Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 29-06-22, 18:16   #1
Evil Doggos

Default This game is Hell

Yes I know the tank controls. Yes I played a good amount of Tomb Raider 1 and 2. While I haven't completed them fully, I got the hang of the levels to some extent.

Tomb Raider 3 I decided to play because of the level variety and already it's tough. On the River Ganges and just wow. I'm not enjoying the playthrough at all. Endless death traps. Bs level design as if the devs hate the players. This game is hard and discouraging to play. I'm surprised I haven't got mad yet but I'm definitely not having fun. I'm almost content to level skip because Jungle and Temple Ruins alone exhausted me despite a guide and cheats. The platform segments are not satisfying.

Because the game is so cryptic to where you have to use a walk through because of how dumb the levels are being non linear, I'm also annoyed using a guide constantly. It's as if you have to get through trial and error. Experimenting with death. I played tough games but this is insanity.

What's the enjoyment of this game? Is this for masochists? Highly skilled players?
Evil Doggos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 18:31   #2
Blackmoor

Honestly it gets "worse" (more difficult with traps, etc) in some places. So if you're really hating it that much....

You could try playing on PC (if you're not already) where you can save everywhere. That helps a lot.

It is considered by many (me included) the most difficult TR and I do remember when it was released that it deterred many with its difficulty.

I say this as someone who loves TR3.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 18:38   #3
UroshUchiha

TR3 is like unfair Mario. Thankfully I've played the classics enough times now to know where death traps are more or less in the entire game. But I do remember my first playthrough, it was frustrating and not fun at all.
Thankfully I played it on PC so constant save loading was a huge help.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 18:43   #4
Evil Doggos

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Honestly it gets "worse" (more difficult with traps, etc) in some places. So if you're really hating it that much....

You could try playing on PC (if you're not already) where you can save everywhere. That helps a lot.

It is considered by many (me included) the most difficult TR and I do remember when it was released that it deterred many with its difficulty.

I say this as someone who loves TR3.

Well, I'm playing on PC and still annoyed.
Old 29-06-22, 19:58   #5
Blackmoor

Like I say, it gets more difficult so if it's not your thing, maybe try something else instead. Life's too short to play games you hate.

There are some tough areas ahead for a 1st time playthrough. I know I got really stuck in places.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 29-06-22 at 20:01.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 20:01   #6
Niko Todd

*To be deleted*

Last edited by Niko Todd; 15-08-23 at 16:01.
Niko Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 23:51   #7
Evil Doggos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko Todd View Post
India is nothing. Things get really nasty once you get to Madubu's Gorge, Lud's Gate, and RX Mines.

After the first game was released, they have to rush a sequel every next year. They burned out very quickly and never got the chance to fix old problems or be fully creative.

TR1 was weird, new, but fresh and good overall. Created huge amount of expectation.
TR2 - highly anticipated, but generated a division among people; some hated it, some loved it. I'm in the middle - hate some levels, love the rest. But the lack of creativity and repetition started to creep in. And it was the TR3 where the never fixed old problems and the studio exhaustion got morphed into a full blown sadism.
TR4 was the aftermath of all that, and Chronicles the obituary, and I'm not talking about the game's plot :P

That all makes sense. It shows. The game is just all ****y with having to see so much intolerant design details with things that don't look interactive. I'm on Nevada now. It's by far the best level. Experience is enjoyable but it still suffers with such absurd non linear platforming. How was I suppose to know a health pack route leads to a cliff that doesn't look like you can grab it? Why are some slopes ok to walk on and others aren't? It's notoriously ******** piss poor gameplay design that honestly ruins this game. It's not cheap. It's a goddamn robbery.

The boss I face in the cave literally seemed impossible without all weapons cheat. If you don't hit 4 Rockets, death from endless fire or you just waste lots of health packs. Honestly stupid.

Last edited by Evil Doggos; 29-06-22 at 23:56.
Old 30-06-22, 00:07   #8
NikkySan

To fight Tony you need to keep moving to avoid his fire blasts, but you can kill him fairly quickly with the shotgun, you can get plenty of free shots off him before he fires his first blast.

If you pay close attention you can see which slopes are too steep to walk on. TR3 is difficult but a lot of the problems you’re having is due to your own error, not the game’s.

Last edited by NikkySan; 30-06-22 at 00:08.
NikkySan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-22, 01:28   #9
Evil Doggos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkySan View Post
To fight Tony you need to keep moving to avoid his fire blasts, but you can kill him fairly quickly with the shotgun, you can get plenty of free shots off him before he fires his first blast.

If you pay close attention you can see which slopes are too steep to walk on. TR3 is difficult but a lot of the problems you’re having is due to your own error, not the game’s.

You're saying this is good design and my problem? Sure guy. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TL0...w?usp=drivesdk
She's floating on water.
Old 30-06-22, 06:08   #10
.snake.

Honestly, if you didn't enjoy India, just stop now. India is by far the easiest and best part. You will hate the rest of the game.

If you want to stick it out with classic TR, I'd advise you go back to TR1 and 2 and see those through to the finish or restart them, since, if I'm reading your first post correctly, you never completed those. The reason why I suggest that is because they are a good learning curve for TR3.

I started my TR journey with TR4, and it took me almost a year to complete because TR's obscure gameplay and navigating the geometry takes time to understand and learn. It was a difficult nightmare at first, I vowed never to touch TR again, and now 4 is my favorite game ever and I've replayed it countless times. But I wish I had started with 1 and progressed through the series organically.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote