Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 28-01-19, 19:04   #101
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Yeah keep up the negativity, RE 2 is blowing it all out of the water. Definitely will get nominated for game of the year.

When RE 2 proves once again that classic is still here and has much life in it what will you say then?
Negativity? I actually like the RE2 formula way more than RE5 or RE6. I'm just stating the facts.

If it gets nominated for GOTY I would be very glad. That doesn't negate anything I've posted previously, though. And you seem to not have any arguments against them.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 19:06   #102
paulojr_mam

Resident Evil 2 isn't a remake. It's a reimagination. It's another game. TR remakes should be much more faithful, even if they were modernized remakes, because they would be actual remakes, whereas not even Capcom's producers call RE2 a remake. TR is even easier to modernized, because the original TR games are much more similar to nowadays games then RE was, with 3rd person camera, fully polygonal environments and etc. Slap polygonal control in them and they're magically modern.

And I bet RE8 will be very similar to RE2, because RE2 is striking a perfect balance of sales, critic scores and fan praise.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 28-01-19 at 19:13.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 19:08   #103
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Negativity? I actually like the RE2 formula way more than RE5 or RE6. I'm just stating the facts.

If it gets nominated for GOTY I would be very glad. That doesn't negate anything I've posted previously, though. And you seem to not have any arguments against them.
Your not stating facts, your just trying to find an angle to defend the reboot and the absence and death of classic.

Even though reboot was not created because of the sales of LAU according to the developers.

And did I not just say that RE 2 is more then a remake to them, it is a new entry in the series and the developers said that the RE franchise will take inspiration from RE2?

Or were they just lying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
These people are so obsessed with defending the the reboot at every turn instead of looking at the actual issues.

"Hey, the ship is sinking."
"If you don't talk about it, it won't sink."
It really is, it's maddening

Last edited by charmedangelin; 28-01-19 at 19:09.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 19:30   #104
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Resident Evil 2 isn't a remake. It's a reimagination. It's another game. TR remakes should be much more faithful, even if they were modernized remakes, because they would be actual remakes, whereas not even Capcom's producers call RE2 a remake. TR is even easier to modernized, because the original TR games are much more similar to nowadays games then RE was, with 3rd person camera, fully polygonal environments and etc. Slap polygonal control in them and they're magically modern.

And I bet RE8 will be very similar to RE2, because RE2 is striking a perfect balance of sales, critic scores and fan praise.
I wouldn't mind a TR re-imaging.

The changed elements of 2 (MR.X freely roaming the station, manual aim requiring you hit specific points of enemies and a bigger emphasis on dodging zombies.) were the best bits IMO.

It took the good bits from the 3D games and the good bits from the 2d fixed camera games.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 19:36   #105
Gman

Quote:
A future Tomb Raider game doesn't mean Classic Lara can't be a part of it. I'm just tired of other franchises having their classic heros and we for some reason just can't have that.

I am jealous to be honest.

I too want something fresh and new, but I also want something that actually respects where it's coming from and continues what was to make something truly great.
I agree. In fact I utterly despise ROTTR and SOTTR mostly because of what they've done to Lara Croft - not only to her classic self, but also to who she was and learned to be during the events of TR2013.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 20:45   #106
the magi

Back to the roots is the answer. There's nothing wrong with the original formula, and no reason why the same feeling can't be replicated in a modern game AT ALL.

In fact, I think it's pretty shortsighted to not consider how popular a tomb raiding game in different locales, with a heavier focus on platforming and figuring things out with amazing vistas with mystery, and isolation and a lone protagonist can be.

Throughout the ups and downs and fads of any medium, people start developing beliefs about how people like and don't...and these are constantly broken and unbroken....what was popular 30 years ago and uncool 10 years ago, comes back now and everyone loves it. And is considered boring again in the future. So this idea of what the market expects is pretty much a moot point. If you develop something with real quality...people will buy.
the magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 21:03   #107
thomas.smith.503

Back to the Roots.

Mic drop.
thomas.smith.503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 23:06   #108
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Your not stating facts, your just trying to find an angle to defend the reboot and the absence and death of classic.
Except I have. I've been giving you numbers and quotes I've found thanks to a quick google search. It would only take you a couple of minutes to verify everything. And I've already stated a few pages back that I would want a hybrid of all eras because I like all of them but I also understand their shortcomings. I think we could find a nice balance to please as many fans as possible. But I will never be on board with extremism and dramatics, and with the usual "with me or against me" attitude.

The fact that some of you are saying that the success of a couple of new remakes mean we should have classic TR back is baseless. That doesn't mean a new entry with that formula will succeed. I really don't know and neither do you. For now, it only means that the "remake-mania" is popular these days and a TR remake could be possible and be successful, which I would be very happy about. But sadly, I don't see that many people clamoring for a TR remake either.

I have seen people asking for duals, classic outfits, manor, etc outside of here and I think the next game should feature those, no doubt. But again, my opinion is that we should have a nice hybrid for the next game (continuing the reboot storyline but set some years into the future), while also having a couple of remakes that could be created by a smaller studio in the same vein as the classics. That would be perfection for me.

Quote:
Even though reboot was not created because of the sales of LAU according to the developers.
When did they say that? As fas as I know the information we have is that the reboot was already being talked about when Underworld was released. If I remember correctly while Underworld was in production, part of the team was also working on finishing Anniversary, so I doubt they had another team working on Ascension without even knowing what the reception would be for the last 2 games of the era. Plus, rumors about Ascension and the very first leaked image started circulating about half a year after TRU was released. It puzzles me that anyone would think we have the reboot for another reason that's not the underperformance of the LAU trilogy (specially Anniversary, the worst selling game of the franchise).

Quote:
And did I not just say that RE 2 is more then a remake to them, it is a new entry in the series and the developers said that the RE franchise will take inspiration from RE2?

Or were they just lying?
Whether or not they'll keep that formula will depend on its success, no matter what they say publicly now. That's my point. Actually, now that I think about it, devs have also said that the next TR game will follow Reboot Lara in standalone adventures so I guess you might be right after all. If that's the case and according to you, we should take what they say incredibly serious, then this thread is actually pointless, then.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-19, 00:17   #109
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I adored TRA. I think a darn good remake. I enjoyed it so much, that it's likely the TR game I replayed the most.
I would like remake of TR3 in the likes of TRA, with Legend's engine
I adore TRA as well, but it's far from an accurate remake. It's basically a retelling in Legend style.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-19, 00:56   #110
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I adore TRA as well, but it's far from an accurate remake. It's basically a retelling in Legend style.
But let's be also fair, the RE2 remake is also a retelling of RE2 in the style of RE4.

There is are two things about RE2 remake though:
  • It had a proper development time
  • While gameplay is in a modern style, the design philosophy is the same as the original RE2

I think especially that last point is the actual key here. And in case of classic Tomb Raider is a proper balance between calmer "stop, look and think" moments and more active "quick action" ones. Especially because no area was just about combat, or just about exploration, or just about puzzles. The focus of an area could be one of the pillars, but there was always a bit of all in each area. Even if it was a puzzle area that suddenly had a random bat or rat to shoot. Or a puzzle that you had to both think carefully, but act quick.

This blend is what I think is missing especially in SotTR's main game, but is present in the tomb that came with the "Nightmare" DLC: that tomb perfectly blends classic design with modern gameplay.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote