www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 17-01-20, 09:09   #111
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
The entire reason that Lara is on this quest is retconned in the very first (chronologically) cutscene: at the end of Legend it was 'my father was right, and there is still time to do something about it' meaning: her mother is alive and there's time to get her back. And then at the start of Underworld it is: 'nah, I'm sure she's dead, I only want to know what happened'. Not only do I hate retcons with a passion, but it is a far less necessary and heroic goal to find out what happened than to actually save someone. I'm never gonna risk my life dozens of times if that was necessary to find out what happens in the final season of the Big Bang Theory.

And then when she does find out it is nothing but 'she got her and died... the end.' Gods, do I hate this incompetent story...
It's not the same risking your life to know what happened to your mother that vanished in front of you because of your ex friend than finding out a show season finale.
Old 17-01-20, 09:33   #112
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
It's not the same risking your life to know what happened to your mother that vanished in front of you because of your ex friend than finding out a show season finale.
Granted it's an exaggeration, but my point stands.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 16:37   #113
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

I always got the feeling that Lara was lying to Zip and Alistair about her true intentions, so that they wouldn't question her.
Old 23-01-20, 16:40   #114
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
I always got the feeling that Lara was lying to Zip and Alistair about her true intentions, so that they wouldn't question her.
What was her true intentions? Care to elaborate?
I thought about this too, tbh
Old 23-01-20, 17:09   #115
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
I find this hilarious somehow. This reminds me of the crazy croft youtube series
Old 23-01-20, 17:09   #116
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

I felt like Lara deep down had a naiive belief that her mother was still alive, but she knew this was not likely. Perhaps she realised this after the events of TRL and thats when she started telling herself that her mother couldn't be alive, and telling Zip and Alistair thats how she felt (you can see some sadness in her face in the opening cutscene of TRU when Alistair questions the sanity of what she's doing).

So, I feel like by TRU, Lara could not bury the past without exploring the possibilities of what had happened- she knew that her mother was most likely dead, but her ulterior motive was still to find her for closure- hopefully alive.
Old 23-01-20, 17:16   #117
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
I felt like Lara deep down had a naiive belief that her mother was still alive, but she knew this was not likely. Perhaps she realised this after the events of TRL and thats when she started telling herself that her mother couldn't be alive, and telling Zip and Alistair thats how she felt (you can see some sadness in her face in the opening cutscene of TRU when Alistair questions the sanity of what she's doing).

So, I feel like by TRU, Lara could not bury the past without exploring the possibilities of what had happened- she knew that her mother was most likely dead, but her ulterior motive was still to find her for closure- hopefully alive.
I honestly love this narrative. I think Lara always had that belief until she saw Amelia, even if at the same time her mind was telling her that it was impossible. After all, if Natla and Amanda could 'come back' from the dead, why not her mother? At the end Lara had enough power to face reality and shoot; she finished her mother's torment and also her own and her father's research. It's a shame the last scenes looked so rushed.
Old 23-01-20, 23:21   #118
tempo
Hobbyist

Thanks @Maverin!

Quote:

So, I feel like by TRU, Lara could not bury the past without exploring the ossibilities of what had happened- she knew that her mother was most likely dead, but her ulterior motive was still to find her for closure- hopefully alive.
But in Legend Lara was doubting her father believing Amelia did not die and in the final cutscene she concludes Richard was right after all and she did not die as she previously thought so. 'Finding her closure' is not really an ulterior motive; it is in line with what she said in the cutscene you referred to: "I only want the truth, whatever it maybe."
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 03:53   #119
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Lara had no idea what Avalon was like at the end of Legend. It is entirely possible that her mother was still alive. However, Lara herself does know that the chance of Amelia being alive for 15ish years in a Norse underworld is pretty much nothing.
Old 27-01-20, 11:36   #120
tempo
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
Lara had no idea what Avalon was like at the end of Legend.
Are you sure? lol Amanda explains that the Arthurian legend is true and states that Amelia did not die, but went to Avalon. She kinda took her word for it. Also Lara knew about the Arthur stuff preceding Legend. Possibly discussed this with he father as well. So she *had an idea* what Avalon was like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
However, Lara herself does know that the chance of Amelia being alive for 15ish years in a Norse underworld is pretty much nothing.
At what point is that implied or stated? She was searching for her to find out what happened to her because she did not know. She had doubts and was hopeful. She was never like "Ah it's the NORSE UNDERWORLD, nvm she ded then." Amelia could have survived it, but was unlucky enough to not be able to activate the dais. Also, it was rather 20ish years.
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote