www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 31-01-20, 09:28   #81
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
AOD was really a classic style TR game in gameplay with some new ideas here and there.(Focus on platforming like classics , Booby traps , the same Lara that was in previous games , the same type of combat with the addition of lock on , puzzles , focus on exploration , Tombs being a part of storyline)

After AOD, in the next TR games:

1.They made the platforming automated with just one type of jump for Lara.

2.Made booby traps much inferior compare to classic games.

3.Made TR games more action focused compare to the way they were.

4.Made newer versions of Lara instead of bringing back the classic Lara.

AOD really damaged the franchise much more than you think.
I'm sorry but I can't agree. Legend already had more traps than AOD, Legend Lara resembled classic Lara more than AOD Lara [AOD Lara was suddenly much darker, even in appearance, and with a questionable attitude]. AOD wasn't focused on platforming all that much either, the most memorable things are running around talking to NPC's and action pieces like in the Louvre. There aren't that many puzzles outside of Tomb of Ancients and Hall of seasons.

I absolutely love this game, but it doesn't belong to the classics or the post core games. It's just in a category of it's own.
Old 31-01-20, 12:27   #82
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I'm sorry but I can't agree. Legend already had more traps than AOD, Legend Lara resembled classic Lara more than AOD Lara [AOD Lara was suddenly much darker, even in appearance, and with a questionable attitude]. AOD wasn't focused on platforming all that much either, the most memorable things are running around talking to NPC's and action pieces like in the Louvre. There aren't that many puzzles outside of Tomb of Ancients and Hall of seasons.

I absolutely love this game, but it doesn't belong to the classics or the post core games. It's just in a category of it's own.
Legend had more traps ?

I played Legend once and it really had much less booby traps compare to AOD.(And majority of them were just easy QTEs)

Also AOD had better platforming in that breath of hades room than the entirety of Legend.(Because AOD had more type of jumps compare to Legend)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 13:50   #83
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Legend had more traps ?

I played Legend once and it really had much less booby traps compare to AOD.(And majority of them were just easy QTEs)
I believe so yes. There's the boulders, blades and spikes in bolivia, the spear traps and spikes in Peru, the gun turrets in Japan, the many spear traps, spikes, boulders and spinning blades in Ghana, the fire, spinning fans, live wires, gas traps, electrified poles, dangling sockets in Kazakhstan, electrified areas, spear traps, flame traps, spinning blades in England, the icicles, freezing water and crumbling platforms in Nepal [although I'll admit these are not really traps but rather part of the platforming]. There are plenty of traps!

AOD has laser traps, poisinous gas in the louvre, dart traps and blades in hall of seasons and some fire traps, mutated plants and turrets in Prague, spikes, boiling water and blade traps near the end of the game. Otherwise it's pretty much platforming and shooting enemies. I guess you can count the instances of crumbling floors as traps as well.

Quote:
Also AOD had better platforming in that breath of hades room than the entirety of Legend.(Because AOD had more type of jumps compare to Legend)
AOD might have more types of jumps but they are extremely underutilized anyway. The 'short jump' is only used once, in breath of Hades. The long sprint + jump is only unlocked at the very end and you'll probably use it once to get to the gate in lost domain. I truly enjoyed the platforming in Legend and it felt like everything a Tomb Raider game should have. The platforming in AOD isn't bad either but I wouldn't necessarily put it above Legend.