www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 07-12-19, 10:10   #31
ESCachuli
Professor

What I dont get is the need they had to add so many new elements, like NPC interaction, rpg, open World, currency, etc. It wasnt going to make the game any better. Just slower.

In fact, as one of the TR1 devs said about all the things Toby Gard wanted to add, "its too easy to be too ambitious". You also need to know if you can deliver everything.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 12:11   #32
Caesum
Tomb Raider

iirc originally Core wanted to remake TR1 for PS2 first before doing TR6, so they definitely weren't too ambitious in the beginning. Only Eidos wanted to introduce Lara to PS2 with a big bang

Last edited by Caesum; 07-12-19 at 12:13.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 12:23   #33
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
What I dont get is the need they had to add so many new elements, like NPC interaction, rpg, open World, currency, etc. It wasnt going to make the game any better. Just slower.
Unfortunately, I believe the management forced those features to the developers.

-"MGS 2 is so successful. Add Stealth to this game !"
-"Shenmue is popular, Add some of that game's features!"
-"Resident Evil Has second playable characters. Bring it in AOD !"
-"RPG games are popular, add this to AOD!"

They kinda learned their lesson for Legend which had barely any new features other than easier controls and much easier platforming and more simple level design.
dg1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 12:45   #34
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
iirc originally Core wanted to remake TR1 for PS2 first before doing TR6, so they definitely weren't too ambitious in the beginning. Only Eidos wanted to introduce Lara to PS2 with a big bang
What? Didnít Core start development on TR:AE after stopping work on AoD2? Thatís news to me, if true....
Old 07-12-19, 13:37   #35
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I don't think it was ever considered as TRAE at the time, or if it was in any way related to TRAE. It was mentioned HERE.

Quote:
Eidos had wanted a revamp of the established Tomb Raider gameplay, Jeremy Heath-Smith says. Core had wanted to remake Tomb Raider 1 for PS2, which it thought would go down well with fans and help get the studio up and running on the new tech. But Eidos wouldn't have it.

"I should have stuck to my guns, but I gave in to pressure from Eidos," he says. "They just wanted more. They wanted bigger. They wanted interaction. They wanted Lara to talk to people. They wanted decision making - do you go down this street, that street, take this from them, ask them this? Just stuff that was happening in gaming at the time, we shoehorned into Angel of Darkness."
So they were considering remaking TR1 back then to get accustomed with the tech at the time, but it was only a very loose idea that was quickly dropped because Eidos wanted something grand. I don't think it was in any way related to TRAE, or at least there's no info about it.

Last edited by Caesum; 07-12-19 at 13:38.
Old 07-12-19, 13:51   #36
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I don't think it was ever considered as TRAE at the time, or if it was in any way related to TRAE. It was mentioned HERE.

So they were considering remaking TR1 back then to get accustomed with the tech at the time, but it was only a very loose idea that was quickly dropped because Eidos wanted something grand. I don't think it was in any way related to TRAE, or at least there's no info about it.
Well, good catch, that is enlightening!
Old 07-12-19, 17:37   #37
noonbob
Professor

It's a shame because installments that came after are worse.

I love how detailed Core's games are. Just look at how smooth the animations are. They put effort into things like that and it shows.
Better than the Reboot Trilogy.
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 19:20   #38
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonbob View Post
It's a shame because installments that came after are worse.

I love how detailed Core's games are. Just look at how smooth the animations are. They put effort into things like that and it shows.
Better than the Reboot Trilogy.
Yeah. Reboot animations are kinda buggy. Few times those climbing animations with pickaxes made Lara to fall while she was rock climbing in my playthrough of Rise.(Since she kinda moved into non climbable areas.)
dg1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 12:06   #39
Jorje Croft
Professor

they should release different version for PC that would fix everything. it happened with some games back then when console versions where totally different. I blame Sony.
Old 08-12-19, 12:12   #40
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I seem to recall that Steam and GOG sometimes have their own versions of some old games. These versions have their own patches that make them compatible with new hardware/OS and fix some bugs. I wish something like that was made for TRAOD, or generally TR series.

Imagine something like Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, but for TRAOD (and TR1-5 too).