www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Fan Artwork, Pictures, Movies and Writings

Old 29-06-18, 04:04   #31
Arakanga
Hobbyist

Default Reply to Lily.J

Hey, first of all, thank you for the feedback, it pointed out some things I thought could be perceived as problematic because everyone sees Lara in a different light. I believe I should clarify some of the things you mentioned:

The part with Carlos's status was not intended as sarcasm, but rather as assurance, that she did not simply leave him there without knowing. As for the former part, I guess that is up to how you perceive the character. As I interpret it, Lara never really saw the man as a teammate, but rather a hired help. And since she meets a lot of people, most of whom die (mostly by her hand, and merely for getting in her way), I simply saw this sarcastic way of commenting as her coping mechanism for not only seeing death very often, but for thoughtlessly causing it. Moreover, Lara in the classic TR games is understood by our team as ruthless in reaching her goals, an antihero of sorts. I can very much imagine her saddened by deaths of her friends or long-term allies, but not by a man she had met short while ago who is accompanying her only for money.

I'm not sure what you mean by vile attitude to the archaeology. There are numerous remarks on her fascination with local architecture and vegetation (mostly when she gets deeper into the Lost city). The only contempt she should display is for the initial traps, as the ones at the beginning are very easy to get through and she should have a lot of experience with tombs by then, so she can compare their complexity. Plus creatures trying to eat her, because that would annoy everyone

Still, I understand that Lara, as she did not talk much during classic games, can be interpreted in very different ways. I wanted to avoid the LAU Lara (who displays a lot of feelings and questions her moral choices) and show her as hardened and ruthless. That does not mean I see your portrayal as invalid, I simply perceive her differently and write according to that. Thank you again for your feedback, I will try to take your remarks into consideration when writing the following chapter
Old 29-06-18, 06:39   #32
Lily.J
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakanga
Lara in the classic TR games is understood by our team as ruthless in reaching her goals, an antihero of sorts.
Oh, if you're one of those people identifying her as an anti-heroine, then I can fully understand those attitudes that you attribute to her. ^^

Quote:
I can very much imagine her saddened by deaths of her friends or long-term allies, but not by a man she had met short while ago who is accompanying her only for money.
Ah ah, well ... What a jovial portrait. I must admit that I condense in the Lara of Core absolutely all versions of her person where she will have ventured into the 90s, 2000 on all support, including the comics from Top Cow, which is basically the Lara from Core but much more expanded, so that I always had a vision of Lara more complex and precise. I do not think that she's so drastic and harsh when it comes to innocent humans losses (hired or not under her guardianship) around her. I think that Lara (remember, a hard and ruthless aristocratic woman with her enemies, but polite and courteous with her teammates) would have been worthy of showing them respect for their efforts for her, and would have found those deaths "deplorable", "tragic", or simply "quite unfortunate" before continuing quietly her way. But if you focus only on the Lara of the games, I can understand this freedom, her interpretations can vary effectively very often.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by vile attitude to the archaeology. There are numerous remarks on her fascination with local architecture and vegetation
I do remember having read comments about her environment , but too few pronounced exclamations carried by wonder or passion, or so, my memory fails me.

Quote:
Thank you again for your feedback, I will try to take your remarks into consideration when writing the following chapter
Oh you are welcome ! It's very kind of you !
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-18, 08:19   #33
dishmush
Hobbyist

Hello Lily,

thank you for your insights, we appreciate it!

It is always difficult to please everyone, because we all see Lara differently. We had a lot of thinking to do of how to grasp this project. For example it would make more sense for Lara's diary to be written from her first expedition to the later ones. But that would mean we would have to write part of TR4, then jump to TR5, then TR1 and so forth. Which wouldn't make much sense. So we stick with one game being one diary book.

We also decided to have different "versions" of Lara, because in LAU she has a different backstory, she reacts differently, has a different personality. We didn't want to mix all her portrayals together and somehow blend them.

In TR1 we do not see many of her emotions. She doesn't even turn back when Carlos dies. I see what you mean, her remarks may sound too cruel (it didn't occur to me before you mentioned it). But even in Underworld when Alister dies, she doesn't stay and decides to go to Mexico immediately. This is not some cut in the game, where time passes between his death and her journey to Mexico. She decides to go there right after she finds out he is dead. I personally do not think this shows some compassionate or empathic Lara in regards of her comrades.

I personally thought of her as a hero for a long time, when I first started to play the games. But when I thought about it some more I saw her ruthlessly slays everyone in her way, destroy half the places she visits. It is not just baddies which I thought at first. There is also the cook in TR5 or the guards in TR3 prison. And in AoD she kills a lot of policemen as well, all of which a true hero would never do.

All in all we see your point of view, we appreciate the insights you gave us and we will try to take it into account when writing the next chapters ��
Old 29-06-18, 11:00   #34
Lily.J
Historian

You see, these cold and often anti-hero moments that you quote are sometimes debated and contested by a very large majority of fans ... Some deal with it, or some others can not believe for a single second that Lara can suddenly act without the least moral codes. I am one of those who consider that Lara can be both pure and selfish. But her egoism is moderate. These dubious and immoral interactions that Core offers us have always been thoughtless interactive notions or simple clumsiness of writing in my eyes ... ^^

As for Tomb Raider 1, I personally see her as one of the nicest versions of Lara Croft to date ... She is a polite woman, who points her enemies in a polite way to have answers before leave them alone. We are very far from the following episodes of Core ... Many other people will be able to support my vision, like here for example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Leslie
I don't mean that TR1 Lara is the best just because she was first or because I'm nostalgic for when I first played the game-- I think she really does have a better, more likable personality in the first one then she has later, and by a wide margin. TR1 Lara is almost a different character! Here's why:

--She was incredibly polite. Watch the cutscene with Larson at the end of ToQ and notice that she apologizes for interupting him in mid-sentence- and this is right after he tried to kill her. You could really see that the aristocratic background and training was a part of her background, it wasn't just a random factoid from her bio.

--She was incredibly calm. Not that Lara was running around screaming in the later games or anything, but she seemed to be the calmest in TR1. She's as polite to Natla in Atlantis as she was to Larson earlier, even though she knows full well that she's probably going to have to kill or be killed; she knows and she is not afraid. This is a person who had looked death in the face, conquered her fear of it, and has nothing left to be afraid of. Ever.

--She didn't kill people unless they went far out of their way to attack her first (ex. Larson, Pierre, Natla, a few of Natla's goons). After Larson first attacks her, she just knocks him out when she could easily have killed him, and only kills him after his second attempt to kill her. There is some debate as to how much of the killing of certain characters in later TRs is justified (since they were her enemies after all), and I don't really want to get into that, but it was significant that there were very few human casualties in the original game. She didn't make any snappy quips after killing because while she would kill if she had to, it's not something she took any pleasure in. That's not what she was about. Nothing like the later Lara who smiles before shooting someone in the head.

--She didn't try to come up with one-liners. She took what she was doing very seriously and was too practical for self-congratulation. She was sarcastic, but also kind of terse; she didn't say more than she had to. She let the other characters talk and absorbed the information.

--She was totally absorbed in her mission. Watch the cutscene before St. Francis' Folley and see how she sits in the chair reading Pierre's notes looking absolutely enthralled. You can tell that she absolutely can't wait to find out all of the information so she can get out there. In later games the vibe seemed more like "Hi, I'm Lara, I raid tombs and find stuff because that's what I do." TR1 was the only game where it seemed to me like archeology was a passion for her, not just something she did to pass the time.

--She was obviously well-educated and literary. We see her read hieroglyphics in the Tomb of Tihocan, making her seem more like a real archeologist and not just an adventurer with a gun. Also, the first time we see her in the opening FMV, I believe she's actually reading. If there were any incidences of Lara reading (ancient script or otherwise) in the later games then I guess I missed them-- although I haven't completed LR and Chronicles yet, so it's possible that I'm wrong about this one.

I could go on, but I've gone on too long already^^;;. Obviously, I'd like it very much if Lara could return to her calmer, kinder, and above all classier original persona. It bothers me that the general impression of Lara that most people have is this hyper-aggressive gun-toting-babe, when in the original game she almost seemed to be deliberately designed to be the opposite of that. If anything, I think being polite and kind just drives home how competent and experienced she is; she doesn't need to show off or act tough to the other tomb raiders or anybody else. She's simply above them.

I guess the only thing left to say is, who else agrees? Do you think that Lara was very different in TR1, or that there was a more gradual shift? I thought the shift was already happening in TR2 when they introduced humans as regular cannon-fodder baddies.
Here, it was my little and not very necessary personal parenthesis.

Last edited by Lily.J; 29-06-18 at 11:24.
Old 29-06-18, 14:32   #35
Arakanga
Hobbyist

Default Reply to Lily.J

Of course, every fan has a different interpretation, that is why fandoms exist after all It is great that you see her this way. However, the same can be said for the ruthless Lara we see; she has many supporters and many people in our community (not only Czech, but even international) see her incarnations as separate and do not mix Lara with feelings from i. e. LAU trilogy with the classical one, they merely unite her personality from 1-6 because they perceive it as a whole. There are lots of analyses and every one is different. The best part is, no one can say they are correct and others are wrong, because that's just what these are, fan intepretations This is why I personally like fan projects so much, you can see how people understand the character. I would see artifical unification as harmful to creativity. And with a character as loosely portrayed as classic Lara, there ought to be very different versions of her
Old 29-06-18, 14:59   #36
Lily.J
Historian

I totally agree with you. ^^

I will always perceive Lara's identity as canon and official in the hands of her creator, Toby Gard ... Who offered a version of Lara very nice, noble and diplomatic. After his departure, I see the following Lara as a potential "interpretation" that would have been the Lara of Tomb Raider 1 in the sequels under the hand of Core, with a Vicky Arnold free of her own imagination. The "anti-hero" nuances will have appeared during this process of anticipation. I really like the following versions of Lara, but I must admit that they are not my "favorite". ^^

Quote:
She doesn't even turn back when Carlos dies.
Well, in fact, she couldn't...

Last edited by Lily.J; 29-06-18 at 17:28.
Old 07-07-18, 09:12   #37
dishmush
Hobbyist

Hello friends,

we are live with another chapter. This one is called Against the stream. Lara is going to explore some ancient mechanisms and maybe she will even find a new friend!

For our French speaking friends we have 2 more chapters online now - La cascade et au-delà and Pas vraiment en voie d’extinction.

As always we hope you will enjoy it!
Old 19-07-18, 21:18   #38
Retro Raider
Hobbyist

Great fun! Thanks for sharing and keep up the fantastic work
Old 02-08-18, 16:44   #39
dishmush
Hobbyist

Hello Raiders!

Tha last 2 chapters in French are online now, thanks to Alex Fly
Go check them out!
Old 25-09-18, 18:27   #40
dishmush
Hobbyist

Hello again!

We just finished another chapter, so go chek it out

Inside the tomb of Qualopec is available in both English and French (and Czech if you speak it).

We hope you enjoy it! And we promise we will try to shorten the delays between chapters again, just so many things happening IRL that we didn't have much time to finish.