www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Fan Artwork, Pictures, Movies and Writings

Old 27-04-16, 08:53   #11
indigo15
Historian

I'm a big history and archaeology buff, so I love this idea! I can't wait to see the finished product!
indigo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-16, 11:50   #12
Sanglyph
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo15 View Post
I'm a big history and archaeology buff, so I love this idea! I can't wait to see the finished product!
Thank you! That's great to hear! I was hoping for a few history lovers to be lurking around here.

Also @Zebra, I'm currently busy editing the parts that require maps, does your offer still stand? I'd need three animated ones for the Peru, Greece and Egypt sections since I'm going to assess each of the locations quite a bit. I have no idea how to create an animated map so I was just going to use a regular satellite image and zoom into the respective areas which isn't exactly fancy to look at but it would get the job done.
Old 28-04-16, 23:17   #13
Hiroyuki
Explorer

This is certainly an interesting project. It looks like you haven't covered TR2 so far, so I will mention a few things I have found out.

Firstly, for pictures of the backwaters of Venice that are like the decaying dead-end bits of canal in TR2, take a look at this website http://www.bellereti.com/jzimm/Venice/Canal.html

Secondly, I spent some time researching the Great Wall level and came to some conclusions.

Usually people presume that the story of a dragon emperor must be about the first emperer of China in 221 BCE. But in the game we see the dragon was defeated by Tibetan Buddist monks: yet there were no Buddhist monks in Tibet until 700 CE (900 years later)!

One possible historical alternative is a Tibetan emperor called Langdarma who opposed Buddhism and whose domain included part of China around 840 CE. He was assassinated by a Buddhist monk, which resulted in the fall of the Tibetan Empire.

Possibilities for orders of warrior monks generally include the Sohei who appeared in 949 CE during the Heian era, or if we are willing to accept monks who predate Tibetan buddhism, there is the famous Shaolin Monastery (477 CE) where Kung Fu was invented.

As for how the Great Wall appears in the game, a wall of that style with watchtowers containing guard rooms would probably be from the Ming Dynasty (and built from brick not stone), built some time between 1368 and 1644. This is obviously much newer than the mythical dagger of Xian events no matter when they took place. A problem here too is that most of the Ming dynasty wall is in a different part of China to the older walls such as the one from 221 BCE. And as for the Tibetan monk connection, there is no Great Wall in Tibet or even on the Tibetan border!

However there are some great wall sections that are quite near to Tibet e.g. in Shaanxi Province, and some of them are disconnected fragments of Ming Dynasty wall which have been built over much older pieces of wall. This allows us the possibility of there being an entrance to a much older temple hidden under a Ming Dynasty wall. This is why when I wrote my China Girl fanfic about the Great Wall I set it in Shaanxi Province, whose capital city is happily called Xi'an!

Hwoever regarding the dagger of Xian, it seems most likely the name comes from a word meaning "immortality" rather than the place called Xian. However if we assumed the temple is in Shaanxi we can have it both ways!
Old 29-04-16, 06:11   #14
Sanglyph
Historian

This is fantastic research, thanks a bunch! :-)
I had quite a few questions about the historical circumstances TR2's plot is involved in but this just answered about all of them so I'll make sure to include your helpful information in the episode!
Old 29-04-16, 08:23   #15
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanglyph View Post
Also @Zebra, I'm currently busy editing the parts that require maps, does your offer still stand? I'd need three animated ones for the Peru, Greece and Egypt sections since I'm going to assess each of the locations quite a bit. I have no idea how to create an animated map so I was just going to use a regular satellite image and zoom into the respective areas which isn't exactly fancy to look at but it would get the job done.
I've sent you a PM .
Old 03-05-16, 14:08   #16
Sanglyph
Historian

Hey guys!

I have a couple general questions I'd love to hear your opinion on:

1) Would you mind if I used cutscenes and concept art from Anniversary for the Tomb Raider 1 episode? The two have very similiar art styles and obviously Anniversary featured a much more updated approach to all the locations in the game. Also, the quality of the 1080p cutscenes and the graphics are a lot more pleasant to look at than the pixelated and stretched FMVs from 1996.

2) Would you rather see mostly external image sources like maps, photos and texts or primarily ingame footage like cutscenes and gameplay in terms of the visual structure of the series?

3) Do you think an episode length of up to 40 minutes is too long? In the process of writing and editing the script for the TR1 episode I noticed that 15 minutes definitely weren't gonna cut it. However, if the first episode is already 40 minutes, longer games like TR4 might end up being one hour long, so I'm really torn about whether to shorten them down or not.
Old 03-05-16, 16:00   #17
Shakira Croft
Archaeologist

1) IMO it'sperfectly fine. As you said the HQ graphics of TRA are more pleasant

2) A mix between real life and ingame footage is the best option but I'd say mostly external images cause I think it'll be more understandable for the non-players.

3) 40 minutes is ok for huge fans because we love TR but I honestly think it's really too long for others people. I mean, I'm sure most of the people who will watch won't be concentrated for 40 minutes. IMO 30 minutes is a perfect lenght, isn't it?
Old 03-05-16, 21:25   #18
Sanglyph
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakira Croft View Post
2) A mix between real life and ingame footage is the best option but I'd say mostly external images cause I think it'll be more understandable for the non-players.

3) 40 minutes is ok for huge fans because we love TR but I honestly think it's really too long for others people. I mean, I'm sure most of the people who will watch won't be concentrated for 40 minutes. IMO 30 minutes is a perfect lenght, isn't it?
I was able to cut down the length to about 30 minutes for now. I agree that 40 minutes and more is kind of an overkill. I'll make sure to include plenty of footage outside the game then to make it more interesting. Thanks for the response!
Old 25-05-16, 14:03   #19
Sanglyph
Historian

Progress update:

So far I have finished the final script, recording ingame footage of Tomb Raider 1 and Anniversary, getting rights to music I am going to use and collecting all the historical sources I am using.

TRF user Zebra is going to make animated maps of Lara's journey and a couple other fans offered their help which is awesome! I even managed to convince one of my history professors to help out with questions I might have.

You can still send me photos or video footage you might have from vacations or anything that bear resemblance to places Lara has visited in the games, the more the merrier.

I'm also very excited and happy to announce that Shelley Blond is going to narrate the first episode!
Old 25-05-16, 21:41   #20
Hiroyuki
Explorer

Wow, amazing catch to get Shelley Blond to narrate it! (You do realise she's never actually played Tomb Raider though, right? So don't let her ad lib her lines!