www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 04-12-19, 13:06   #11
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I wonder how early it was decided to cut the other tombs, because if it was way early then IMO the game never had a chance, since to me only the complete game could have achieved greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniversarytr11 View Post
Many other games at the time had implemented the analog stick without problem, look at MGS2, GTA 3, Gran Turismo. If they really wanted to keep it, they could of given the player the options of classic controls or analog controls like many games do.
It doesn't mean they had to have analog controls.

And you speak as if giving the option was something so easy, but back then it wasn't, especially in a game that was already trying so many things, being so ambitions and in a transition time where they had to learn to design for a new machine. It wasn't an option and would only derail the game even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniversarytr11 View Post
And as for sequels getting worse reviews, there are many cases where I believe that proved that is not always true. Uncharted 2 got much better reviews than the first, Portal 2, Half-Life 2, Batman Arkham City, Zelda even TR2.
Yes, there are exceptions, but the rule is the originals get higher ratings.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 04-12-19 at 13:34. Reason: verb conjugation
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 14:36   #12
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Sequels always get lower scores. It doesn't matter if they're better or worse, they will probably get lower scores. It's unfair, if you ask me, but it's the truth.

About the initial decision to stick to tank-controls, Sony should have respected that. It came from the devs understanding of what would work best for their game. It was in no way a mistake. In the video it seems like it worked really well. Sony could ask for analog control on the next game, when that started development and wasn't yet late in development like AoD was.

Now what I think was a mistake from Core was that system where Lara gets stronger doing things. Was that always meant to be in the game?
PS2 got games with D-Pad controls before AOD. Sony suddenly decided to add that rule for some reason.

Onimusha 1 and 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica didn't supported left analog stick for movement and yet Sony had no problem with those games.

Edit:It kinda makes me feel that Sony just wanted to sabotage AOD.+
Core Design should have made AOD Xbox exclusive.

Last edited by dg1995; 04-12-19 at 14:48.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 17:51   #13
Jason Kilich
Hobbyist

Knowing this is kinda shocking now, it's unbelieveable how much stress the Team probaly had, thanks for sharing this!
Jason Kilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 18:29   #14
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

I remember reading about the beta documents that were shared here some years ago. Could someone either point me in their direction (if that's allowed) or make a comparison list of what was cut from the beta and what remained in the final game
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 18:35   #15
Ellioft
Professor

Core send eight times AOD to the PlayStation quality control before being able to public the game it was rejected seven times wich is a lot.
Old 04-12-19, 18:49   #16
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Core send eight times AOD to the PlayStation quality control before being able to public the game it was rejected seven times wich is a lot.
Playstation has quality control?

I mean no offense but there are some quite bad PS2 games.

Now I wonder what it takes to get rejected.
Old 04-12-19, 18:59   #17
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Wow really? Holy crap, what state was the game in to get rejected that many times?

If this is true then Eidos decision makes even less sense.

I mean why didn't they just give them one more year to work on the game when it got rejected by the 3rd time from Sony. Would that not have given them a red flag to hold off on the release?

I mean I get they already extended the deadline twice and Core had 4 years to work on this, but some things were beyond their control. Especially the fact that the PS2 was underpowered and couldn't run the original game. Sony took their sweet time releasing the dev kits. I mean sure Core probably shouldn't have tried to do too much without knowing, but at the same time they knew they had to do something stellar.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 04-12-19 at 19:03.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 19:11   #18
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I took a look at an article on AoD right now and, in my opinion, the only decision that could have saved this game is if Chronicles didn't exist. Because when the veterans working on Chronicles merged with AoD's team, they had to "cut 90 percent" of the game. Maybe if the team was whole from the beginning, nothing would have to be cut. I believe that decision assured the game couldn't possibly be very good. And I believe nothing else Eidos did could make up for their terrible decision and save the game.
Old 04-12-19, 19:19   #19
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I took a look at an article on AoD right now and, in my opinion, the only decision that could have saved this game is if Chronicles didn't exist. Because when the veterans working on Chronicles merged with AoD's team, they had to "cut 90 percent" of the game. Maybe if the team was whole from the beginning, nothing would have to be cut. I believe that decision assured the game couldn't possibly be very good. And I believe nothing else Eidos did could make up for their terrible decision and save the game.
Nice find, I remember reading about the markets and how AOD would going to be a mix of open worldish concepts. I think there was a concept imagine or two in the concept thread that showed Lara walking into a market to purchase guns.

If the true AOD came out it definitely would have been a PS3/360 title given all the improvements and the massiveness of the game they were originally going for.

Chronicles for sure killed this game. What I don't understand is why did they put their more experienced members for Chronicles? I'm pretty sure they could have put their B team on Chronicles and their long time veterans on AOD. They probably would have forsaw the fact that the PS2 wouldn't be as capable as a PC and would have scaled the project back way before anything was actually developed.

Edit

Also the drama going on at TRF sounds like a cake walk compared to the drama going on behind closed doors with AOD.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 04-12-19 at 19:28.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 19:50   #20
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

@Charmed This part of this article reminds me so much the current state of TR: "management trying to cram every new game idea into the design stealth from Metal Gear, character interaction from Shenmue, upgradeable attributes from RPG games, and so on. Instead of letting the team make a really great Tomb Raider game.