www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 19-01-20, 16:58   #19661
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Neither TREP nor TRNG fully fix it, there can be issues with savegames and spawned objects. If you'll decide to use more than 256 objects anyway, generally I would recommend keeping all important moveables, such as enemies, doors, traps, keyholes, flame emitters among first 256 ones, then you can add animatings, pickups, nullmeshes such as lara start pos/waterfalls/etc. In this case you'll have less chances to run into any problems.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 17:12   #19662
Kevin
Explorer

Obviously I can only speak from my experience but I just checked my previous 3 levels. All of them had between 350 and 750 Moveables and I never had any issue. Apart from the flame disappearing from the torch when not in Lara's Hand but that is just a visual bug.

Having the important objects under the first 256 is a good tip, though.
Will keep that in mind.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 17:24   #19663
LaraCablara
Professor

The problem I have is that when I go above 256, if I throw the torch away, the flame attaches to Lara's butt and does not go away unless I hold the torch the entire time . It looks very ugly so I have no choice but to stick to below 256.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 17:41   #19664
Kevin
Explorer

It usually attaches itself to a specific object id. Delete Lara from your map and place her again later to get a different object ID for Lara. This way the flame will attach itself to a different object (with some trial and error you can make it attach to a moveable that is not visible to the player).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 18:04   #19665
LaraCablara
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It usually attaches itself to a specific object id. Delete Lara from your map and place her again later to get a different object ID for Lara. This way the flame will attach itself to a different object (with some trial and error you can make it attach to a moveable that is not visible to the player).
I sure wish I knew this before I went on a redesign spree
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 21:28   #19666
Songe
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkyV View Post
With flipeffect "Sound (CD)" triggers to play simply choose "loop" in the trigger parameters.
Using old CD trigger in TRNG - you can't.
Thank you! There was an old dll in the TRNG folder that needed to be updated, but now I think I got it right.
Old 22-01-20, 03:36   #19667
SebCroc
Historian

Does the engine do some kind of coarse unit-rounding when it comes to animations? I'm trying to fix a subtle issue: where Lara's feet/hands are supposed to be planted on a surface, they "jiggle" a tiny bit. This appeared to be a problem in the animations themselves, so I've been trying to fix it there.

I noticed that when I significantly reduced the jiggle to be practically indiscernible to the eye (in preview), in-game it was magnified to the point where it appeared as though nothing had been done. I was kind of on my way until I noticed this. Assumption: are the tiny movements straddling a unit-rounding edge? Is the reason behind this linked to why the camera wobbles during cutscenes?

Getting the feet perfectly stationary doesn't actually improve anything. Would I have to counter the root bone's movement (pelvis) with an impossible level of precision?
Old 22-01-20, 04:06   #19668
Lwmte
Archaeologist

The reason behind that is Core almost universally used integer arithmetics in TR4 engine, including bone rotations and translations. The jiggle you see is rounding errors. Unfortunately, there's no way to fix that.

Problem was fixed in TR5 engine by introducing floating-point values for rotation and translation, and subsequently it will be fixed as well in forthcoming TR5Main engine.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 04:40   #19669
SebCroc
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
subsequently it will be fixed as well in forthcoming TR5Main engine.
TR5Main, our saving grace. My adjustments won't be going to waste after all. I shall continue with confidence.

Interesting points, thank you for the explanation.
Old 23-01-20, 22:12   #19670
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist

Is underwater switch capable of timed triggers? Because I'm trying to add two timed trapdoors: I added their respective triggers along with the timed switch trigger, but I tested it and Lara can only activate the switch twice, no more after that.