www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: Which reboot Tomb Raider game is your overall favourite?
Tomb Raider 41 16.94%
Rise of the Tomb Raider 75 30.99%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 104 42.98%
March of the Penguins 22 9.09%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-19, 01:07   #41
trfan16
Archaeologist

Tough choice between TR2013 and SOTTR for me. In the end, I chose TR2013. This was the first TR game in a long time where I got 100% completion on multiple playthroughs. It was also a pretty good origin story for Lara and provided a nice set-up for a future TR game. Unfortunately, they decided to span the origin arc over three games when they didn't need to. This game also introduced some new features I enjoyed like the relics and documents. The only downside is that this game lacks Classic TR elements. But those should've been improved on in future games.

SOTTR is a close second for me though. I liked the reintroduction of Classic elements like swimming, more tombs and puzzles, more traps, and the removal of white paint. I also like the jungle setting in this game too. On the downside, some of the Reboot mechanics were getting pretty stale in this game. I also wasn't a big fan of Lara's character progression at the end of the game or the fact that the parents storyline had to be shoehorned into the game AGAIN. Also, the story itself was pretty disappointing and should've included more supernatural elements.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 02:31   #42
laracroftswest
Professor

Shadow. I thoroughly enjoy each of the 3 for very different reasons, but as this is the Tomb Raider franchise, I've found Shadow fits the mold of what a TR should be, more so than the previous two.

All 3 together make for a fun playthrough, and playing Rise+Shadow together as companions also work really well.
Old 11-11-19, 08:28   #43
tombkrc
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
The tomb raider with a great and obvious character development, setting and pacing is my favorite.
Lara falling and getting injured is character development? Lol.

But I do agree with the setting and pacing. I've replayed it at least 10 times and it's still fun to play (and very short too if you skip all the cutscenes).
Old 11-11-19, 12:57   #44
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombkrc View Post

But I do agree with the setting and pacing. I've replayed it at least 10 times and it's still fun to play (and very short too if you skip all the cutscenes).
I'm sorry you're unable to analyze her actions throughout the game.

Last edited by Athukraz; 11-11-19 at 12:59.
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 15:21   #45
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

tomb raider 2013 ofc.
shadow and rise share the second spot as they’re both messes imo. very enjoyable messes, but still messes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombkrc View Post
dumb reply lol
Old 11-11-19, 16:38   #46
TombRaiderLover
Tomb Raider

Although the handling of the Definitive Edition has left a bad taste in my mouth, I still think Shadow is easily the best of the origins trilogy. Each game improves upon its predecessor, and Shadow excels by considerably dialling back on the combat and focusing on exploration and puzzle-solving. Eidos Montreal made a conscious effort to listen to fan feedback and it shows.
Old 11-11-19, 16:53   #47
Linoshi Croft
Legend

It's a tie between Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I feel like each games excels where the other fails. I feel like Shadow played more like a Tomb Raider game, yet Tomb Raider (2013) had a much strong premise and the setting itself was incredibly interesting and well developed. Tomb Raider also has more memorable moment, whereas Shadow is very limited in this regard and the key action moments feel recycled from the previous two games.
Old 11-11-19, 19:45   #48
Cal20608
Student

I think rise would be my favorite out of the three each has their strengths and faults but rise I really enjoy playing and I’ve replayed it more often then any of the reboot trilogy.
Old 11-11-19, 19:52   #49
Lukass
Tomb Raider

I can't believe how many people actually liked Rise. It was so boring and bland. I couldn't stand its omnipresent washed out grey and greyish brown color.
Old 11-11-19, 20:51   #50
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukass View Post
I can't believe how many people actually liked Rise. It was so boring and bland. I couldn't stand its omnipresent washed out grey and greyish brown color.
I found TR'13's colours worse. It's like there's always a sepia filter, but it's the style of the game. Fortunately Yamatai is more varied than Siberia.
Rise has blue icy caverns and the start of Acropolis is quite green. Syria is full of warm colour. I just remember Baba Yaga or Endurance Mode to really lack of colours. They're just (50) shades of grey.
I accept Geothermal Valley the way it is. It is quite washed out but the setting was automnal and I find it to have some charm.