www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 05-10-21, 13:01   #21
Rai

Crystal Dynamics have three studios now this suggests to me that they're in a healthy place as a studio. I can't see SE letting that go, presumably SE also invested in them to allow them to branch out?

Also CD are developing Marvel Avengers games, so would that contract go with them? Wouldn't MS have to negotiate a deal with Marvel to keep that going?
Old 05-10-21, 13:07   #22
DOPE
Relic Hunter

I don’t think it’s fair to compare where Xbox was to where it is now. Microsoft has been putting tons of resources into the brand ever since Phil Spencer took the lead and has been growing it exponentially in the last few years. They’re not spending billions on studios for nothing so we’ll see where that will lead, because it’s still too early to see its effects. They also seem to be giving their studios complete freedom which would benefit Tomb Raider immensely. Not to mention, having the games available on Game Pass and on streaming could potentially bring tons of new people into the community. But I get it, this forum is Playstation biased so nobody is probably interested in having these discussions.
Old 05-10-21, 13:19   #23
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE View Post
I don’t think it’s fair to compare where Xbox was to where it is now. Microsoft has been putting tons of resources into the brand ever since Phil Spencer took the lead and has been growing it exponentially in the last few years. They’re not spending billions on studios for nothing so we’ll see where that will lead, because it’s still too early to see its effects. They also seem to be giving their studios complete freedom which would benefit Tomb Raider immensely. Not to mention, having the games available on Game Pass and on streaming could potentially bring tons of new people into the community. But I get it, this forum is Playstation biased so nobody is probably interested in having these discussions.
I think it's fair and I've explained all the caveats that I have too.

For example:

"Obviously since then MS has bought more studios, some of whom are significant players in the industry and so there's no denying that their approach to their 1st party studios may have changed greatly."

It's not about playstation bias. That's your own bias coming through. If the discussion were about playstation taking over TR, I'd be considering similar elements.

In a proposition like this - a potential buyout - a valid element to consider is past performance. It's also valid to consider the why they would do something like this - fodder for their gamepass. And also, to consider their financial resources (vast) and what the potential implications of that are.

And there will also be other things to consider too. These are just the points I've highlighted.

This is one of the things that irks me about this forum, the inability of people to consider that it's valid to discuss issues around something without it being "tribalism" at play. I find it ridiculous because I've held jobs where I've had to make equivalent kinds of analyses and make proposals moving forward, but if I highlight elements here I think are potentially impactful, it's all because "Playstation" and console wars.

No. That's you applying your own criteria to the situation.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 05-10-21 at 13:22.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 13:35   #24
DOPE
Relic Hunter

How easily irritated. Your analysis is valid, I’m just giving my general opinion too. And the Playstation biased part wasn’t aimed at you, but to those who would live for it if the thread was titled “Sony” instead of “Microsoft”.
Old 05-10-21, 13:36   #25
biscuits
Relic Hunter

At the end of the day it's just speculation.
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 13:38   #26
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Don't worry guys. My brother's friend's grandmother's next door neighbour's dog lives with someone who works at SE and they told me it's not happening. Panic over.

*Source is as credible as the one in this article
Old 05-10-21, 13:57   #27
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
How easily irritated.
Again maybe consider your own behaviour instead of labelling others.

Quote:
Your analysis is valid, I’m just giving my general opinion too. And the Playstation biased part wasn’t aimed at you, but to those who would live for it if the thread was titled “Sony” instead of “Microsoft”.
Fair enough.

At the end of the day there are potential signficant benefits and disadvantages of Crystal / TR going to a company like MS.

But one thing I have noticed is that their extreme wealth enables them to operate in a high risk manner because they are able to accept big losses in a way that no other player in the market can. This means that what they quickly pick up then can discard with ease too. And that will always be a significant element of concern for me should they ever buy Crystal /TR.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 05-10-21 at 14:00.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 14:37   #28
DOPE
Relic Hunter

I get that. I’d rather take the risk with them than any other competitor though. Microsoft’s goal at this point is to build up a diverse library to attract subscribers instead of sales, I think that gives developers a much safer ground to work with in terms of what they can do and the risks they can take with more unique games. But as I said, it’s still early to see the effects of this strategy as their studios have barely put out anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Again maybe consider your own behaviour instead of labelling others.
My post was as polite as it gets, I don’t have anything to consider.
Old 05-10-21, 14:52   #29
amiro1989
Relic Hunter

This is not surprising one bit. The Initiative partnership rose even more suspicion that Microsoft is indeed looking into acquiring the studio. Perfect excuse to say we already work great together, join the family.

Not a fan of the idea. I don’t think Microsoft has a great track record for crafting and leading creative and interesting universes. Either way, if it was to happen, not much I can do about it. In the next few months/years, studios will be acquired by the leaders of the market, just like we are seeing elsewhere in the entertainment business.

I sort of made my peace with it. Microsoft has deep pockets so any offers made to Crystal/Square will be very very lucrative. And as some of you pointed out, selling CD does not mean selling the TR franchise. Both are distinct.

Last edited by amiro1989; 05-10-21 at 14:55.
amiro1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 14:57   #30
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
My post was as polite as it gets, I don’t have anything to consider.
I told you in my post what I think you need to consider, but I can't make you. You don't have to come back to tell me that, I don't need an update.