www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 15-07-19, 23:24   #1
Maverin
Archaeologist

Default Harpoon gun ammo scarcity

A rather small question but I didn't know where else to put this.

Did anyone else feel like harpoon ammo is hard to come by? I normally never use anything except the pistols, but the sharks at the beginning of 40 fathoms have no other way of being killed so I decided to make an exception and pull out the harpoon gun for the first time. At very close range I had to blast almost all of my ammunition just to get those 2 kills. Makes me wonder how people get any kills with it if they already used the gun on the scuba divers before.

I know that in order to get all kills, I'll have to use harpoon ammo again at Wreck of the Maria Doria. There are sharks that can't be targeted from above somewhere near the end of the level. By that time I hope to have gathered enough new ammunition though. And as far as I can recall, those sharks will be the last enemies that require the use of the harpoon gun. There are some other very annoying and tedious sea creature kills but at least it's possible to kill them eventually by getting out of a one square opening.

What are your thoughts?
Old 15-07-19, 23:56   #2
Danath
Archaeologist

Talking

I would have to replay the game again because i cannot remember it very well now. But yes, i kind of remember the harpoons being quite scarce.

In the game i'm making i will try not to make the same mistake and provide you with more than enough harpoons to kill all aquatic enemies, so you don't fear missing a few shots.

On a side note, i always liked fighting underwater with the harpoons. If you use the roll button to quickly turn you can avoid being hurt at all, except if there's more than one scuba or animal.
Old 16-07-19, 09:05   #3
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

I never had any problems with harpoon ammo in TR2, i think it was just right in terms of ammunition items. But if You ask me about TR3 then, well...

Now that's a hardcore
Old 17-07-19, 03:00   #4
JCGaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post

Did anyone else feel like harpoon ammo is hard to come by? I normally never use anything except the pistols, but the sharks at the beginning of 40 fathoms have no other way of being killed so I decided to make an exception and pull out the harpoon gun for the first time. At very close range I had to blast almost all of my ammunition just to get those 2 kills. Makes me wonder how people get any kills with it if they already used the gun on the scuba divers before.

I know that in order to get all kills, I'll have to use harpoon ammo again at Wreck of the Maria Doria. There are sharks that can't be targeted from above somewhere near the end of the level. By that time I hope to have gathered enough new ammunition though. And as far as I can recall, those sharks will be the last enemies that require the use of the harpoon gun. There are some other very annoying and tedious sea creature kills but at least it's possible to kill them eventually by getting out of a one square opening.

What are your thoughts?
I always thought of the harpoon gun as the joke of the series I mean its useless and I never use it except when I'm messing about.
JCGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 03:56   #5
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGaming View Post
I always thought of the harpoon gun as the joke of the series I mean its useless and I never use it except when I'm messing about.
I really think its uselessness is due to its speed.

It fires slowly, takes a while to reload, and even the harpoons don't travel fast enough to actually hit enemies most of the time.

You can of course learn to work around these limitations and fire it accurately, but most wont.

I wonder if the velocity of the harpoons can be edited at all in these games, they seem to travel a lot more slowly than real life Spearguns. The TR4 crossbow can be patched to adjust the speed of the bolts (it's based on the TR2/3 Harpoon gun), and increasing their speed would greatly improve the accuracy and effectiveness of the harpoon gun. Even rate of fire and reload speed wouldn't need to be adjusted as the faster bolts would compensate and balance the gun.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 17:43   #6
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post

What are your thoughts?
Always feels like you're on the brink of running out.

If you make sure to fire at close range while firing at enemies straight ahead you won't have too much trouble but I made sure to surface and use other weapons whenever possible.

I don't even get why, The Harpoon gun apparently does the weakest damage of any weapon in the game, they do 1 damage (like the pistols) but the pistols are dual so its 2 per shot unless they're off to the side and Lara is using one gun.

This isn't like Underworld where they still do decent damage, they're literally the worst weapon in the game so I don't get the ammo scarcity.
Old 17-07-19, 18:13   #7
trfan16
Archaeologist

I sort of like the Harpoon Gun in TRII and used it quite a bit in the Maria Doria levels. It's not the best weapon to use if you're fighting more than one enemy or one of the frogmen. But it can be quite useful for dispatching enemies in underwater areas where you spend some time or if there is no surface nearby to shoot them from land. It's more preferable to shoot at enemies from the surface though. The ammo for the gun is quite scare though. In fact, I checked one of badassgamez's walkthrough for 40 Fathoms and there were only three pick-ups worth of Harpoon ammo (not counting the ammo you get for getting all 3 secrets.)

I found the Harpoon Gun to be worthless in TRIII though. There's only one level where the gun might be useful (Lud's Gate), and you can use the yellow submarine thing to fire Harpoon ammo instead. Other than that, there are not many underwater enemies to fight in this game.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 01:38   #8
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

To me it was never the lack of ammo for the harpoon gun that was a problem, but the fact it was a kind of gutless weapon, it was very slow to use and as it slowly reloaded, you felt the sharks or scuba divers would get Lara first. And for some reason I always thought an underwater baddie was always right behind Lara, just out of camera range, ready to get her

My last resort was using the harpoon gun underwater. What I did instead was just dodge the sharks and outrun (out swim) the scuba divers, as they were slow in the water.

or just get out of the water if you could and use other weapons to blast the baddies in the water, he he
Old 01-08-19, 16:10   #9
ace_85
Relic Hunter

My feeling is that the underpowered nature of the Harpoon gun was a game-balance design choice by Core to maintain the tension of underwater combat. Being able to blast through aquatic enemies in a couple of quick shots would have done away with a fair degree of the 'panic factor' that these encounters generate.
ace_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 00:35   #10
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Harpoon gun was too much 'panic factor' for me, try this instead, its far more effective

Last edited by The Great Chi; 11-08-19 at 19:31.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote