www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 15-02-20, 14:07   #31
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I agree, it wasn't and is not a great TR game and the fact is CD only made one other entirely new TR game in their reboot#1 series (Underworld). Anniversary is the significant game IMHO.

I enjoyed Anniversary a lot, in parts. Even though Underworld was not brilliant I enjoyed it far more than Legend as I thought there were strong indications they had learned from doing Anniversary the difference between a TR game and a generic third person shooter.

So if any game can be said to have saved TR from that reboot#1 era I think Anniversary is the more deserving of the kudos. But that 'save' was clearly not successful enough. Those three games might have kept the interest going but if any of them had 'saved' TR why would they have had to do reboot#2? If that had not happened we'd be calling those three games the last nails in the coffin.

Reboot#2 came after a long hiatus (2008 - 2013) during which many people actually did think TR might have come to its end.

Mention must be made here about the excellent Guardian Of Light which whilst not a core game and very different gameplay deserves some credit too keeping the TR franchise ticking over. It proved there was life left in the TR franchise.

Last edited by fallenangle; 15-02-20 at 14:21.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 18:56   #32
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Legend obviously saved the series. The franchise was in decline since the Last Revelation. I'd go as far as to say even TLR was not as big of a success as it was meant to be. Last Revelation was highly hyped as a breath of new air in the series, yet in the end it turned out to be just more of the same, just with some new features. Even the reviewers were disappointed by how it still used the blocky 1996 engine, just updated.
As much as I love Chronicles, I think we can all agree that it was a quick cashgrab, uninspired and brought literally nothing new to the series. It was short, the engine was horribly aged by then and the features introduced in TLR were never fully utilised again.
Then we got aggresively advertised TRAOD which was an unquestionable failure so I won't even elaborate on that.
By then the franchise was not only milked to death, but it also featured one mediocre and one disastrous title; with one being released directly after another. At the same time the second TR movie was released and it was just as bad.

TR Legend was not a perfect game by any means, but it featured everything that was needed at the time. The action-adventure genre had changed dramatically since TR4 and hardcore games with stiff controls were not a thing anymore. Everything became more casual, action-packed, dynamic and cinematic. Legend introduced all of that and more. CrystalD were clearly inspired by highly acclaimed Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and so borrowed a lot from it, especially controls and climbing system.
Honestly TRL was the best that happened to the franchise after TRAOD nearly destroyed it. It returned to the roots of the series while at the same time changing the gameplay entirely. After 5 games with exactly the same gameplay and 1 questionable game they finally brought a breath of fresh air to the stale and dying series.

That being said Underworld once again brought the franchise to its worst state and it was then when franchise had to be rebooted.

Last edited by Caesum; 15-02-20 at 18:58.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 20:39   #33
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

I think Legend was a successfull first step into saving the """classic""" franchise.
What killed it imo, is that they forced a TR1 remake right after that (no one cared about it besides us fans) and then rush Underworld on the next gen.

They should have scrapped the remake when they said no to Core Design and focusing on Underworld giving it 2/3 years of full development.

Anniversary messed up the trilogy imo. They shouldn't have done it or at least later or from another studio and not part of the trilogy. I honestly was rooting for Avalon after Legend and all we got was crap two times.

And that stupid "realistic" thing in Underworld. She has a magic sword AND saw Atlantis but she's all like "oh I know, Avalon is not a real place blah blah blah"... this is so frustrating honestly

But on topic yeah Legend was really that good, and it felt even more good right after the AOD mess. Legend wasn't incredible but it fixed what needed to be fixed and bringed things that needed to be there a long time ago so it really felt refreshing and awesome to play. I honestly played it non stop for months after it came out and I still play it from time to time. I know it by heart but it still a great pleasure and enjoyment.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 20:50   #34
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
And that stupid "realistic" thing in Underworld. She has a magic sword AND saw Atlantis but she's all like "oh I know, Avalon is not a real place blah blah blah"... this is so frustrating honestly
Did she ever say that Avalon didn't exist? Wasn't she just skeptical and wanting to find the truth whatever it was? I think that's what she said to Zip&Ali in the boat in the Med Sea.

When Amanda told that Amelia was in Avalon, Lara just snapped her and then contacted Zip, I don't remember any ounce of doubt in Lara.
Old 16-02-20, 00:07   #35
tempo
Hobbyist

I really enjoyed Legend. It has great replayability and was fun overall. However things established in Legend was undermined by Anniversary and Underworld. Even if Legend 'saved' the series, Underworld kinda killed it again. The lack of forward thought is kinda interesting, since it was an attempt to restore the franchise as the annual cashcow. Nonetheless, the TR money was never bad enough to scrap the IP. And now we have the 2013 reboot thing, so not much was saved in the end unfortunately.
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 11:24   #36
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Legend obviously saved the series. The franchise was in decline since the Last Revelation. I'd go as far as to say even TLR was not as big of a success as it was meant to be. Last Revelation was highly hyped as a breath of new air in the series, yet in the end it turned out to be just more of the same, just with some new features. Even the reviewers were disappointed by how it still used the blocky 1996 engine, just updated.
As much as I love Chronicles, I think we can all agree that it was a quick cashgrab, uninspired and brought literally nothing new to the series. It was short, the engine was horribly aged by then and the features introduced in TLR were never fully utilised again.
Then we got aggresively advertised TRAOD which was an unquestionable failure so I won't even elaborate on that.
By then the franchise was not only milked to death, but it also featured one mediocre and one disastrous title; with one being released directly after another. At the same time the second TR movie was released and it was just as bad.

TR Legend was not a perfect game by any means, but it featured everything that was needed at the time. The action-adventure genre had changed dramatically since TR4 and hardcore games with stiff controls were not a thing anymore. Everything became more casual, action-packed, dynamic and cinematic. Legend introduced all of that and more. CrystalD were clearly inspired by highly acclaimed Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and so borrowed a lot from it, especially controls and climbing system.
Honestly TRL was the best that happened to the franchise after TRAOD nearly destroyed it. It returned to the roots of the series while at the same time changing the gameplay entirely. After 5 games with exactly the same gameplay and 1 questionable game they finally brought a breath of fresh air to the stale and dying series.

That being said Underworld once again brought the franchise to its worst state and it was then when franchise had to be rebooted.
Very good post. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 17-02-20, 00:37   #37
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
You know whats funny. I loved Legend as a kid, and thought everyone else loves it too because it was so well reviewed and fun to play, and then I joined this forum in 2006 and saw all the mean comments about it and praise for AOD I was like

Seeing positive stuff about Legend these days makes me happy.
I so remember this. Hate for Legend was STRONG in '06. So many upset and angry fans. Huh, I guess some things never change within the fandom. No shade, only joking.

I was hmmm, 12 years old when Legend came out? Still super impressionable and I can remember going along with the diehard Core fans who said Legend was crap. I read their posts and thought, yeah, Legend does suck! But privately I loved it and still do. It isn't perfect, but it's very fun. I wish the levels were a bit longer and a bit more challenging. But coming off the heels of the very dark AOD, Legend was lighthearted and fresh.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 06:21   #38
ANoDE
Golden

When Legend came out I was really hyped.
After the disappointment of a rushed and inherently unplayable AoD (back then, mind you), Legend felt like a saviour to the series. Lara's acrobatics and generally fun attitude were refreshing and the storyline was _somewhat_ engaging. It missed the mark with a lot of things that should have been in a Tomb Raider game - like manual grab and non-sticky ledges, exploration and the amount of human enemies. It still could identify as a Tomb Raider game, though and it was really fun to play - for the few hours it lasted. I had hoped for improved and more grand continuations, but unfortunately they never came.

All in all, Legend was a direly needed, refreshing installment in the series that could have done better in some departments, though.
Old 19-02-20, 21:19   #39
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

I've always felt that Legend was more of a mix with TR movie adaptation and classic TR rather than straight continuation, or reboot.

There are many things that i disliked from day one about Legend.

But there is soooo much that i love about it.

The style, some gameplay elements were the ones that i've always wanted to see in classic TR's.

New moves [Slide and acrobatics that Core Lara wouldn't be ashamed of]
Rope swinging mechanics are the best in the whole TR series [Change my mind ]

I especially love the graphics, the color palette, [NEPAL is a masterpiece]
Soundtrack is very grand, yet it captures Tomb Raider spirit, but more in a cinematic hollywood-esque way.

Out of Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider era, Legend is my favourite game.

I was so angry when they wasted time on Anniversary, and not even half-baked Underworld.

I enjoyed those two games as much as i could.

But i always look at them as wasted opportunity.

Legend engine was enough modern, and enough classic at the same time.

I wish we had more regular TR games made with this engine. No reebots or remakes.

Action in Legend is fun, and i really like shoot outs with mercenaries, slow-motion moves, falling bridges, exploding walls.
Free-roam exploration, key collecting, no mid-level cutscenes, or camera flybys, more levels, a little bit different platforming design, and then it would be perfect, at least to me.

But all in all, i enjoyed Legend for what it was. I never had my hopes high, i knew it's gonna be a whole different TR expierience, right from the start.
Old 20-02-20, 10:28   #40
New Dwight
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Legend didn't save the Tomb Raider series.

Had they ended it there, it would have been rebooted into crap later on anyway. Inevitably.
what did then? reboot lara havent smiled that in a while!