Old 03-09-21, 05:24   #7
LateRaider
Professor

ameliorator, atrf, you two should merge projects
Old 03-09-21, 11:50   #8
Ameliorator
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
ameliorator, atrf, you two should merge projects
Lol I wouldnít be against that if it was something ATRF was okay with. I donít know if theyíre interested in these fixes being part of the old gen+ mod
Old 03-09-21, 13:32   #9
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameliorator View Post
Lol I wouldn’t be against that if it was something ATRF was okay with. I don’t know if they’re interested in these fixes being part of the old gen+ mod
I'm okay with the idea of merger because I always thought of Old Gen+ as a community project. After all Old Gen+ isn't just made up of my work but also MachoBroccoli's.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 03-09-21 at 15:01.
Old 03-09-21, 15:13   #10
Ameliorator
Hobbyist

Quote:
I'm okay with the idea of merger because I always thought of Old Gen+ as a community project. After all Old Gen+ isn't just made up of my work but also MachoBroccoli's.
Yeah Steve (MachoBroccoli) made some great fixes to the game too. I'm happy for my mods to be part of Old Gen+, I wanted all the mods to be able to be used together anyway. Plus it's always more convenient to have multiple different fixes grouped together

Last edited by Ameliorator; 03-09-21 at 15:23.