www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 28-01-20, 13:23   #6141
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I remember the guys that were responsible for the first 4 games storylines were burned out on Silent Hill which is why in the next games the story didn't go that consistent.(The story writer of 2 went on making some mobile games.)

https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Team_Silent

Just looking at the list you can kinda feel that some of them never really liked to work on SH that much after few games.
Even the director of the first game just left Team Silent after SH 1.
Well it's Konami. God only knows what the working conditions were. Also, Toyama went on to make the Siren series, which is very similar to SH, so I don't think he disliked it.

That said, there was going to be another SH game, but it was unfortunately cancelled by Konami (of course):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/let...-konami.61131/

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 28-01-20 at 13:52.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 13:37   #6142
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Well it's Konami. God only knows what the working conditions were.

That said, there was going to be another SH game, but it was unfortunately cancelled by Konami (of course):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/let...-konami.61131/
It was cancelled because SH 4 was received as bad as SH Downpour by the fans the time that it was released. It even managed to be the least successful SH of the time.

On the other hand Origins was received better and was more successful than 4 which is why they took that direction of giving SH to outside developers.(After all Origins was a low budget game on PSP.)

Anyway. Team Silent wasn't that talented in making horror games with good gameplay. That is why after 4 they were disbanded.(A game where they tried to innovate the gameplay but failed horribly in comparison to RE 4.)

Edit: Also Resetera is just a place of hatred. That place is a joke outside of keeping up with gaming news.(Majority of guys there called Star Wars JFO a bad game based on the first trailer because it had a "Generic white protagonist".)

Last edited by dg1995; 28-01-20 at 13:39.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 13:52   #6143
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I just used resetera because it's the source I have and they resumed well Team Silent's 5th game's story. I personally didn't think RE4 was successful in refreshing the gameplay, since it was too different. Change instead of evolution. I don't think it's okay to take out a game from its developer after one error, they would probably have fixed their mistakes in SH5. I also don't believe SH4's 'failure' is the reason why Konami took SH from Team Silent and gave it to western devs. It's one in a long line of bad decisions they've been taking for a long time now.
Old 28-01-20, 14:23   #6144
rewak
Professor

"Team Silent" in itself didn't exist consistently. People came and went with each game and the roles were chopped and changed all the time. Konami didn't take anything from them, there wasn't a team to take it from anymore. Most of them left to join other teams, notably the Kojima Productions team. It wasn't down to any one games reception or sales figures.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 14:25   #6145
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I just used resetera because it's the source I have and they resumed well Team Silent's 5th game's story. I personally didn't think RE4 was successful in refreshing the gameplay, since it was too different. Change instead of evolution.
RE 4 actually evolved the gameplay of RE. Yeah, it had less focus on horror but the gameplay was a step up from previous RE games.

1.Bigger environments and no loading screen when opening doors in the same area.

2.Behind the Shoulder camera

3.Ability to actually aim your weapons carefully unlike just aiming at the direction of enemies or just allowing the auto aim to do it's work.

4.Ability to move over obstacles which wasn't present in previous RE games.

5.Actually having to reload your gun in real time than doing it in the menu.

6.More number of enemies attacking you at the same time. And more intelligent. Enemies can also follow you in the same area while in previous RE games they never went out of one room rather than special ones.

7.A quick knife button rather than going into menu and equipping it and after that going again to the menu to unequip it.

8.Grenades that weren't in previous RE games from what I remember. Also rifles.

9.A NPC that you can actually give commands to. In previous RE games you couldn't give commands to a NPC that is with you.(Maybe RE 0 only had that)

10.QTEs that allowed you to dodge some moves that were hard to dodge with tank controls.

11.Some new gameplay ideas like a merchant , Getting money from killing enemies and spending it on getting better weapons that all of them were executed decently into the gameplay.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 14:58   #6146
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
RE 4 actually evolved the gameplay of RE. Yeah, it had less focus on horror but the gameplay was a step up from previous RE games.
I have a different point of view.
Quote:
1.Bigger environments and no loading screen when opening doors in the same area.
Okay, that is a technical evolution. I was speaking of gameplay. The areas might be bigger, but are totally linear with no items to find and no backtracking, so it's just different.
Quote:
2.Behind the Shoulder camera
Again, just a difference. An evolution would be what RECV did with a dynamic camera which was an evolution of fixed cameras. OTS is just a change.
Quote:
3.Ability to actually aim your weapons carefully unlike just aiming at the direction of enemies or just allowing the auto aim to do it's work.
Okay, that is an evolution, since aiming was there before and it's improved now.
Quote:
4.Ability to move over obstacles which wasn't present in previous RE games.
Untrue. You could climb boxes.
Quote:
5.Actually having to reload your gun in real time than doing it in the menu.
An improvement. A minor one that should have been done before.
Quote:
6.More number of enemies attacking you at the same time. And more intelligent. Enemies can also follow you in the same area while in previous RE games they never went out of one room rather than special ones.
Technical evolution but on the gameplay standpoint is just different. Too different, actually.
Quote:
7.A quick knife button rather than going into menu and equipping it and after that going again to the menu to unequip it.
Small evolution that should have been done before.
Quote:
8.Grenades that weren't in previous RE games from what I remember. Also rifles.
That can't even be considered a change, every RE has its own weapons arsenal. That is different is expected, since it's a different RE game.
Quote:
9.A NPC that you can actually give commands to. In previous RE games you couldn't give commands to a NPC that is with you.(Maybe RE 0 only had that)
Okay, that I agree.
Quote:
10.QTEs that allowed you to dodge some moves that were hard to dodge with tank controls.
That's not what the QTEs are/do.
Quote:
11.Some new gameplay ideas like a merchant , Getting money from killing enemies and spending it on getting better weapons that all of them were executed decently into the gameplay.
New gameplay ideas can't be an evolution since nothing was there before to be evolved, since they're new. These ideas are also too far removed from what RE was and aren't befitting of the franchise.

The controls of RE4 are definitely better than those of older REs, but they're also a change and not an evolution. And the gameplay itself, also, is just different and not evolved. But this is SH's thread , so this is veering too far off-topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
"Team Silent" in itself didn't exist consistently. People came and went with each game and the roles were chopped and changed all the time. Konami didn't take anything from them, there wasn't a team to take it from anymore. Most of them left to join other teams, notably the Kojima Productions team. It wasn't down to any one games reception or sales figures.
I disagree. I forgot what the marketing term is (and wouldn't know it in english anyways), but there is a term akin to "working environment", which all companies have, and I imagine softhouses also have. A way of working that remains even though the people within change. How they approach work, their "way of doing things". And so even though teams changed, Team Silent had a unique way of doing things that was passed down like a torch and can easily be seen in all 4 SH games, their style. To add to that, not all members are different.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 28-01-20 at 16:33.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 18:59   #6147
rewak
Professor

That's not what people mean when they say they want Team Silent back though. They want Keiichiro, Masashi, Masahiro, Sato and Akira back. People say SH4 isn't a real SH game because most of these people weren't involved! Actually SH4 is the prime example of SH fans starting to bury the franchise. It tried to do something different, people hated that. Then everything that came after it was copying the previous games, people hated that. People hated Downpour and BoM because they turned on Tom Hewlett after HD Collection, even though both of those games tried to do something new. SH fans want something exactly the same but completely different, and no matter what Konami does in the future the fans will loudly hate on it. That's why I'm fine with the series being dead.
Old 28-01-20, 19:28   #6148
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Well, I'm not like those fans. I wanted Team Silent to continue and if it's not them, I'd rather have a japanese dev team and if it's not possible, then at least I hope it's a good western studio capable of doing the series justice. And I don't think it's fair to say SH fans want it different and equal at the same time, it's what every fan wants: fresh but still part of the franchise. I wouldn't say SH4 was "too different", but it was close. Downpour I think was too different from what SH should be while also being too similar (story-wise) to SH2.
Old 28-01-20, 20:27   #6149
rewak
Professor

It is fair, when SH2 was revealed fans complained that it wasn't a direct sequel then complained it was too similar in gameplay to the original, and initial sales actually suffered for it. That's why SH3 was made a direct sequel and because of the complaints that the gameplay was too similar they originally planned SH3 as a rail shooter, which spun out into Silent Hill Arcade. It's been going on since the start of this franchise, it's exhausting. If everyone would just stop comparing each game to the others and took this series for what it is, an anthology with a shared central idea, then maybe things would be different. As it is no matter what Konami do all we'll hear are people comparing it to PT and saying how much better that was.
Old 29-01-20, 00:36   #6150
KManX89
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
What does everything think of the rumors of 2 new SH games coming soon?
I hope its true.. and I also hope Konami get a decent developer this time around.

Hell, give it back to the Japanese - P.T was awesome.
They just get horror spot on IMO.. a lot of western devs kind of go for cheesy cliche heavy storylines
I wish I could get excited, but knowing Konami's track record with beloved IPs as of late: Super Bomberman R, Metal Gear Survive and Contra: Rogue Corps, Castlevania mobile game, it's hard for me to get excited.
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote