www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: Which reboot Tomb Raider game is your overall favourite?
Tomb Raider 41 16.94%
Rise of the Tomb Raider 75 30.99%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 104 42.98%
March of the Penguins 22 9.09%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-12-19, 22:24   #121
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

TR2013. I'm sure it has been mentioned already but even though it severely lacks in the tomb raiding department, it was an amazing experience all around. The story was nice, Lara had a very clear and interesting character development, the setting and the setpieces were very memorable. It felt fresh and to me, it fixed a lot of problems I had with LAU. Though it could have been improved in a lot of areas, it was still a concise, nicely packed together adventure with excellent pacing.

I would have voted for Shadow because of the art style, tombs and bigger focus on exploration and traversal, hell I even like the story. But at the end of the day, it still repeated way too many problems that should have not been there since 2013, it was a very disappointing ending to Lara's "coming of age" arc, her personality was flat as a board, and the lack of focus on the actual cataclysms was terrible. Not to count that the lack of combat was a bit of problem, because it's the best and most worked mechanic the reboot had, so it made really obvious how unchallenging the platforming was.

Last edited by VictorXD; 31-12-19 at 22:26.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 20:38   #122
PallasAthene
Archaeologist

I find it difficult to choose which game of this era is my favourite. To me, each of the three games had some pretty big strengths and weaknesses.

-The first game’s story pacing was good. Although I found it way too cinematic for my taste, there’s no doubt that it had a tight and compelling narrative.
-The island of Yamatai was really well done. The history and archaeology of its occupation was really cleverly shown through relics and documents, architecture and art.
-Definitive Edition Lara is the only in game Lara model that I ever actually liked. (I know a lot of people don’t care about this, but to me it matters.)
-But obviously where the game failed was being a good TOMB RAIDER game. I played it through again recently and the tomb puzzles are ridiculously simple and short.

-Rise has my favourite location of all the reboot games in the Syria level, but it was so short.
-It’s a beautiful game and the tombs are probably my favourite of the three games.
-The story is quite rambly at times but it’s kind of decent. I really wished they had finished her origin story with this game.

-The jungles in SOTTR are stunning.
-The story just felt oddly paced. And the ending of Trinity was weird/rushed.
-I did appreciate the effort put into the amount of tombs, but there were so many living people everywhere, by the time I got to Paititi I never really felt truly isolated.

So yeah, I really don’t know, but maybe Rise?

Last edited by PallasAthene; 03-01-20 at 16:05.
PallasAthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 20:51   #123
Maverin
Archaeologist

A little surprised by how loved Rise is. Even though Shadow's my favorite, I'd place TR2013 miles above of Rise.
Old 02-01-20, 20:59   #124
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
A little surprised by how loved Rise is. Even though Shadow's my favorite, I'd place TR2013 miles above of Rise.
IMO, while TR2013 is the most memorable game of the three, from a gameplay perspective, to me ROTTR is TR2013 improved in every possible way coupled with the amazing graphics upgrade
Old 02-01-20, 21:05   #125
PallasAthene
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I wouldn’t say I love it, but I suppose on balance I think it might be the strongest. For me, Shadow would probably have beaten Rise if it had had better story pacing, but it had a lot of recycled content and a rushed final act.

I did like the flashback scene and the final scene back at Croft Manor.
Old 02-01-20, 21:31   #126
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
IMO, while TR2013 is the most memorable game of the three, from a gameplay perspective, to me ROTTR is TR2013 improved in every possible way coupled with the amazing graphics upgrade
I agree very much. Rise is what TR'13 should have been.
Old 02-01-20, 22:01   #127
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I agree very much. Rise is what TR'13 should have been.
hell no. hell no.
Old 02-01-20, 22:04   #128
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
hell no. hell no.
Right. Rise is a study in what not to do after a success (TR2013) ~ referencing Epic Lindstrom :P

TR2013>Rise=TR2018 movie>Shadow=Reboot comics
Old 02-01-20, 23:07   #129
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I stand by what I said. Rise was a much more satisfying experience. The let down is to be too samey and somewhat unimpressive but everything was far better in quite every department.

TR 2013 was a weak start and an unsastifying reboot.
They didn't know how to use the basics of the series to elevate its new concept. They prefered to mix everything trendy in a shameless copycat fashion without adapting them in a thoughful Tomb Raider lense.
They actually throw all the strengh and uniqueness of the series in the back side. The game was almost exclusively a movie-like TPS and that was wrong. Rise and Shadow definitely moved away from this and they embraced more the survival and adventure elements that should be there from the start. I know, they were baby steps and they should push it even further. It was enough for me to appreciate them more.
Anyway, giving the results of the poll, it seems TR 2013 is loosing its popularity in TRF despite its most vocal defenders.
Old 03-01-20, 02:47   #130
Mutant Messiah
Historian

Tomb Raider 2013 was great, but Rise was better than it.

Wether or not Shadow was better than Rise is a completely different issue though.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote