Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 10-06-19, 09:44   #1
Chamayoo

Default Things that TRF seems unanimous about

Our fandow is famous to be extremely divisive and I see some members losing faith about it. Especially now considering how Shadow of Tomb Raider's reception is raging.
So I collected some popular opinions that I felt everyone agrees on. I'm sure if all the points below will be respected for the next game, it will be better receive here.
However we're not safe about unfortunate things like unfinished and unpolished game and story or hum... some kind of restrictions. These things unfortunately could overshadow all of this.

- No family issues in the story.
Since 2001 with the first film, a huge majority of the main TR games and movies featured more or less family issues. There is a clear weariness today and it seems everyone agrees that it should end now.

- More Classic iconography into Lara.
While Lara is extremely divisive today, I still understand that no one seems against of a bit more of wit, athletism, or aesthetically the backpack or dual guns to come back.

- A good balance between the genres of the game.
TR 2013 shows that not everyone was satisfied about the game exclusive focus on gunfights. Shadow shows that not everyone was satisfied about the game exclusive focus on exploration/puzzles.
If a game with a good balance between exploration, gunfight, platforming and puzzles existed, I'm sure there will be no complaints.

- A challenging experience.
The new difficulty options by Shadow was warmly welcomed here and I'm sure everyone here is eager to see this expended more.
No hints (visual or vocal), no slow motion, no hand holding, complexe level design are always been a favourite.

- New animations.
Even with some members who still like them, it seems everyone want something totally fresh about it. After all, some animations are old from 2008 and of course 2013. For a game that will be a part of the 2020's, it needs to change.

- Globetrotting
It's not that only one location can't have varied settings and multiple cultures, but exploring several countries allow it more easily and it seems like a popular demand in TRF.

- Vehicles
Another popular feature which TR2 introduced back then and was absent since 2008.

Would you add more things ? Or contest some ?

Last edited by Chamayoo; 10-06-19 at 14:53.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 09:52   #2
Portugalraider

I think most here also agree that the games need to have a narrative that better balances serious and light-hearted moments.

Great thread btw. I just hope it doesn't derail soon
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 09:58   #3
iWANEX
Golden

I agree with all of the above. Probably fixing her hair is something the majority of fans want too.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 10:08   #4
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I think most here also agree that the games need to have a narrative that better balances serious and light-hearted moments.

Great thread btw. I just hope it doesn't derail soon
It will. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks btw. You're right : I don't recall someone wanted a game overly serious.
Though I don't know about the tone of the game. Some want totally dark, some gore, some are against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I agree with all of the above. Probably fixing her hair is something the majority of fans want too.
True. Unless they did worse or as much controversial haha. What I understand : a bit more forehead, less fringes (but not removed them entirelly uh) and less voluminous could maybe be enough.
Old 10-06-19, 10:32   #5
_Seth

Interesting thread idea.

I think yeah everyone would agree that Lara's ugly curtain of hair draped all over her face needs tidying, and that traps need heavier reintegration.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 10:39   #6
larafan25

They unanimously want a game that suits each of their own unique preferences beyond any sensible definition for these games. To have a definition would imply some degree of satisfaction that will never be met. Not one can agree if they were to get specific enough.

Speculation is an outlet or a medium of creation for those here.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 10:44   #7
Maverin

No family issues in the story.
→ I guess you're about 95% right about this one. The family related story has been expanded upon to the maximum and it's time for something fresh.
There might be some members who would like to see more about it, but they are very much in the minority.

More Classic iconography into Lara.
→ This one is already a tad controversial. Some members are really happy with reboot Lara as she is right now and don't have desire for more classic treats. Although the majority would like to see some things return. Polls have proven that most members want more wit and confidence. There are of course many that want the ever so popular dual guns, braid, shorts and backpack to return. But that still doesn't include everyone.

A good balance between the genres of the game.
→ everyone likes a good balance so I think it's safe to say you're right here. The % of combat versus silent puzzling is subjective though. There is no right or wrong here.
That's also the reason why some people prefer TR1 over TR2 and vice versa. It's a preference thing.

A challenging experience.
→ I've never seen any post about the games being too hard so you're right again about this. However, all those difficulty additions should remain optional.
Older members or just "bad" gamers should still get a chance to enjoy the story even if that means constant assistance.

New animations.
→ The animations now aren't necessarily bad but they carried through the whole trilogy. I also believe it's time to rework the old ones and to create some new move sets as well. They didn't bother me at all in Shadow though.

Other popular things I've seen members ask for are expanded globetrotting and the addition of vehicles.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 11:46   #8
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
They unanimously want a game that suits each of their own unique preferences beyond any sensible definition for these games. To have a definition would imply some degree of satisfaction that will never be met. Not one can agree if they were to get specific enough.

Speculation is an outlet or a medium of creation for those here.
Sadly I can't deny that. Utimately that is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
More Classic iconography into Lara.
→ This one is already a tad controversial. Some members are really happy with reboot Lara as she is right now and don't have desire for more classic treats. Although the majority would like to see some things return. Polls have proven that most members want more wit and confidence. There are of course many that want the ever so popular dual guns, braid, shorts and backpack to return. But that still doesn't include everyone.
I didn't imply that's what everyone absolutely wants but I notice that the members who are happy with Reboot Lara isn't actively against the reintroduction of Classic Lara features, just they don't mind them to the least.
The exception I could recall is the "sexiness, sexuality" subject which the debate is always heat.

Quote:
A challenging experience.
→ I've never seen any post about the games being too hard so you're right again about this. However, all those difficulty additions should remain optional.
Older members or just "bad" gamers should still get a chance to enjoy the story even if that means constant assistance.
I totally agree. The easiest option should convinced unexperienced and casual gamers and the hardest option should convinced skilled and hardcore gamers. When studios said the game is for everyone, I expect this, not only for one side.

Quote:
Other popular things I've seen members ask for are expanded globetrotting and the addition of vehicles.
I think you're right ! Some polls about them could be fun.
Old 10-06-19, 12:01   #9
ThatSassyKid

I agree with those tbh, can't think of anything else.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 12:07   #10
Tombraider95

Sounds good to me. I've hated her moppy hair since 2013, that's the only other thing I'd add.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote