Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 21-03-20, 21:12   #2631
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Reboot TR is more formulaically adherent to classic TR than LAU ever was.
LAU games featured tombs as main place of exploration/adventures since day 1.
Reboot took 5 years to have actual tombs in the main gameplay and use it.

Quote:
Yes, LAU had twin pistols but that's about it.
and Natla. Don't forget Natla.

Quote:
Reboot has no magnetised jumps (contrary to popular belief) and offers more open areas for exploration.
All the scripted jumps are magnetized, and all the jumps in a specific camera angle also magnetized.
Climable arrow jumps are also magnetized. As soon as the green circle appears, it doesn't matter how far Lara is. (for example)

Last edited by Zsott; 21-03-20 at 21:14.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 21:45   #2632
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
LAU games featured tombs as main place of exploration/adventures since day 1.
Reboot took 5 years to have actual tombs in the main gameplay and use it.

All the scripted jumps are magnetized, and all the jumps in a specific camera angle also magnetized.
Climable arrow jumps are also magnetized. As soon as the green circle appears, it doesn't matter how far Lara is. (for example)
Reboot has non-urban environments, so the qualification is still there when it comes to setting. Either way, raw level design prevails, and so reboot is (a bit) more complex. Legend's levels are a straight line near enough, TRA is just TR1 but for people with snot for brains, and Underworld was faux openness with it's symmetry in every single level, whereby what you do on the left (which is simple and straight forward) you repeat on the right, on every level.

Scripted jumps from the few bombastic chase sequences each game has? Yeah I already acknowledged that. Otherwise there's no magnetisation because you can steer away from ledges mid-air. Climbable arrows make up a tiny part of the platforming, and I agree they were awful if you don't have the broadhead skill (whereby you can go back to normal demagnetised jumps and embed the arrows that way).
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 19:52   #2633
_Seth

I should imagine this is unpopular among the AoD appreciation community, of which I am proudly a part of: I would have preferred a fully realised AoD to have just been one single standalone story for one single game. I don't think cliffhangers, two-parters and trilogies have any place in a franchise like TR. Episodic, where each game is a self-contained open and closed book, is the most appropriate because it allows anyone to jump into any of the games. Uncharted and James Bond have followed this formula and it makes sense for the kind of franchises they are.

When games start attempting over-arching stories, they almost always goes to pot. See: mishandling of the AU in LAU, then the reboot trilogy. See also: all of Assassin's Creed.
Old 02-04-20, 22:10   #2634
ThirteenCroft

Here's my unpopular opinion:

Reboot's manual aiming is the best thing that ever happened in the entire series. I always thought that the automatic aiming was too easy.
ThirteenCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 22:34   #2635
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenCroft View Post
Here's my unpopular opinion:

Reboot's manual aiming is the best thing that ever happened in the entire series. I always thought that the automatic aiming was too easy.
Not sure about the best thing, but it was indeed a massive improvement that in my opinion should already have happened with Legend.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 22:37   #2636
ThirteenCroft

Yeah it really should have happened at least in the LAU Trilogy.
ThirteenCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 09:49   #2637
Blackmoor

I prefer manual aiming over the automatic shooting too. But I'm not sure it's an unpopular opinion... maybe in some quarters but generally I think most consider it a positive thing.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 10:34   #2638
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Reboot has no magnetised jumps (contrary to popular belief) and offers more open areas for exploration.
I have to say it's not as noticeable as in LAU (especially Underworld). However, there are times when Lara still randomly gravitates to ledges, as well as the infamous LAU issue of Lara randomly just refusing to grab stuff because the game randomly decides she's not going to.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; 03-04-20 at 10:35.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 23:30   #2639
_Seth

I hate the length of the TR4/5 braid.

I hate Anniversary's braid because of that ugly weird texture at the top end of the braid.

The AoD and early Legend braids were the best because of the length and using two hairbands.

Lara's hair will always be an important subject.
Old 04-04-20, 06:33   #2640
Blackmoor

I'm not into the braid at all, I mean if it never came back I would be perfectly happy, but I prefer the TR4/5 one out of the lot.

It has a life of its own. Presence.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote