www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 15-12-19, 15:33   #71
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

While I do think Paititi is a little bit pace breaking (but so was ROTTR, for example, where they were usiung the horn to call people to gather up cause Trinity was coming, but you could roam around and do some stuff before progressing the story), the Apocalypse theme is still touched upon

Firstly when Lara retrieves the serpent key, and goes back to Etzli and the chase happens, a foreshock happens during that setpiece. Then another one happens when she's at the Cenote. Plot wise, this all happens in the same day, so it's not like the Apocalypse wasn't felt in Paititi - it just didn't cause mass destruction so far. From the time she reaches Paititi until she leaves, it all happens canonically in a matter of a couple of hours. So, while the idea of seeing mass destruction would be cool, I prefer we ended up with the city in its full glory and thriving, considering both Yamatai and Siberia were either destroyed, small, or outright abandoned ruins (Kitezh), so it was nice to see a big whole ass city still in most of its glory - that's why I came to love Paititi over time.

Edit: additional note, the "fetching a dice for some kid" quest was more than just that. It was actually a teaching moment, and it did have impact on Lara as a character. The whole goal of that quest was for her to see that sacrifices can make your life better and you don't have to live in the shadow of your family legacy. That you can't control everythin, and it's what you make of your situation that defines you. This is the conclusion she reaches by the end of that quest.

Also in line with that, I'm glad side quests were added to the game, because for Lore nerds like me, they enrich the story

Last edited by Vaskito; 15-12-19 at 15:38.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 15:49   #72
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Classic Tomb Raider is better in the fact that it isn't trying so hard to be "ReLAtaBle"

The present is the present, nothing's changed, no old men here.
As I said, 2020 is almost here. New features (when well executed) are welcome. Social hubs can be fun if well executed; there's nothing wrong with a RPG touch in a game whose genre is different to add more variety and gameplay depth-choice. I don't know what you tried to say with ReLaTabLe, even though I have an idea, but it sounds good if it's done well so werk.

Yes, TR is an action-adventure game, so what? Where does it say that this kind of games cannot have side missions? I wanna see the page in the holy gaming book where this rule is written. Last time I checked that book genres could get mixed or adapt features from each other while still be part of the original genre.

Nitpicking and complaining about everything new and different from the goOd GaMeS won't get us anywhere apart from not fully enjoying the recent installments.
Old 15-12-19, 15:53   #73
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Because that excuse is just nit picking. It's like those guys just want to create more reasons to hate Paititi.(or they are just parroting a celebrity youtuber's opinion about it.)
You should still respect others' thoughts, whatever they may be. If you don't agree with it, fine; but there are ways to express yourself without being a bully.

Quote:
If they hate doing side quests there, then they could just do the main quests there. The game is not responsible for ruining the story pacing.It's those players fault since they could just do the main quests insted of doing those "boring side quests" and blaming the game for a problem they made themselves.
You are still missing the point. The side quests are just an example. From the point Lara arrives in the city, the ongoing apocalypse gets in the background, and focus on useless family feud within the city. It doesn't help that each story mission sends you to the farthest point of the map, only to be restricted almost every way possible, to the point that you can't even run or jump.
Also, Lara focusing on rescuing everything and everyone, instead of fixing the crap she caused. The plotpoints like Etzli and Unuratu are just unnecessary (even if I like the latter) since Lara could figure it out alone.( how to stop the apocalypse) After all, she reached the city by herself.
Also, the dark undertone (of the apocalypse and Lara's state of mind) is just gone, once Patooti is reached. After that, everything is sunny, a colorful and whatnot.
In other words: no sense of urgence of stopping the world's end, does break the pace.

Quote:
Also, Collecting secrets is far more useful in the reboot since those give you XP points and items that you can sell...
Once again, those are not secrets, if they can be uncovered without getting close to them and set waypoint to them.
Also.. duh, it has a merchant system, while classics relied on solely the enemies dropping stuff.

Quote:
..while in the Original TR games they just give you some extra firepower and items.
I find it far more useful, since your health won't regenerate by itself, and there are no ammo and arrow at every corner. Each weapon has its own perks, so they can be used strategically. Unlike reboot, where everything becomes overpowered from the second or third upgrade.
Or should I say poison arrow only run?

Quote:
Classic TR games always gave you enough resources to survive without the need if finding secrets.
Reboot does give you everything too: craft on the go, get resources practically from everything (jars, corpses,sticks, whatever), even on DO/ES.
So...

Quote:
The only TR games where finding secrets was useful was TR 3.(but the game has this huge issue that there is no level select feature in the game.)
That's your opinion...
Finding secrets in the classics is generally useful, minus chronicles, since you won't benefit from golden roses.(I could include the classic handheld titles with their secrets too)

Last edited by Zsott; 15-12-19 at 15:57.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 16:05   #74
Rai

Thank you Vaskito

Additionally, while Paititi itself isn't affected by any actual physical damage caused by the earthquake or volcanic eruption, the people were aware of the death of the sun, the eclipse, which was Amaru's main concern. It's the reason Lara is looking for the box, something she never stops looking for. Admittedly, that potential threat could have been handled better, perhaps with the darkening sky. Any slowing of the pace in the hub areas (which is pretty evident in all three games) is bound to feel worse if the player stops off on side quests or to explore for tombs.
Old 15-12-19, 16:14   #75
iWANEX
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Yes.
How? Because as far as I know you can skip that and stick to the main objective, in which you wouldn't notice any pacing issues.

It's like when you need to get to Captain Jessop in TR2013. There's a tomb nearby that you can raid even though the story is telling you that that's not what you have to do. You break the pace of purpose. You can't say something breaks the pace of the story if it's optional. That's not how it works.

Again, you guys should play the game without the side content and the pacing is great. Everything you do there that's mandatory progresses the story.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 16:20   #76
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
As I said, 2020 is almost here. New features (when well executed) are welcome. Social hubs can be fun if well executed; there's nothing wrong with a RPG touch in a game whose genre is different to add more variety and gameplay depth-choice. I don't know what you tried to say with ReLaTabLe, even though I have an idea, but it sounds good if it's done well so werk.

Yes, TR is an action-adventure game, so what? Where does it say that this kind of games cannot have side missions? I wanna see the page in the holy gaming book where this rule is written. Last time I checked that book genres could get mixed or adapt features from each other while still be part of the original genre.

Nitpicking and complaining about everything new and different from the goOd GaMeS won't get us anywhere apart from not fully enjoying the recent installments.
You can eat whatever they put on your plate, but some of us are a bit more cultured.
Old 15-12-19, 16:39   #77
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
How? Because as far as I know you can skip that and stick to the main objective, in which you wouldn't notice any pacing issues.

It's like when you need to get to Captain Jessop in TR2013. There's a tomb nearby that you can raid even though the story is telling you that that's not what you have to do. You break the pace of purpose. You can't say something breaks the pace of the story if it's optional. That's not how it works.

Again, you guys should play the game without the side content and the pacing is great. Everything you do there that's mandatory progresses the story.
I almost used Captain Jessop as an example in my post. I spent ages in Mountain Village exploring for relics and documents, doing the tomb etc before moving on, even though story wise, Lara is determined to reach him.
Old 15-12-19, 19:16   #78
Costel
Archaeologist

I dont get why side quests in Paititi are hated for breaking the pace but side quests in Kuyak Yaku and San Juan get a pass? Also side tombs and crypts are not breaking the pace?
Old 15-12-19, 19:22   #79
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
I dont get why side quests in Paititi are hated for breaking the pace but side quests in Kuyak Yaku and San Juan get a pass? Also side tombs and crypts are not breaking the pace?
Tombs and crypts don't break the pace because they make sense for Lara to do. What doesn't make sense is for Lara to solve a murder or to find dice for people. Tombs and Crypts are something active that Lara is doing, but those other things are passive and don't made anything major to the game. They just slow things down.
Old 15-12-19, 19:36   #80
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Tombs and crypts don't break the pace because they make sense for Lara to do. What doesn't make sense is for Lara to solve a murder or to find dice for people. Tombs and Crypts are something active that Lara is doing, but those other things are passive and don't made anything major to the game. They just slow things down.
Side tombs and crypts that offers nothing but some skills and outfits in a story that can be completed easy without having them.
But let me fix it for you:
Side tombs and crypts dont break the pace cause we like them.
Every side things that we like doing does not break the pace.
Every side things that we dont like doing does break the pace.

Double standard ,no?