www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 02-01-20, 16:44   #38931
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Remind me never to watch a movie right after finishing the book it's adapting.

On its own, it's a very fine flick, easily one of the best horror films of the year. In an immediate, direct comparison with the source material, however, it's maddening how many changes were made. Some were necessary and totally understandable, a few I actually even liked over the book version, but completely removing seriously important characters, fundementally changing key plot points in the process, and completely needlessly killing characters off that were never meant to die? The extreme simplification of the mythology and rules on how the shining works is perhaps the worst offender.

It's a thankless job to try and merge a faithful adapation of the book with a faithful followup to Kubrick's masterpiece, and I wholeheartedly wish Flanagan could've leaned proper to either one or the other. As it stands it's basically 2 hours of sometimes pitch perfect, but more often than not flimsy retelling of the book, only for the final half hour to suddenly turn into The Shining 2.

It sucks I can't really imagine what I'd think of the movie had I not read the book prior. What I do know for an absolute fact, however, is that a 10 episode miniseries would've been a dramatically better fit for this story than a single movie, even if it's a 150 minutes long one.

Last edited by jarekhanzelka; 02-01-20 at 16:47.
jarekhanzelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 18:08   #38932
Amunet
Archaeologist

Annabelle Comes Home - Not as good as The Conjuring but still a good addition to its universe. Needed more Ed and Lorraine Warren.

and

Dora and the Lost City of Gold - Not gonna lie, I thought this was ridiculously fun. Silly and cheesy as expected from an adaptation of a kids show, but also very imaginative and charming. Perfect casting with Dora, she was a ray of sunshine.
Old 02-01-20, 21:27   #38933
Legends
Tomb Raider

Mr. Robot season 4.

Even though this season was still good, I liked the previous three seasons more. The ending was so intentionally confusing that went on for too long and the last two episodes were kind of disappointing as a result.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 03:42   #38934
Zebra
Legend

Dracula (2020) - Loved the first two episodes but the last one just seemed rushed. Felt like they should've stretched it out over two episodes rather than cramming it into one. All in all a very entertaining four and a half hours, though.
Old 08-01-20, 00:14   #38935
Legends
Tomb Raider

The Mandalorian. The first three episodes were pretty good. The rest was pretty bad.

The episode where they were at the prison was absolutely atrocious.
Old 09-01-20, 17:48   #38936
Nemo_91
Tomb Raider

The Witcher Season 1

It's not perfect, but I liked it. The casting is spot on though, the performances are great.
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 17:15   #38937
Rai

The Good Place S4, Ep10.. This episode was....okay. That's it, it wasn't bad, but it didn't do much beyond just doing it's thing. The best scene was probably a short scene between Michael and Shawn. I hope the rest of the season picks up pace a bit.
Old 11-01-20, 11:36   #38938
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

I just watched the first episode of Killing Eve and I'm very interested in the "cat and mouse" plot. It's a clever show with very talented actors.
Old 11-01-20, 13:23   #38939
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
I just watched the first episode of Killing Eve and I'm very interested in the "cat and mouse" plot. It's a clever show with very talented actors.
Season 1 was really good, season 2 not so much due to a change in writers I love Villanelle it's not often you see an assassin with a sense of humour when you get to season 2 watch for the scene with Villanelle in a museum I won't spoil it but it's very funny.

Hopefully season 3 will be an improvement over the second season.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 14:34   #38940
Legends
Tomb Raider

The Boys.

It was surprisingly good. I'm not the biggest superhero fan, but this TV show made evil superheroes fun to watch. I would recommend it.