www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 27-03-20, 10:00   #1
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Talking TR2 Custom Levels on the Playstation!

Good evening to all from the most unsociable of distances!

I've been having a ball with https://b122251.org/'s TR2 PC>PSX Level converter. Some call me crazy but I think many more understand that aesthetic of tearing walls and missing skyboxes that the PS1 provided for early Tomb Raider gamers.

This is one of my favourite custom level series of all time - The Hidden Dagger - Feder 5 very nice TR2 themed levels. Converting custom levels to playstation are hit and miss due to the limitations between platforms (some levels just have..too many things!) but I've so far managed to convert this series as a whole with no problems thus far.

The only sad thing about this is I don't have a modded PS1 handy to actually burn a disk and try old clunky! Emulator it is for now.

Old 27-03-20, 15:54   #2
b122251
Explorer

I find it really cool that you're playing around with my converter.
Have you considered setting the sky colour to blue for this level? The black looks a bit off combined with the blue sky-box.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-20, 21:42   #3
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

I didnt consider touching the levels with trviewer or fexmerger - they tend to do more harm than good even just the skybox colour.

Still one of the least buggiest TR2 PC series I've ever played overall - wanted to keep that trend.
Old 27-03-20, 21:46   #4
b122251
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
I didnt consider touching the levels with trviewer or fexmerger - they tend to do more harm than good even just the skybox colour.
The sky colour on the PS1 is not set in the skybox object. You pass it as a parameter to tr2pcpsx. "-cs=[RGB value]". The same way you can set the colour for the water "-cw=[RGB value]".
Old 27-03-20, 21:54   #5
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

!! I'm officially an idiot. I scrolled past those settings but completely left my mind while I was converting. Thanks!

Just a note - ive added the snowmobile or boat (plus necessary extras) to ASSAULT.TR2 for example and replaced IDs as needed. After the tr2pcpsx convert however - idle/moving/looping sounds for those vehicles havent carried across seemingly. The sounds of her climbing in and out are there, hitting walls etc but nothing else
Old 27-03-20, 22:26   #6
b122251
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Just a note - ive added the snowmobile or boat (plus necessary extras) to ASSAULT.TR2 for example and replaced IDs as needed. After the tr2pcpsx convert however - idle/moving/looping sounds for those vehicles havent carried across seemingly. The sounds of her climbing in and out are there, hitting walls etc but nothing else
So sound samples on the PC version are stored in MAIN.SFX, but on the PS1 they are stored in the level file itself. Since there isn't even remotely enough room in the PS1's memory to add all the samples from MAIN.SFX, tr2pcpsx only adds those samples that are used in the level. It determines which samples are used in the level by looking at the SampleIndices. When adding the vehicles, did you add the appropriate SampleIndices?