Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-03-23, 13:08   #1061
Quebsenuef

AOD with a Legend engine would’ve been terrible.
AOD is far superior in the sense of giving Lara the freedom to climb and go almost anywhere. If it’s a flat edge, she can grab it. Legend was the beginning of white ledges that are tailored for Lara to climb and for the player to get from point A to point B without getting lost.

Imagine Tomb of Ancients or the Louvre with these ugly white ledges.

The only thing I think Legend did better was gunplay, but that’s only because AOD gunplay was unfinished. We know CORE could’ve done it correctly since we had 5 other games from them where they did it just fine.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-23, 13:25   #1062
Vaskito

You do realize the engine and the existence of white ledges has no co relation, right? You realize the world in Legend was built like that because they wanted to, right?

And I’ll take LAUs platforming system over the atrocity AoD was any time of the day. I’d rather have automatic grab (which is not due to the engine. It was added to be like that), than a 10 year old manual system, with outdated controls and pestered with a strength system

Last edited by Vaskito; 21-03-23 at 13:28.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-23, 13:32   #1063
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
You do realize the engine and the existence of white ledges has no co relation, right? You realize the world in Legend was built like that because they wanted to, right?

And I’ll take LAUs platforming system over the atrocity AoD was any time of the day. I’d rather have automatic grab (which is not due to the engine. It was added to be like that), than a 10 year old manual system, with outdated controls and pestered with a strength system
Agree to disagree then. Legend didn’t make a lot of TR fans happy when it first came out for many reasons. AOD definitely would’ve flopped harder with the poor Legend engine. Legend is good for an afternoon of gaming since it’s so short. It would’ve have kept any attention of players or fans for as long as AOD was.
Old 21-03-23, 13:32   #1064
Flame_Knights

Honestly, if the engine were to be replaced, I wish they used unreal instead of CD's.
Flame_Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-23, 13:37   #1065
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Knights View Post
Honestly, if the engine were to be replaced, I wish they used unreal instead of CD's.
That’s an interesting concept.
Was unreal engine around at the time of AOD development? I honestly have no idea of the history
Old 21-03-23, 13:40   #1066
Chamayoo

I suspect their new engine on Unreal would basically be... somehow a clone of their previous own engine. Especially if they'll keep their usual gameplay design and mechanics and I believe so in majority.
I may be wrong, but with a new engine, it means a different and easy way to create their game, but in the end the product could be the same if their philosophy is still there today.
The best it can do I guess, is to have a more polished and stable game.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-23, 13:41   #1067
Flame_Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Was unreal engine around at the time of AOD development? I honestly have no idea of the history
I just said it casually.
Flame_Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-23, 13:43   #1068
Chamayoo

Quote:
Yeah it was Unreal Engine 1 at the time, you had games like the first Harry Potter game on PC for instance, released in 2001.
Old 21-03-23, 13:46   #1069
Vaskito

Quote:
Agree to disagree then. Legend didn’t make a lot of TR fans happy when it first came out for many reasons. AOD definitely would’ve flopped harder with the poor Legend engine. Legend is good for an afternoon of gaming since it’s so short. It would’ve have kept any attention of players or fans for as long as AOD was.
You literally have no clue about how an engine works.

Firstly, it doesn't mean AOD would be made with Legend's move sets, and overall gameplay philosophy-..
Secondly, even IF AoD had made with Legend's moveset, (as in, not related to the engine being used, but the moveset developed into it), if you think the original AOD moveset would win over the Legend moveset with the general playerbase, you're pretty delusional. It was one of Legend's most praised highlights

Last edited by Vaskito; 21-03-23 at 13:51.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-23, 13:47   #1070
Chamayoo

Quote:
Legend engine wasn't even created at the time (for obvious reasons) but if Core is still in charge on the concept, mechanics and design, and Crystal based their custom engine on this, this would have been a different beast than Legend.