Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 10-01-19, 10:22   #1
FreakRaider

Default Death of the Tomb Raider

What if square lost interest in making tomb raiders because of their low sales and eidos/crystal/montreal or whoever is responsible decide to drop the series all together?

I mean shadow was the last part of the reboot trilogy, it would make sense for them to at least now stop creating more games in that specific lara universe.
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 11:16   #2
FanosCroft

They said during sottr's PR that this is not the last game, there'll be more in the same universe of reboot.
I know, plans may change, but they seem pretty confident and this is a big franchise, if SE would drop TR, Im sure another publisher will jump immediately to buy it.
FanosCroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 15:13   #3
Grimaldi

Shadow’s lukewarm success is not enough to invalidate the entire brand imo. AoD didn’t kill the series, neither did Underworld underperforming, I can’t see how this would - I can definitely see a change coming, whether it be in a different developer with a smaller budget, a renewed focus on the Lara Croft series for the time being, remasters of the classics to test the waters and figure out what people want from TR, etc.

But no, I don’t think we’re in danger. The reboot series, maybe. If they continue with this timeline, I think big changes will have to come with it.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 15:32   #4
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
remasters of the classics to test the waters and figure out what people want from TR, etc.
I think this would be the best course of action and the more likely action with the games 25th anniversary coming. Would be a great way to unite the fans and renew interest in the franchise through 90's nostalgia, which is the big thing nowadays.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 15:44   #5
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Shadow’s lukewarm success is not enough to invalidate the entire brand imo. AoD didn’t kill the series, neither did Underworld underperforming, I can’t see how this would - I can definitely see a change coming, whether it be in a different developer with a smaller budget, a renewed focus on the Lara Croft series for the time being, remasters of the classics to test the waters and figure out what people want from TR, etc.

But no, I don’t think we’re in danger. The reboot series, maybe. If they continue with this timeline, I think big changes will have to come with it.
I agree. Out of all the lukewarm games, Shadow has probably done the best out of all of them, in terms of sales and general reception.

I can definitely see them doing more with the LC games or taking on remasters, and not just because of Shadow’s performance. I think they’ll want to tackle something different for the time being, partly to be refreshed when it’s time for the next game.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 16:43   #6
Swiz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I think this would be the best course of action and the more likely action with the games 25th anniversary coming. Would be a great way to unite the fans and renew interest in the franchise through 90's nostalgia, which is the big thing nowadays.
I just don't think releasing remasters of the classics is really indicative of what people want, especially when the games just haven't aged well. As a classic fan I still love and play them, but any modern casual games would hate them. Especially when trying to deal with the camera and just the general difficulty.

If they wanted to unite fans, they could have easily added dual pistols, shorts and a braid to Shadow. Something as simple as one or all of those things would go a long way for fans, but as of current we are still yet to get anything
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 22:12   #7
OrangeJuice

Quote:
remasters of the classics to test the waters and figure out what people want from TR, etc.
oh yes pls

but like full on remasters like the crash and spyro ones not just hd ports
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 23:46   #8
tomee

Nah TR been through way worse. Shadow wasn't the success they were expecting, we believe, but it didn't FLOP flop. TR is still one of Square's most valuable assets and just because they are a trash and incompetent publishing company, doesn't mean they'd just get rid of it.

I think TR is fine, though the next game might not come for a little while unless they give the mantel to Eidos again. Crystal is still busy with their Avengers title, which AFAIK doesn't even even have a release date yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
oh yes pls

but like full on remasters like the crash and spyro ones not just hd ports
I'd be really happy for HD ports too. Just make them available. Much better than nothing.

Last edited by tomee; 10-01-19 at 23:47.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 23:50   #9
OrangeJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I'd be really happy for HD ports too. Just make them available. Much better than nothing.
heh idk. i don't think anyone but the hardcore fanbase (meaning: us) would tune in for that.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 23:55   #10
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
heh idk. i don't think anyone but the hardcore fanbase (meaning: us) would tune in for that.
Thing is, I think a Spyre style remake also wouldn't light the video gaming community on fire. Square could of course just promote it smart and efficiently, but too bad because they seem to be physically unable to perform such things.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote